High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

What is your preference for a concealed carry weapon?

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
4:32 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Which model? I love my 77/357!

The new 9mm carbine that can use Glock mags. The fun store has them on order, priced at $479.00. I'm putting one in layaway jail as soon as they show up. On the topic of carbines, my favorite gun in my battery hands down is my Marlin 1894C .357. Made in 1981, it wears a Lyman 66 receiver sight and white bead front. I've never found a .38 or .357 it wouldn't shoot at least decently. Standard .357's feel like .22's with just enough muzzle jump to remind you that the 1894 is a serious tool. With my own lead bullets, I can shoot it cheaper than the cost of respectable .22 LR.

Locust Cutter

Air Force Redneck
Local time
3:32 PM
User ID
Reaction score
I will have a lever .357, .41 Mag, .44 Mag or .45 Colt one of these days, but I do love the tighter twist on the Ruger for heavier bullets. It's decently accurate and like you said, molding bullets and reloading is cheaper than shooting my .22's.

There's something about a quick handling lever carbine in a pistol caliber.

srb08

Doesn't play well with others
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I will have a lever .357, .41 Mag, .44 Mag or .45 Colt one of these days, but I do love the tighter twist on the Ruger for heavier bullets. It's decently accurate and like you said, molding bullets and reloading is cheaper than shooting my .22's.

There's something about a quick handling lever carbine in a pistol caliber.
I agree on short lever guns chambered for handgun cartridges. There's something about them that just feels right.

I'd like to find a Marlin in .41M, that the seller didn't think was made of Gold.
I don't need one but when it comes to acquiring guns (and some times saws), need isn't always a consideration. Want is generally reason enough.
The problem is often finding the right deal.

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I cast up a bunch of Lee 356-120-TC slugs last night in anticipation of getting one of the Ruger carbines soon. With the 16" barrel and a slower powder like HS-6 I think 1400-1500 fps should be doable.

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've never felt the need to carry a pistol. If I lived in a less rural place I might feel differently. I take a bolt action .22 mag rifle with me in the truck a lot.....but never a hand gun.

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The main reason I carry is because I want to. I've been shooting and hunting since before I could read, and collecting guns since I was in middle school. It feels perfectly natural and normal to always carry a pistol, and I do so safely and legally. If other people choose not to, that is perfectly fine with me. As I type this while sitting in my living room, I have a Kimber Micro .380 in my right front pocket. Probably wear my Glock 26 all weekend.

Flint Mitch

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have lived in or around Flint Michigan my whole life . That's why I chose to get my CPL. I have actually had to draw on a would be robber at the ATM. I have since moved a county over into farm country and don't feel the need all the time, but I feel it's always good to be prepared for the unexpected

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Locust Cutter

Air Force Redneck
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
In town, it's the P250. Around the house and farming/ranching either my Smith 629, Taurus 608, Ruger 77/357, Ruger 77 MKII .243, Bushmaster or 870 3.5" chamber 12ga. Plenty of coyotes, coons and armadillos. I tend to leave the opossums alone as they're pretty good at cleaning up the environment of bugs and little critters. Variety is the spice of life. Eventually I may a the Uberti 2nd model Dragoon .44 cap and ball to the rural carry list.

srb08

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've never felt the need to carry a pistol. If I lived in a less rural place I might feel differently. I take a bolt action .22 mag rifle with me in the truck a lot.....but never a hand gun.
I carry a pistol and often a Benelli M1 tactical or AR M4, because I live very rural. The meth cookers and thieves are abundant. A call to the sheriff might result in a visit or might not. We mostly deal with our own problems and peace through superior firepower is a way of life. On more than one occasion, I've confronted small groups of fellas looking for trouble. If I hadn't been well armed, the encounters might have ended badly.............for me.

Last edited:

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Where I live, we have poor cell service. If you can get through to 911, it would still take the sheriff 20-30 minutes to get here. Until they show up, the protection of myself and my family is entirely on me.

Toothchipper

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've had many more potential "run ins" with issues while seated in a vehicle. Usually, it's someone approaching at a rest area or those aggressive panhandlers in the Houston area. Thus I prefer inside or even outside the waist band at 3-4:00, depending on dress. Although I do have pocket carry options and do carry in that method occasionally.

My lineup for protection:

Kimber Ultra CDP
S&W&P 9c with Trijicon night sights
S&W Sheild in 9mm
S&W Body Guard w/Laser Tech
S&W 642
North American Arms PUG in .22mag

With all that listed, I really am a Ruger guy.:D

srb08

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've had many more potential "run ins" with issues while seated in a vehicle. Usually, it's someone approaching at a rest area or those aggressive panhandlers in the Houston area. Thus I prefer inside or even outside the waist band at 3-4:00, depending on dress. Although I do have pocket carry options and do carry in that method occasionally.

Kimber Ultra CDP
S&W Sheild in 9mm
S&W 642

I carry a S&W 638 in the console of my car and a Ruger security six in the console of my truck.
My wife carries a Kel-Tec .380 in her car and a Glock 19 in her truck.
It's not always practical to reach a holstered gun, while in a vehicle, especially in the winter.

Big_6

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I carry a S&W 638 in the console of my car and a Ruger security six in the console of my truck.
My wife carries a Kel-Tec .380 in her car and a Glock 19 in her truck.
It's not always practical to reach a holstered gun, while in a vehicle, especially in the winter.
How do you like the security six?
Got "one" I'm thinking about adding to the collection...

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Locust Cutter

Air Force Redneck
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
The stock grips on a Security Six suck, but wit aftermarket stocks, it's a fine revolver. The GP100 is an outgrowth of that design, if I understand correctly. The trigger may not be "Smith-smooth", but a good stoning can fix that and the design is bank-vault tough.

srb08

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
How do you like the security six?
Got "one" I'm thinking about adding to the collection...

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

The stock grips on a Security Six suck, but wit aftermarket stocks, it's a fine revolver. The GP100 is an outgrowth of that design, if I understand correctly. The trigger may not be "Smith-smooth", but a good stoning can fix that and the design is bank-vault tough.

I like the Six series revolvers. They're smaller and lighter than the Gp100 and easier to carry. If I were shooting a steady diet of full house .357's, I'd opt for the GP100 but wouldn't get rid of my Security six, to get one. The Six series guns compare to the K frame S&W guns, in size and feel.

I picked up a used Gp100 a while back that had been worked over. The hammer and trigger had been shimmed and the internals smoothed up. It has a good trigger but not the equal of a good S&W trigger.
As @Locust Cutter said, the stock grips on a Security Six leave a lot to be desired.
I put Ruger target grips on mine and they're more comfortable to shoot.

I wouldn't hesitate to pickup any good used six series gun I came across.

Flint Mitch

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Kimber Ultra CDP
S&W Sheild in 9mm
S&W 642

I love my series 1 Ultra CDP. Is yours early production or a Ultra CDP II?

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk