What have you been doing at work?

S Sidwell

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
12:18 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
They stopped us flushing, said you can't get all the metal from rubber lines. We used to flush with Freon with a/c machine with a inline filter adapter to remove partials and then install a filter in the system. Those were the days.

Steve, Samsung On5 using Tapatalk

JohnnyBlade

JUST GONNA SEND IT
GoldMember
Local time
11:18 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Can i ash u how u treat um:D on the 45 acres wer i do most of my cutting id say 15-20% wer ash inter mixed with white oak, pin oak, walnut, and maples for hard wood. Not counting soft wood. There is one big ash that looks healthy as can be. The only one....i wonder y? All the big ash wer i live 20 min south wer decimated.

S Sidwell

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
We've got the pine beatle, does wonders on pine tracts, kills from the top down.

JohnnyBlade

JUST GONNA SEND IT
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
We've got the pine beatle, does wonders on pine tracts, kills from the top down.

Makes sense. Im gonna have to look that up. Ive got a ton of pines that the tops are blowing off in the wind as well. Its an old tree farm and the pines r planted in rows tite together. Its fun when the dead ones in the middle have to be pulled out. Bet i got the pine bettle too with the ash borer:(

S Sidwell

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
They are a pain, ours are planted in rows also, fun when you have to drop a few, even worst when you loose three or four log truck loads from the little devils.

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
They stopped us flushing, said you can't get all the metal from rubber lines. We used to flush with Freon with a/c machine with a inline filter adapter to remove partials and then install a filter in the system. Those were the days.

I always replaced the rubber lines when doing a warranty job so I wouldn't have to do it again for free. If the car is out of warranty, old rubber lines are just one more thing to start leaking.

The best thing about working on my own car is I can do as good or half-assed a job as I see fit. HVAC work always falls into the first category!

J. Loe

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Can i ash u how u treat um:D on the 45 acres wer i do most of my cutting id say 15-20% wer ash inter mixed with white oak, pin oak, walnut, and maples for hard wood. Not counting soft wood. There is one big ash that looks healthy as can be. The only one....i wonder y? All the big ash wer i live 20 min south wer decimated.

If it’s only 15to20% of the woods I’d say to drop them.
I haven’t heard of anyone treating forest ashes.
The injections are expensive and only last for about 2 years and it’s total garbage work, days on you knees or bending. Sucks.

The money you’d spend injecting would eclipse any value of the trees pretty quick.

That nice ash you have is probably the dominant daddy and like the heavyweight champion is the hardest to beat.

He’ll get dead eventually. They have no way to adapt to the EAB invasion.
millions of years of separation from Asia and North America outdone in 15.

Ash hinge really well and the firewood is great.
KILL KILL!

J. Loe

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Makes sense. Im gonna have to look that up. Ive got a ton of pines that the tops are blowing off in the wind as well. Its an old tree farm and the pines r planted in rows tite together. Its fun when the dead ones in the middle have to be pulled out. Bet i got the pine bettle too with the ash borer:(

As far as I know, pine tops blow out pretty often.
There is a fungus that’ll do that to them even without the pine bark beetle.

Pines in lines are meant to be thinned out regularly in a regular pattern.

They need cultivation like any garden.
When they aren’t thinned the tree stock turns to pencils..
If you do thin them the trees will be straight and strong and fat.

Might want to talk with the county forester about those stands.

It’s a free consultation in Wisconsin.

Last edited:

JohnnyBlade

JUST GONNA SEND IT
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If it’s only 15to20% of the woods I’d say to drop them.
I haven’t heard of anyone treating forest ashes.
The injections are expensive and only last for about 2 years and it’s total garbage work, days on you knees or bending. Sucks.

The money you’d spend injecting would eclipse any value of the trees pretty quick.

That nice ash you have is probably the dominant daddy and like the heavyweight champion is the hardest to beat.

He’ll get dead eventually. They have no way to adapt to the EAB invasion.
millions of years of separation from Asia and North America outdone in 15.

Ash hinge really well and the firewood is great.
KILL KILL!
Yes i decided to remove them. Borer hit i think 3 yrs ago. Since then i been dropping them. Tons of fire wood. And ash wood wet to dry weight is relatively close so its very light weight! Oak is 3 times the weight. Funny thing is even now ill still see the shiny lil bassturd bettles walking through the woods. I wonder what else they wanna mess up?

JohnnyBlade

JUST GONNA SEND IT
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
As far as I know, pine tops blow out pretty often.
There is a fungus that’ll do that to me even without the pine bark beetle.

Pines in lines are meant to be thinned out regularly in a regular pattern.

They need cultivation like any garden.
When they aren’t thinned the tree stock turns to pencils..
If you do thin them the trees will be straight and strong and fat.

Might want to talk with the county forester about those stands.

It’s a free consultation in Wisconsin.
Man u nailed it. They r tight and like pencils. Have 2 stands one was thinned one was not. The thinned stand is every other chopped and looks good and thick. Needles and branches all the way down. The pencil stand only has needles and live branches on the top ten feet wer their all competing for light. Now my question....if i do thin them will they start growing live branches down low again and fill out? Or r they toast?

J. Loe

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Man u nailed it. They r tight and like pencils. Have 2 stands one was thinned one was not. The thinned stand is every other chopped and looks good and thick. Needles and branches all the way down. The pencil stand only has needles and live branches on the top ten feet wer their all competing for light. Now my question....if i do thin them will they start growing live branches down low again and fill out? Or r they toast?

Do you know who did the last thinning and when?
You might not be too far off schedule, tho it sounds like the un thinned stand might be pulp wood.
Hard to say.

I think people try and wait to thin until timber prices get high but I think they’re low now. Still something is more than nothing.

I don’t believe you’ll see low branches sprouting after the next thinning.

Really, a few hours with a forester might be helpful and make you some money if you decide to harvest.

JohnnyBlade

JUST GONNA SEND IT
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Do you know who did the last thinning and when?
You might not be too far off schedule, tho it sounds like the un thinned stand might be pulp wood.
Hard to say.

I think people try and wait to thin until timber prices get high but I think they’re low now. Still something is more than nothing.

I don’t believe you’ll see low branches sprouting after the next thinning.

Really, a few hours with a forester might be helpful and make you some money if you decide to harvest.
Its never been thinned, the pencil stand that is. Its prob 150-200 pine of some sort. Packed in maybe 1/4 acre. Prob 25 years old. 5-7" diameter. 30ish ft tall.
The other stand that has been thinned is good im not worried about that one.
And its not for timber prices its for a pain in my butt and to keep the land owner happy:D
And to do the rite thing conservation wise. :campeon:

Skeans1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
9:18 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Part owner in a logging operation as well as a tree farm, we mainly do CTL thinning of Doug fir around 20 to 30 years old.
37a95e38b47e50aee4b1d90115962aa5.jpg
7f1dc9dc0aa40674ce924a8e4d1b8747.jpg
e4dd5d923265a179f8cd05d91b53c145.jpg
39f796298ee1427e9948097c2efbc35b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

srb08

Doesn't play well with others
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Can't wait to see what kind of turd the 2.7 will be in a full size truck trying to haul a backhoe.

I just looked at the design and specs.
Sounds like an interesting engine. I'd worry about longevity, especially in a work truck.

S Sidwell

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
From what I gathered, truck is supposed to be all new design ground up and running with a 10spd auto. Having enough trouble with the 8spd, torque converters taking a crap, all day nightmare job on the mid size trucks, no too bad of a replacement job on the full size.