Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
2:21 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Does anyone know the 10 pin spoolgun diagram for a miller 250x, 2000 model? I sold two spoolguns, and had to get another. I don't know how to wire in the new one (generic). The gun has: Power (obvious) a red wire, two greens that seen to complete the trigger, and a black and white. (which should activate the feed, 24 v?) but where do they go into the machine? Thanks!

Latest time I called the Hobart help line it was great. The man on the other line was Merican!

Lee H

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
12:21 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I use the 023 for sheet metal. The helium raises the heat so you can lower the heat settings
on the welder. I use it with aluminum as the aluminum draws a lot of heat especially on
heavier stuff.

Tim N

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Lincoln 255 at home. Use a lincoln 655 at work

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
3:21 AM
User ID
Reaction score
I use the 023 for sheet metal. The helium raises the heat so you can lower the heat settings
on the welder. I use it with aluminum as the aluminum draws a lot of heat especially on
heavier stuff.
How big can I go on that machine with an aluminum spool gun?

I mean big as in metal thickness. Cast up to 1/4" would be nice but maybe not doable in such a small machine.

It has an ancient Hoover vac cord now ;) and will pop a 15 amp breaker at 3/4 throttle continuous bead. Goes about two inches :). Works great wide open on the 20 amp line up to 1/4" steel running 18psi to the gun. Welds look sweet.

longleaf

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Has anyone tried the Harbor Freight Vulcans? I sold my old wore out mig so I decided to try the Vulcan215. I have been really impressed with it. If it will last it is a nice welder for the price.

J & L Creations

Machine Design
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Has anyone tried the Harbor Freight Vulcans? I sold my old wore out mig so I decided to try the Vulcan215. I have been really impressed with it. If it will last it is a nice welder for the price.

I have looked at them they look very well built. Also there are You Tube videos testing them out.

Lee H

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
How big can I go on that machine with an aluminum spool gun?

I mean big as in metal thickness. Cast up to 1/4" would be nice but maybe not doable in such a small machine.

It has an ancient Hoover vac cord now ;) and will pop a 15 amp breaker at 3/4 throttle continuous bead. Goes about two inches :). Works great wide open on the 20 amp line up to 1/4" steel running 18psi to the gun. Welds look sweet.

How many amps doe's it put out.

merc_man

merc_man
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Does mig welding wire go bad. My welder seems to be pre burning the wire before it get to the metal.

I also am running a long extention cord but dont think that would be the problem. My other welder is a flux core and works good on it.

Sent from my SM-J320W8 using Tapatalk

Dustin4185

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Does mig welding wire go bad. My welder seems to be pre burning the wire before it get to the metal.

I also am running a long extention cord but dont think that would be the problem. My other welder is a flux core and works good on it.

I have had some solid steel wire rust bad. Not sure why it wasn’t coated, but it wasn’t. It caused some issues, but not burn back. Could be your gun consumables causing issues. I had a 25’ Tweco gun that had to be almost perfectly straight or it would hang and burn back. Finally rebuilt it (liners, tips, diffuser, etc) and she runs god now.

Dustin4185

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Millermatic 251
Dial Arc 250
251D
Legend

It’s been a while, but SA-250D.

If not those, then whatever pops hooked up & says try this.
Any chance of selling that SA 250?

merc_man

merc_man
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have had some solid steel wire rust bad. Not sure why it wasn’t coated, but it wasn’t. It caused some issues, but not burn back. Could be your gun consumables causing issues. I had a 25’ Tweco gun that had to be almost perfectly straight or it would hang and burn back. Finally rebuilt it (liners, tips, diffuser, etc) and she runs god now.
Forgot to mention. I havny used this welder in about 5 years. So wire is old. It worked good back then.
Think i should pick up some new wire and give that a try.

Lee H

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If the wire has any rust at all toss in the trash. You could have rust in the liner
causing the wire to bind. You could have a kink in the liner. Wire speed to slow.
Heat set to high for application. Take the wire out of the liner and blow the liner
out from both ends and see what comes out.

J & L Creations

Machine Design
Local time
User ID
Reaction score

The cord could be the problem. It could be causing voltage drop, not heavy enough gauge wire to handle the load. Also the two welders could be pulling way different amperages, so that’s really not a good test to go by. Try using the welder without the cord, plug it into the wall outlet, that will tell the story. If it runs good then the cord is the problem, if it still runs bad, I still would not fault the wire, it could very well be the cable the wire is feeding through.

Last edited:

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
My Mac mig machine came from dads body shop many moons ago. They gave up on it after fifteen years of service. It always had burn back. Required a fast feed at all times. I was amazed at how much junk was in the liner and it was worn out. I did the gun, full rebuild, and it still was not right. The machine was never right. Found some wiring wrong on the machine. After the rewire it is damn near as smooth as a new Miller.

Fact:
This machine went back twice in the first six months. They just kept feeding him some BS about diodes. I knew that was BS. Every time it came back the same, burn back.
Check out your wiring if the gun rebuild does not cure it.

old guy

Love me some Husqvarna
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
depends what yer definition of "old" is...
theres tons of shops that still pump out high quality stuff with their "old" airco/miller 300 amp machines...with no reason to upgrade...
I have an old Lincoln MK250 at work, like this one...
View attachment 23082
its by far the best stick welder (that runs off electricity) that I have used...its a DC generator based machine, same as Lincoln engine driven generator based machines...just runs off 480v 3 phase instead... the only thing i would replace it with, would be with the same exact machine...
Oh man!, I had totally forgotten about those, I ran those back in the late 60s at certified division of Butler in mpls, building those nice shiny tankers you see on the highway, did a lot of tig stainless with em.