High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

What is your preference for a concealed carry weapon?

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
7:23 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have a 1988 Service Six, last year the Sixes were made. I love it and would not trade it for any revolver under the sun. Mine is stainless, .38 Special, and has a 4" tube. I never shoot .357's in handguns so the .38 chamber is a non-issue for me. On the topic of the stock grips: they actually work great if you use a Jerry Miculek style high grip, as I do. The GP-100 is a good revolver but really needs to go on a diet, very bulky and heavy for what it is.

The GP is overbuilt for anything other than hot .357's. I used to have one with a 4" tube and adjustable sights. Nice shooter but the Service Six suits my needs much better so I swapped it even for a 1976 Marlin 336 Texan, a very good decision!

srb08

Doesn't play well with others
Local time
6:23 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have a 1988 Service Six, last year the Sixes were made. I love it and would not trade it for any revolver under the sun. Mine is stainless, .38 Special, and has a 4" tube. I never shoot .357's in handguns so the .38 chamber is a non-issue for me. On the topic of the stock grips: they actually work great if you use a Jerry Miculek style high grip, as I do. The GP-100 is a good revolver but really needs to go on a diet, very bulky and heavy for what it is.

The GP is overbuilt for anything other than hot .357's. I used to have one with a 4" tube and adjustable sights. Nice shooter but the Service Six suits my needs much better so I swapped it even for a 1976 Marlin 336 Texan, a very good decision!

I'm waiting on one of the new 5" Gp100's in .44special, with a half lug barrel.
Should be a good nice gun, especially with the lighter barrel.

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hard to imagine a better .44 Special revolver than the GP. I really hope Ruger brings out more of the half lug barrel models, I could totally go for a .357 in stainless. It would make a dandy target gun with the extra weight and adjustable sights.

srb08

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hard to imagine a better .44 Special revolver than the GP. I really hope Ruger brings out more of the half lug barrel models, I could totally go for a .357 in stainless. It would make a dandy target gun with the extra weight and adjustable sights.
I think they have.
Lipseys is doing a limited run of the 5" .44 specials. I thought I saw the same gun in .357.

srb08

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My LGS finally got some of these.
5" GP100 in .44 special. Excellent balance, grips are iffy.
I hope to shoot it this weekend.
image.jpeg

Locust Cutter

Air Force Redneck
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
A set of Herret Ropers, or Jordan Troopers, sized to your hand would fix that problem! Fine looking weapon! Ought to be pretty accurate as long as the boring relationship between the cylinder, forcing cone and barrel is setup correctly.

srb08

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Very nice, SRB. Do you load the .44 Special?

Thanks.
Yes, I load for pretty much everything I shoot.
I took some time and shot the GP today.
I used two different loads. 7.5 gr of Unique and 8gr of Power Pistol with a 240gr SWC. Both shot excellent groups. The front sight on the gun is too short and even with the rear sight cranked all the way down, I wasn't able to get the point of impact less than 2" higher than the point of aim at 15 yds. Due to the sight issue, I didn't shoot further than 30 yds and at that distance my bullet impact was somewhere around 18" high.
A taller front sight is going to be a necessity.

Locust Cutter

Air Force Redneck
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
If I can save up the money, I may have Gary Reeder or His Son Kase, build me either a .44 Mag or .45 Colt Single action with an adjustable rear sight, 7" octagonal barrel and line bored cylinders. Kind of my rendition of the Keith number 5. That would be a piece truly worthy of passing on to further generations.

srb08

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If I can save up the money, I may have Gary Reeder or His Son Kase, build me either a .44 Mag or .45 Colt Single action with an adjustable rear sight, 7" octagonal barrel and line bored cylinders. Kind of my rendition of the Keith number 5. That would be a piece truly worthy of passing on to further generations.
Reeder turns out some nice guns. I have a hard time getting past the gold filled graffiti.
What you have planned sounds great. Octagonal barrels really look good on a single action.

SteveinUT

Have gun - will travel
Local time
5:23 AM
User ID
Reaction score
I'm primarily a Glock guy for carry/duty guns. I've been carrying them since the mid-90's and I've been through the Glock Armorer's course, so it's the one I trust for most of my daily carry (G19 Gen 2). In the summer, if it's tough to conceal the G19 I carry my Kahr CM9. One of these days I'll get a G43 and then I'll probably sell the Kahr. I have several Glock's, but I haven't fgotten a 42 or 43 yet.

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
For some ridiculous reason, they want to look at the gun.

Hmm, there might be a good reason for that. They could have determined that a run of them was slightly out of spec in some regard. They should give you a pre-paid shipping label.

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm primarily a Glock guy for carry/duty guns. I've been carrying them since the mid-90's and I've been through the Glock Armorer's course, so it's the one I trust for most of my daily carry (G19 Gen 2). In the summer, if it's tough to conceal the G19 I carry my Kahr CM9. One of these days I'll get a G43 and then I'll probably sell the Kahr. I have several Glock's, but I haven't fgotten a 42 or 43 yet.

Love my 42, very sweet pistol. It handles my homebrew 975 fps +P loads no problemo. As I type this, I am carrying my 26 in a Desantis Apache ankle holster. The 26 is another good one, I only wish they had slimmed it down a bit more.

srb08

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hmm, there might be a good reason for that. They could have determined that a run of them was slightly out of spec in some regard. They should give you a pre-paid shipping label.
That's what concerns me. The gun shoots great, other than the sight issue. Timing is good, I lightened the trigger to where I want it and it breaks like a glass rod. It doesn't lead at all and there's no thread choke.
I'm afraid they'll dick it up.

Locust Cutter

Air Force Redneck
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
While I have owned, and will own more (likely) I'm not a Glock guy, but I do appreciate their design and reliability. If I buy another (post selling my Gen IV G23) it will either be a G40 or 41, a 42 in .380, or a 30 or 36 in .45acp. the larger models would get an apex tactical trigger, though and either Trijicon, Heine straight-8 or Meprolite sights.