What oil is best? and what ratio?

Keith Gandy

Maxima K2 40:1 87 Pump Gas
Local time
3:50 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Been using this for 9 months and really like it. Very little exhaust smoke even mixed @ 32:1. I just wish the dye was a little bit darker. I got a bunch of it when the price was right.View attachment 88879
John Deere and Cat both make a red dye that can be used

PissRev

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
4:50 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
@Keith Gandy I originally got it to dye MX2T and it works great. .5cc dyed 3 gallons nicely.

20170318_193712-jpg.61477

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
@Keith Gandy I don't actually know precisely where my tune was at that particular day. I don't use a tach. In my opinion it was certainly on the "safe" side. Now it certainly could have been my fault and no fault of the oil.
Just that there's no doubt she was dry dry dry inside. The bearing is what gave up. Gave the Piston just enough play to start touching the roof of the Cylinder. A chunk of the Piston or roof of the Cylinder is what stuck the ring. Easier to see in person just what had happened. I'll certainly not use any more Lucas.

PissRev

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
@Keith Gandy

I checked the JD dye MSDS and it is Dow Chemical Automate Red IK HF. Some Googling led me to this info:

AUTOMATE RED IKHF is a single phase, liquid concentrated solvent soluble dye containing C.I. Solvent Red 164 and provided in a high flash, aromatic solvent system. The solvent is used in the product as a viscosity depressant and standardizing agent.
The product has been found to be completely miscible in all petroleum fuels, lubricating oils and many other related hydrocarbon solvents, including grease and hydraulic oils. Common applications include the coloration of lubricants such as Automatic Transmission fluids and 2 cycle oils. It has also found use in a variety of other applications including the coloration of fuels, solvents, polishes, fertilizers, explosives, adhesives and for leak detection. It can be mixed with other colors in the AUTOMATE product line to create a limitless number of shades.

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I was honestly gonna just get the ring loose and run the hell out of it some more till I saw the bearing is all but detonated. Didn't hurt the Cylinder at all. Not as far as me reusing it. Piston scored up but for my personal junk I run I was gonna let it eat. The bearing being gone is what kills the deal for me. Haven't fully decided what to do. May just part it out. May fix it when I get around to it which is likely never. I have a spare 346 anyhow. Really not a huge collector

Keith Gandy

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
@Keith Gandy I don't actually know precisely where my tune was at that particular day. I don't use a tach. In my opinion it was certainly on the "safe" side. Now it certainly could have been my fault and no fault of the oil.
Just that there's no doubt she was dry dry dry inside. The bearing is what gave up. Gave the Piston just enough play to start touching the roof of the Cylinder. A chunk of the Piston or roof of the Cylinder is what stuck the ring. Easier to see in person just what had happened. I'll certainly not use any more Lucas.
Bummer regardless of cause!!:oops:

Keith Gandy

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
@Keith Gandy

I checked the JD dye MSDS and it is Dow Chemical Automate Red IK HF. Some Googling led me to this info:

AUTOMATE RED IKHF is a single phase, liquid concentrated solvent soluble dye containing C.I. Solvent Red 164 and provided in a high flash, aromatic solvent system. The solvent is used in the product as a viscosity depressant and standardizing agent.
The product has been found to be completely miscible in all petroleum fuels, lubricating oils and many other related hydrocarbon solvents, including grease and hydraulic oils. Common applications include the coloration of lubricants such as Automatic Transmission fluids and 2 cycle oils. It has also found use in a variety of other applications including the coloration of fuels, solvents, polishes, fertilizers, explosives, adhesives and for leak detection. It can be mixed with other colors in the AUTOMATE product line to create a limitless number of shades.
Awesome!:)

Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Still using VP at 36:1 here. Other than the fact that it is hard to see in the fuel I love the stuff. Walmart really needs to start carrying it year round.
My Walmarts carry it year around right next to the Poulan saw.

I have some of the JD dye. It was way cheaper than the Cat branded dye.
I call bs ! Ain't nothing cheap with JD lol.

Moparmyway

Its just a saw
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Does that show up any color without UV light?
Didnt see that on my phone last night, good catch.
Probably not what anyone would want to put in their mix ...........
:facepalm:

Thank God I didnt order any, its still in my carriage.

Keith Gandy

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
He didn't say it was cheap. He said JD was cheaper than CAT. I'll believe that. CAT is probably the only company that is more proud of their stuff than JD is.
Thats no joke! We r replacing planetary gears in our D9 right now and its costing $122,000!!!