What do you weld with ?

merc_man

merc_man
Local time
4:30 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So got a question. I used one of those fancy angled magnets for holding the metal togeather and i couldnt get the welder to weld worth a crap. Sounded like i was making pop corn the way it was popping. Got it stuck togeathe removed magnet and welded perfect. Hmmmm put.mag back on and crap. Took off good.
Anyone know why it welded like crap with magnet? Never used one befor till now.

Sent from my SM-J320W8 using Tapatalk

Lee H

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
1:30 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So got a question. I used one of those fancy angled magnets for holding the metal togeather and i couldnt get the welder to weld worth a crap. Sounded like i was making pop corn the way it was popping. Got it stuck togeathe removed magnet and welded perfect. Hmmmm put.mag back on and crap. Took off good.

I'm thinking the ground doesn't like going through the magnet.

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
3:30 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Yes I do, the magnetism is making the molten metal move from its intended direction and makes the puddle go haywire and the polarity goes bunko too. Which is why I do not like magnetic jigs.

I'm thinking the ground doesn't like going through the magnet.

I have a magnet on my ground clamp, just need to keep it away from right where you are welding.

wcorey

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Did you sand the powdercoat off the magnet edges? Or is there a ton of slag and crap stuck all over it?

merc_man

merc_man
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Magnet was clean. Juat wioed all the crap off it before. Not much paint left on tje edges. It was well used befor i got it.
Did you sand the powdercoat off the magnet edges? Or is there a ton of slag and crap stuck all over it?

merc_man

merc_man
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So you like thise magnetic ground clamps.
I was looking at them a while ago and thought they might be handy. ( just not on a small peice. Especially if it pulls the puddle while welding)
Yes I do, the magnetism is making the molten metal move from its intended direction and makes the puddle go haywire and the polarity goes bunko too. Which is why I do not like magnetic jigs.

I have a magnet on my ground clamp, just need to keep it away from right where you are welding.

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So you like thise magnetic ground clamps.
I was looking at them a while ago and thought they might be handy. ( just not on a small peice. Especially if it pulls the puddle while welding)

Comes in handy once in a great while when it's hard to find a place to attach, this is on my portable welder, so I never knew what I was going to be working with. Otherwise I just use the clamp normally.

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
While nothing to do with magnets, there is such a thing called arc blow, usually from welding in the same direction numerous times and the arc tries to go ahead of the puddle. this can be cured by either welding in the other direction, or lowering the electrode tight to the puddle to lessen the effect.

RedGas

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score

Were you using DC? Sounds like arc blow.

dieselfitter

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
For nearly 30 years, I've been getting by with a Miller Sidekick, 90 amp/120v mig welder and a Lincoln 225 tombstone stick welder. They've served me well but I couldn't weld aluminum.
A few months ago, I finally upgraded to a ESAB 186i and sold off the tombstone. I sold off the Miller Sidekick this week and got a Millermatic 252. I think ESAB welders are good stuff and a great value. It is the same company as Tweco, Thermal Arc, Thermal Dynamics and Victor. I wish I had upgraded years ago.
Message_1531521903397~2.jpg Message_1539367105106.jpg

lehman live edge slab

Live Action
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Lincoln ac/dc buzz box and a 1980’s millermatic 200, the Miller just has a high and low plug with six positions in each range but is in my opinion one of the best wirefeed machines made. I like it better than the 250mp and 350p’s at work

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score

lehman live edge slab

Live Action
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
View attachment 186549 View attachment 186551 Just finished the restoration on this Miller Bluestar 2E. Welds really good. I repair and rebuild Miller, Hobart and Lincoln engine driven welders.
Very nice I like vintage stuff, only thing might be getting tough to find some of the older Onan parts. My uncle has a craftsman gas drive with an onan 16hp but if I remember you can’t get anything for the motor anymore