What oil is best? and what ratio?

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
11:34 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Synthetic oils will leave a coating on metal parts that will delay the break in time required.

It is part of the reason they reduce wear so much, especially when starting in the cold.

I'm letting my new F-150 eco boost break in of the semi synthetic that came in it for 5,000 miles, then will go to full synthetic.

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Synthetic oils reduce friction...
Plain and simple...

It is more than that Jeff.

Using conventional oil, most wear occurs during start up, before oil pressure builds. Synthetics greatly reduce this problem by leaving a coating on the parts. You can even get away with running briefly w/o any oil.

They are also far superior to reducing breakdown both thermally and from fuel contamination. This is why they remain effective so much longer than conventional oils.

Advances in oils and anti-freeze are part of the reason cars and trucks now last so much longer. (remember changing anti freeze every 2-3 years???)

It used to be that if a car was 5 years old and had 100,000 miles, it was spent! Not any more!

andyshine77

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Synthetic oils reduce friction...
Plain and simple...
Sorry that just isn't correct. Synthetic oil is just more stable, it does not reduce friction due to the oil being more slippery if you will, it's because synthetic oils can provide thinner weights without breaking down. PAO oil will not cling to metal more than mineral oil, that would take an ester based oil. Synthetic is better in the cold because it flows better at low temperatures. There is virtually no difference between semi synthetic and synthetic oil, especially oils like 5W 20 they have to be a full synthetic despite what it says on the bottle. So Mike you're actually breaking the engine in with a synthetic oil.

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
But they do reduce friction...
Why I stated plain and SIMPLE.
But you are correct. They do much more than just reduce friction...
Too many positive attributes to list...

SO......
How about that Yamalube 2R?
OR that Honda HP2??

andyshine77

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

SO......
OR that Honda HP2??
I like both and Maxima K2. Well Saber is ok too, Super M is alright, if you run your equipment often Klotz original techniplate is good, Motul 710 has a flowing, some like Schaefer's......... [emoji16][emoji16][emoji16]

full chizel

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

SO......
OR that Honda HP2??

Hp2 has been fantastic in every 2 stroke i own from generator to dirt bikes for about 10 years. Even the FVP synthetic oil from Menards i’ve used hasn’t blown anything up. It even comes in 40:1 bottles.