High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

What oil is best? and what ratio?

bwalker

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
12:19 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Temperature ranges they are designed to operate at. Boat motors are water cooled and therefore operate much cooler than you running your air cooled chainsaw in the summer in 100f milling lumber. Theory is it may not stick around as long running boat oil in a saw since it's designed to run at cooler temps, ie vaporize.

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk
Tcw3 oils use dispersants instead of mettalic based detergents. Dispersants dont function well or at all above ring belt temps of 250 degrees.

Clemsonfor

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Your assuming the saw was run 40 hours a week.
When I logged no one I am aware of got 12 years out of a saw or even close to it no matter he much it was babied.
Well he just added up working hours a week then basically took 10% of that number as claimed running hours.

But I agree none of my loggers have saws for that long. They usually are destroyed way earlier due to neglect, rough treatment or accidental damage from running them over or crushing them somehow. But very few loggers fell in these parts with saws anymore. Some still cut tops on hardwood or pine ply logs with a ground man though.

bwalker

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Well he just added up working hours a week then basically took 10% of that number as claimed running hours.

But I agree none of my loggers have saws for that long. They usually are destroyed way earlier due to neglect, rough treatment or accidental damage from running them over or crushing them somehow. But very few loggers fell in these parts with saws anymore. Some still cut tops on hardwood or pine ply logs with a ground man though.

I've never seen one go twelve years with out motor failure of some sort. I logged 6-8 months per year and after 2 years the engines where starting to lose some snap. After three you are on borrowed time.
I've also rebuilt a few after a few years and the wear is significant.

bwalker

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Temperature ranges they are designed to operate at. Boat motors are water cooled and therefore operate much cooler than you running your air cooled chainsaw in the summer in 100f milling lumber. Theory is it may not stick around as long running boat oil in a saw since it's designed to run at cooler temps, ie vaporize.

I just noticed that. Am at work and skimmed through it. I still think the 1000hour claim is likely BS.

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I just noticed that. Am at work and skimmed through it. I still think the 1000hour claim is likely BS.
I've seen and run the saw he's talking about. It definitely has at least 1000 hours on it. And I've seen the piston and cylinder. They are clean and spotless. I understand your point about running an oil that is recommended for the application. I totally get it. But Scott is also using what he has proven works for him. I've used that oil as well and it is the cleanest burning oil of any that I've tried. And there is always excess oil on the piston and in the bottom of the case when I tear them apart afterwards

bwalker

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I've seen and run the saw he's talking about. It definitely has at least 1000 hours on it. And I've seen the piston and cylinder. They are clean and spotless. I understand your point about running an oil that is recommended for the application. I totally get it. But Scott is also using what he has proven works for him. I've used that oil as well and it is the cleanest burning oil of any that I've tried. And there is always excess oil on the piston and in the bottom of the case when I tear them apart afterwards
I've ran the same oil that I purchased off Redbull. It was dirty, smelling, smokey stuff just like all TCW3 oils. I knew it was a TCW3 oil just based on the amino smell even before I looked it up.
Any engine can run clean if its ran rich. Plausible given how dirty the muffler is.
I still dont buy the 100 hour part. Could be wrong though.

Clemsonfor

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've ran the same oil that I purchased off Redbull. It was dirty, smelling, smokey stuff just like all TCW3 oils. I knew it was a TCW3 oil just based on the amino smell even before I looked it up.
Any engine can run clean if its ran rich. Plausible given how dirty the muffler is.
I still dont buy the 100 hour part. Could be wrong though.

bwalker

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I know the tcw3 oilbin my old jonnyrude makes my eyes water when I would ski or knee board behind the boat.

The amines used for dispersants along with the heavier base oils are what cause TCW3 ashless type oils to stink.

00wyk

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
5:19 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm on my last bottle of this stuff.

GaryGoo.jpg