High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

What is your preference for a concealed carry weapon?

Magnumitis

Kevin in Arkansas
Local time
3:13 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Th biggest issue for them seems to occur in the .40 S&W and 10mm platforms w/their unsupported chambers. When you couple an unsupported chamber, with a high chamber pressure and buildup due to a lack of cleaning and bullets with an insufficient Brinell hardness for the given velocity/pressure spike and then shoot jacketed bullets after the fact which don't obturate the same way, things can go boom. I've witnessed it twice, once in a G22 and once in a G20.

I have no issue running hardcast bullets nor cleaning properly, I just wanted the A.M. barrel to eliminate the "Glock waist" courtesy of the unsupported chamber and thus eliminate the additional full-length resizing step w/the Redding GRX die so the brass would easily chamber in any of the 7x .40S&W chambered weapons between myself, Dad and 2 good friends.

I will be acquiring a 10mm A.M. barrel for a friend's GenIII G20 after I acquire the weapon as I thoroughly enjoy shooting it, but the unsupported chamber issue still remains. It's VERY accurate though and pretty soft shooting with standard loads. I haven't tried it with Underwood, CorBon, Garrett or other truly heavy loads yet though so we'll see.
Yeah, it's complicated.

Magnumitis

Kevin in Arkansas
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I use Hornady full size carbide along with the bell and seat/crimp on .40.

And only load 180gr jackets since I bought several thousand of them a few years ago. They're Remington pulls

Genius

First member of ASlite to receive a infraction
Local time
4:13 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
To my understanding there is no problem running lead bullets through a Glock barrel so long as you remove the fouling before running a plated/copper jacket bullet through it. I've done it, lots. Personally, if I was going to use the pistol for carry, it would be with the factory polygonal barrel which will likely yield higher velocities more accurately.

Yea, but that requires cleaning, which I ain't very good at.....

I've chrono'ed quite a few rounds from a stock barrel and my Storm Lake barrel. The velocities were not far off at all. After a few 10 round strings out of both of the, the SD was within 25-35fps

Locust Cutter

Air Force Redneck
Local time
User ID
Reaction score

Magnumitis

Kevin in Arkansas
Local time
User ID
Reaction score

I've chrono'ed quite a few rounds from a stock barrel and my Storm Lake barrel. The velocities were not far off at all. After a few 10 round strings out of both of the, the SD was within 25-35fps
Were you you using your good hand?

Jwalker1911

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score

Tried the Lone Wolf barrel in my G20 and truth be told I have better luck with the stocker. Your SD isn't bad,Ive seen factory ammo vary more than that.

Dennis L. Ward

Active OPE Member
Local time
2:13 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Got this as a Christmas gift. Good to have all the basics for a emergency situation.
Ie6yu

Czed

Aluminium Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Th biggest issue for them seems to occur in the .40 S&W and 10mm platforms w/their unsupported chambers. When you couple an unsupported chamber, with a high chamber pressure and buildup due to a lack of cleaning and bullets with an insufficient Brinell hardness for the given velocity/pressure spike and then shoot jacketed bullets after the fact which don't obturate the same way, things can go boom. I've witnessed it twice, once in a G22 and once in a G20.

I have no issue running hardcast bullets nor cleaning properly, I just wanted the A.M. barrel to eliminate the "Glock waist" courtesy of the unsupported chamber and thus eliminate the additional full-length resizing step w/the Redding GRX die so the brass would easily chamber in any of the 7x .40S&W chambered weapons between myself, Dad and 2 good friends.

I will be acquiring a 10mm A.M. barrel for a friend's GenIII G20 after I acquire the weapon as I thoroughly enjoy shooting it, but the unsupported chamber issue still remains. It's VERY accurate though and pretty soft shooting with standard loads. I haven't tried it with Underwood, CorBon, Garrett or other truly heavy loads yet though so we'll see.
The latest glocks appear to have tighter chambers I've looked at a couple of newer 20s and 22s the early one's bulged my factory brass badly.

Locust Cutter

Air Force Redneck
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I think that the generous chamber and lack of full support is the largest key to their reliability. Tight guns can run very well, but loose guns tend to run better in "adverse" (crappy) conditions.

LittleLebowski

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I think that the generous chamber and lack of full support is the largest key to their reliability. Tight guns can run very well, but loose guns tend to run better in "adverse" (crappy) conditions.

Lack of full length rails (leads to a looser feel) and good magazines. The number one failing of magazine fed weapons is magazines.

Locust Cutter

Air Force Redneck
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Magazines are a huge component. ARs live and die by them...

Genius

First member of ASlite to receive a infraction
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

I've got a Les Baer 1911, that thing is extreamly tight and it keeps on going bang. I've only ever had one malfunction with it, but that was with the chitty stock mags that came with it. Shortly after I got the thing I ran only that gun in a week long pistol course. No cleaning, only a few drops of oil each evening.

The only guns I've got any significant trigger time on is my G23, G19, 1911 and my Sig 239. All flawless runners.

With today's modern guns I think they've got them all dialed in right, they are for the most part all runners

LittleLebowski

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I've got a Les Baer 1911, that thing is extreamly tight and it keeps on going bang. I've only ever had one malfunction with it, but that was with the chitty stock mags that came with it. Shortly after I got the thing I ran only that gun in a week long pistol course. No cleaning, only a few drops of oil each evening.

The only guns I've got any significant trigger time on is my G23, G19, 1911 and my Sig 239. All flawless runners.

With today's modern guns I think they've got them all dialed in right, they are for the most part all runners

Proving my point about magazines :D

Most folks won't run a handgun hard enough to find problems with it. My late good friend (miss ya, bro!) ToddG of Pistol-Training conducted hard use tests with meticulously recorded data on the Springfield Warren 9mm 1911, HK P30, S&W 9mm M&P, Gen4 Glock 17, and HK45. He was a SIG and Beretta employees before that, he related that you would be shocked at how little testing firearms manufacturers do on new products.

There's actually a few documented problems with modern handguns:
    • Gen3 Glock 40s would malfunction with a WML attached (Weapon Mounted Light)
    • earlier Gen4 Glock 9mms would malfunction with range ammo (hotter loads work better)
    • Beretta 92s eat locking blocks
    • First generation (the second generation just got released) 9mm S&W M&Ps would often have beyond substandard accuracy past 15 yards