High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

What do you think of this mill?

customcutter

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
8:09 PM
User ID
Reaction score
My wife and I just retired this year. Looking to buy 75-100 acres in Alabama and build a 40X60 shop. Then live in part of it while we build a 2-3000sq ft log home. I've been looking for a mill for a couple of months and there was a WM LT50 about 20 miles away. Cut was very, very wavy so I passed on his 24K price. Then I found a 1 year old loaded LT40 in Brunswick GA for 28K spent a week talking with the guy getting the loan set up. He backed out the day before I was supposed to go up and buy it.

So I really like the looks of this Cooks HD3238. Any comments or suggestions, I talked with them a couple of weeks ago, and they were at better than catalog price with $1500 worth of options thrown in.

I plan on adding the de-barker, seeing if I can get that thrown into what they offered last week.

Here's a link.

customcutter

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I went by Cooks Saw on Friday and spent a few hours. Unfortunately, they don't have any hydraulic saws available to demo right now. They said they wouldn't have one until the first week of Dec. Mean while, I found out that someone my In-Laws know has a Cooks AC-36, the big brother of the HD 3238. He has invited me over in a couple of days when he finishes planting rye/oats and he will cut a few logs for me. He also said that his brother bought a used AC-36 3 or 4 years ago and has cut maybe 500bf with it. So I'm hoping I can talk him into selling it at a good price.

Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
7:09 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
This thing looks sweet! How long of a log can that take. I probably missed that in the video since I was watching at work.

customcutter

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
This thing looks sweet! How long of a log can that take. I probably missed that in the video since I was watching at work.

It will cut a log 32" by 21' long, however I learned Friday that the clearance between the roller guides is only 24". I was told that usually by the time you square a 32" log, it will pass through the 24" rollers. Yes it's kind of a long video, but explains a lot of the features that make it a better mill. I really like the drag back feature. No leaning over the sides, to remove the cut lumber. (I have 3 herniated disc in my lower back). Also the lumber comes back to the operator, no leaving the controls to walk to the side of the mill, remove the lumber, then back to the controls. Robert said they could drag back a 12"X12" cant 21' long.

The AC-36 will cut a 36" by 21' log. I would guess the clearance on the guide rollers would be 28".

J & L Creations

Machine Design
Local time
7:09 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Congratulations on your retirement, I also retired in October of last year, aircraft maintenance and quality control. Seems that I have not had a moments rest since.