What oil is best? and what ratio?

foragefarmer

70cc groupie
Local time
7:12 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I quit using it cause it choked me out milling. It didn’t burn unless you were milling to really load the saw.

It made me physically ill after milling. My bones ached and I got the shakes like I had a nasty case of the flu for a couple hours afterwards. I must be allergic to something in the formulation. I switched to another oil and don't experience those symptoms after milling anymore.

Note: I am simply speaking to my personal experience. I don't think my reaction is typical.

Second note: I have a barely open big jug of it and will ship it to anyone that wants it. Send me a PM.

Clemsonfor

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Put that in the Christmas thread! Haha
It made me physically ill after milling. My bones ached and I got the shakes like I had a nasty case of the flu for a couple hours afterwards. I must be allergic to something in the formulation. I switched to another oil and don't experience those symptoms after milling anymore.

Note: I am simply speaking to my personal experience. I don't think my reaction is typical.

Second note: I have a barely open big jug of it and will ship it to anyone that wants it. Send me a PM.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

CR888

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
9:12 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Na, Everyone is entitled to there own opinion and im not looking for any specific answer. I started running H1R back when it was the best on AS....maybe 4ish years ago.? Since then, I haven't been on any forums and priorities have been elsewhere. Look up now, and now H1R sucks lol. While I was working with equipment running H1R for the last 4ish years, I missed the discussion somewhere of why H1R sucked so badly. Just was asking for a simple run down why, and I got it.

Im not one to ask about H1R. I have run quite a bit of it, but I dont pull mufflers and such to observe just the oil mix. Maybe I should.... I will say I have noticed myself that it does tune a bit funky...it needs considerably more on the screws. After the initial tune though, I haven't had any tuneability issues.

Yep, I like your answer and all others too.
I too remember years ago on many AS 'what oil do you run' threads where 90% of folks stated with passion they ran either H1R, Stihl Ultra, or Motul 800. Builders recommended these oils & you were not to argue against the collective wisdom! When I mentioned I ran mineral oil & liked it, I was cast aside as a clearly stupid fellow perhaps having leprosy! Nothing would change the minds of the 'Saw-God-Greats'. It took some time, but things did change...

bwalker

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I too remember years ago on many AS 'what oil do you run' threads where 90% of folks stated with passion they ran either H1R, Stihl Ultra, or Motul 800. Builders recommended these oils & you were not to argue against the collective wisdom! When I mentioned I ran mineral oil & liked it, I was cast aside as a clearly stupid fellow perhaps having leprosy! Nothing would change the minds of the 'Saw-God-Greats'. It took some time, but things did change...
Most of the the people making recommendations on AS, including the builders dont have a clue. Hence you have guys recommending everything from boat oil to castor oil.
It's the same situation in the hunting world. Outfitters for instance may know alot about hunting, but most have limited knowledge as it pertains to guns and ammo.

Last edited:

CR888

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Some folks would post a pic of their selection of 2T oil quartz that would resemble a well stocked bar. Depending on how they 'felt' would determine which oil they would mix up & use next. lol!!
And after running half a tank of their favourite exotic they offer a detailed review.

Terry Syd

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Perhaps instead of which brand of oil, maybe the emphasis with oil is just run as much as you're happy to use.

If we want to talk about engine wear, then someone should start a thread on air filters. That's where most of the engine wear comes from, the ingestion of dust. Hmm, then we can get into a long discussion on which oil to use on the air filter...

Clemsonfor

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm still running K2[emoji13]
That won't be cool anymore in a month or two. It will be proven to not run right and actually maybe hurt your motor.

We all might actually be running saw two stroke oil again next year! Haha

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

bwalker

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
The absurdity of all this is we are arguing what oil is best for a cheap and basically disposable piece of equipment. And one that's in such a low state of tune that almost any oil of the appropriate type will work just fine even with severe abuse and neglect. Castor oil and boat oil are not of the appropriate type BTW.

bwalker

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Whst is the purpose of Castor oil then?
KT100 air cooled kart motors would be one, vintage air cooled road racers would be another.
Oils with some castor blended in such as Klotz Super Techniplate and Maxima 927 can be useful in a ATV or bike operated in dunes.