High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

what is wrong with my chain?

Gypo Logger

Super OPE Member
Local time
3:09 PM
User ID
Reaction score
I think that would copy a factory grind pretty well..
My own observations says a round file makes the cutters hollow ground while a grinder makes the cutters semi square.
A hollow ground filed chain does nothing for the side plate except making it hollow, but rather gets underneath the top plate and makes a sharp working corner.
When grinding it may be an idea to swing the grinder wheel on the shallowest angle possible and just deep enough to get under the top plate then finish off the side plate and gullet with a round file or a triangular file. We’re almost talking chisel ground square grinding/ filing here.
I just do the 90 second tickle with a 7/32 round file on a wood dull chain or my grinder on a rocked out one.

Gypo Logger

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Depends on how you profile the wheel and how deep you take it.

Philbert
I’d like to try a 1/4” wheel tilted right over with just the bottom of the wheel dressed to 0 degrees with no radius and dressed at 5 degrees. The side plate of a hollow ground chain does nothing.

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
5:09 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A hollow ground filed chain does nothing for the side plate except making it hollow, but rather gets underneath the top plate and makes a sharp working corner.

The side plate of a hollow ground chain does nothing.

Respectfully disagree.

The side plate cutting edge is the hardest working part of the cutter when crosscutting. It is the part that cuts through the wood fiber; the top plate merely gets between the cut fiber pieces and chips them out (*I don't want to trigger anyone, but it it is the REAL 'raker'*). The point / corner leads the cutting edges into place, the gullet helps carry chips away, and the depth gauge ("raker") controls the depth of cut.

Screen shot 2019-11-30 at 8.49.19 AM.png
Screen shot 2019-11-30 at 8.44.44 AM.png

If the side plate cuts with a curved edge ('hollow ground'), it still cuts (as does a curved sword!). The top plate is also hollow ground if shaped with a round file.

Differences with 'square' ground / filed chain also has to do the the chain angles, bevel angles of each cutting edge, the ability to shape each edge somewhat independently, etc.

Philbert

Gypo Logger

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Respectfully disagree.

The side plate cutting edge is the hardest working part of the cutter when crosscutting. It is the part that cuts through the wood fiber; the top plate merely gets between the cut fiber pieces and chips them out (*I don't want to trigger anyone, but it it is the REAL 'raker'*). The point / corner leads the cutting edges into place, the gullet helps carry chips away, and the depth gauge ("raker") controls the depth of cut.

View attachment 210321
View attachment 210320

If the side plate cuts with a curved edge ('hollow ground'), it still cuts (as does a curved sword!). The top plate is also hollow ground if shaped with a round file.

Differences with 'square' ground / filed chain also has to do the the chain angles, bevel angles of each cutting edge, the ability to shape each edge somewhat independently, etc.

Philbert
I need to be blunt about this! The side plate on round ground chain does not make any initial attack on the wood fibre. It may mulch the chips as they are redirected into the chip channel.
Square ground chain has a side plate that certainly severs wood, but not round ground.
So there!

Finnrpm

Super OPE Member
Local time
1:09 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So this then makes a lot sense......

Lately have been using grinder only for badly rocked chains, other chains have been hand filed.

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
5:09 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I need to be blunt about this! The side plate on round ground chain does not make any initial attack on the wood fibre.

Try polishing the side plate cutting edges blunt on a chain and cutting with it. Then get back to me on what they don't do.

Philbert