What do you like about your preferred saw/brand

Daserlon

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
3:16 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My dad was a logger for many years and as far as I can remember he had Husqvarna. When I was 20ish he gave me an almost new 281 that I had messed up the mix oil ratio in and smeared a piston. Ever since I've been Husky. I currently have my dads 288 and am working a deal to get my old 281 back. I sold it cuz I had 3 saws and figured I didnt need it. Then I was afflicted by CAD.

NYH1

Tactical Chainsaw Operator
Local time
5:16 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I used to run Stihl. Then I ran a Husky and really liked it. I liked how smooth it was and that the air filter stayed clean for ever. Overall it felt better to me. Come time to get new saws I bought Husky's.

I prefer Husky and even Jonsered but I'd get a Stihl and probably a Dolmar if their dealer support was better then Husky in my area. There's both good Husky and Stihl dealers around here. My buddy had a Dolmar PS5100 I think, it was a runner. Just no Dolmar dealers in my area.

NYH1.

fearofpavement

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Having owned, worked on and cut wood with many brands of chainsaws, I prefer Stihls for a number of reasons. I could do what I need to do with any brand of chainsaw but because I have a choice, Stihl is what I choose. That doesn't mean I couldn't walk out to my shop and lay hands on a McCulloch, Homelite, Poulan, Husqvarna, Craftsman, etc, etc.
Our OPE preferences are formed by a combination of experience, recommendations, hearsay, advertising and so forth. If we had a discussion of which pick up truck was best, I'm sure the preferences would be divided into a number of categories and everyone would have a reason for what they think is best. Again, I could do what I need to do with any truck but the ones I put my saws in most frequently say GMC on them.

Bigmac

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
2:16 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I live in stihl country, I have a dealer less than five minutes from home....and that’s if I drive slow! With and abundance of Stihls, that’s what I get deals on( have never bought a new saw) I love a deal!! I am open to all brands that get it done! I would love to run a 390xp and 395xp, but have never had a chance. I love my Big Macs, can’t have enough of them! I have a homelite 750 and 550, cool looking great sounding fun saws! But for what I have into my ms260 pro, 361, 460,461,660and 661 combined, I couldn’t even buy a new 661 for full retal! So I love that about my Stihls! And the bar mount thing is handy too! Lol

dustinwilt68

Wilt Built Work Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I own all the brands and as much as I like the Stihls, they just don't compare to the husky or Dolmars in most cases, especially if rebuilding a saw comes into play as Stihl parts are way over priced compared to Husky or Dolmar, they might run as good as my husky but cost 2x more to fix, 390 topend kit can be had for 140.00 oem 066 would be north of $300, I currently like the feel of the Dolmar/Makitas myself but the 2 series huskies will always be my favorites.

2000ssm6

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I think Mike covered most of mine. I prefer Stihl; inboard clutch, T27 screws, same bars, dealers on every corner. The only gripes I have about the 044/440, they should have came with a better oiler and MaxFlow.

AlfA01

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
12:16 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I like Dollies. But, then again I like Husky, and Stihl, and Echo, and Red Huskies, and so on. The Dolmars are my favorite though because of the power to weight ratio and the ergonomics. Just like the way the run and they are comfortable for me to use for extended periods. The only exception to that is my little Japanese Husky top handle. I love climbing and pruning with that little saw.

lehman live edge slab

Live Action
Local time
4:16 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I personally like stihl the best because in my experience they seem better built. If I was looking for sheer cutting speed my choice would be husky/jred. But an extra second or two makes no difference cutting firewood it just needs to run day in and day out and so far stihl seems to do that the best of what’s available up here. We have only stihl, husky/jred and Poulan for choices. There is a dolmar dealer 40 miles away but not sure how long he’ll be around.

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I love my Dolly 5105 but roll with Echo for pretty much everything else. I used to be a Toyota mechanic and came to really appreciate Japanese quality and design, 'specially when it's made in the USA. Echo quality is as good as anything out there, prices are quite reasonable, parts are easy to find. Please forgive the sacriledge but I don't really care about squeezing the last drop of horsepower out of an engine as long as it is super reliable and gets the job done. And, that is what Echo is all about!

ken morgan

Super OPE Member
Local time
6:16 PM
User ID
Reaction score
honestly I just like the online parts (OEM) availability of the Huskies... My bud has Stihls and the one I like the best strangely enough is his (MS180) and if I could get parts for the thing easily online I would by one just to play with as its weight and ease of use is top notch. Unfortunately getting OEM parts is an absolute must for me and like everything else stihl its hard to find a guaranteed source of parts online.

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Agree 100%. Most of the Stihl dealers are closed by the time I could get there after work. It's ridiculous to have a brand of machinery that requires me to use vacation time to go get OEM parts when I can order Echo parts online from thousands of places.

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
In that case it's totally understandable. I 'spose the closest thing to a regular dealer I have is McHenry Power Equipment in Illinois since that is where all my new Echo machines have come from.