What oil is best? and what ratio?

CR888

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
10:15 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My local & only gas station which is a Shell one has stopped selling a range of 2 stroke oils except for the FA rated cheap saw/mower/ope oil that is made with bright stock :(. But to clear the shelve they marked down their existing Shell Advance (PIB stock) mineral FC & semi synthetic FD premium oils to $6 a litre! I bought everything on the shelf! The lady serving me thought I was a bit strange, but before they were $28 & $33 a bottle so $6 is a damn bargain here in OZ! I got 9 litres of semi & 4 litres of straight mineral (which is the good stuff!). So 13 bottles for $78 is about what I'd pay for 3! I'm stoked but kinda enjoyed gas stations are more interested these days selling you chocolate & chips than anything auto related.:(

junkman

Crush it
Local time
4:15 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I prefer wet now over alil performance. Longevity has to be better?
I used to think the same thing ,i was talking to a guy that runs saws all day cutting timber ,he runs 50 to 1 ,the saws chassis wears out before the jugs do he said ,i also noticed at 40 or 32 to 1 my saws don't smoke when cold because they are running leaner ,at 50 to 1 i get some smoke on startup ,smoke tells me rich ? What do you think ? My string trimmer runs cooler at 50 to 1 also and spools up quicker .I do not think these little engines need the protection we think they do to survive .Just an observation my me ,i could be entirely wrong though .

sawmikaze

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
7:15 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Not sure here fellers. The purpose of the oil is friction reduction. Less oil and drier cant be as effective IMO

I know of entirely too many chainsaws that live a long hard life on 50:1 and cheap ass oil with a blocked air filter and half assed chain to think you need to run more oil for a saw to live long..

Keith Gandy

Maxima K2 40:1 87 Pump Gas
Local time
6:15 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I know of entirely too many chainsaws that live a long hard life on 50:1 and cheap ass oil with a blocked air filter and half assed chain to think you need to run more oil for a saw to live long..
And Ryan I see them daily scored to hell and back with the same setup20180725_093052.jpg .

Keith Gandy

Maxima K2 40:1 87 Pump Gas
Local time
6:15 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So if a lack of oil caused that then adding oil would prevent it? Question is at what point of adding oil is just enough to get by but would adding even more further reduce even more friction? IMO yes:), will performance suffer marginally? IMO yes

Last edited:

sawmikaze

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
7:15 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So if a lack of oil caused that then adding oil would prevent it? Question is at what point of adding oil is just enough to get by but would adding even more further reduce even more friction? IMO yes:)

There isn't a chance in hell 50:1 did that to that piston.