What oil is best? and what ratio?

Willard

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
8:22 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What makes a saw run dirty emmissions wise isnt the oil. It's the over lap in transfer and exhasut port timing that causes high amounts of unburnt HC in the exhaust. IE it's the fuel passing through the engine unburnt in the scavenging process.
I think you misunderstood me when I said "saw running cleaner". I meant cleaner for the environment and my body. Even Stihl and Husqvarna warn the dangers of petroleum bar oil mist in the air. Bio 2 cycle mix would be a bonus too.

Last edited:

bwalker

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
9:22 AM
User ID
Reaction score
I think you misunderstood me when I said "saw running cleaner". I meant cleaner for the environment and my body. Even Stihl and Husqvarna warn the dangers of petroleum bar oil mist in the air. Bio 2 cycle mix would be a bonus too.
You are inhaling half the gas you run through your saw too.

bwalker

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I re-read the 2 cycle mix oil safety data sheet again and it's 5 pages not 4.
Lots of good info there with OSHA included, makes me a believer.
https://www.nvearth.com/2-cycle
There was a company called Blue Marble that made the same sort of claims ten or so years ago. The stuff ended up being real crap.
To be honest I dont trust anything from a small blended. God knows how good it is and you know they dont have the money to actually certify and test anything.

Clemsonfor

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
There was a company called Blue Marble that made the same sort of claims ten or so years ago. The stuff ended up being real crap.
To be honest I dont trust anything from a small blended. God knows how good it is and you know they dont have the money to actually certify and test anything.
Didn't they say it was FD certified?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

3browns

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
5:22 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Didn't they say it was FD certified?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Their words; "This product is designed to exceed JASO FD for superior engine protection"

If it doesn't have the JASO emblem it hasn't been tested and certified

They can claim whatever they want and it's possible it meets the specs but if they didn't get the testing and certification that's all it is....

A claim

Shanesaw80

Tree Assassin
Local time
7:22 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I always wondered if inhaling sawdust from using a chainsaw might cause a chronic lung issue.

Inhaling any foreign particle can’t be good for a person. I know when we fall western red cedar it’s hard on the respitory system and can lead to a number of health problems long term. It’s sucks because it smells great as you’re cutting it lol

3browns

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
While you are at it look up how canola oil is produced

It's made from pressed Rape seed but it's highly refined using solvents, one of which is hexane, which is a constituent of gasoline

It's not made by bunnies in a magic forest and it has an industrial footprint

If you or anyone you know cooks with canola and you look at frying pans they generally have a residue "cooked" onto them (pardon the pun) that is yellowish and doesn't come off with dynamite or flamethrowers

It's frequently coating the stove hood or exhaust too and just try to get it off

Thats overheated canola oil and it polymerized

It turned into a plastic

I am not saying it doesn't work and I am not saying don't use it

Just know it's not the kind and friendly product its frequently made out to be

3browns

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I apologize for going on a rampage but I had some serious health concerns a few years back and I had to make some hard choices and learn a LOT about foods and fats in particular and trust me...

There are very few fats that are derived from plants that are truly good for you

Many are more highly processed than dino stuff and are much worse for you

Again, my apologies

Willard

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You are inhaling half the gas you run through your saw too.
I'm not as much concerned about gas fumes as I do about the thicker stuff it's mixed with.
Fumes evaporate, oil residue whether burned or unburned settles on and in you and the environment.

Willard

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well that was 10 or so years ago, you just keep blending your dino stuff. You gotta make a living some how:)