What could cause this?

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
10:03 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Observation .If you look at the pic of the piston showing the pop up there is a divot next to the centering hole .Plus if you look at the cylinder it looks like the piston was dragging something with it .
If the pop up was cut by clamping the skirt that is not the way you do it .It should be over the grooves using shim stock so as not to screw up the piston .--or it just could have swallowed something it could not digest .

fearofpavement

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've had a piston with a piece broken out of the intake side looking very similar to the op pic. Was the skirt worn thin on that side? That was on an oem saw that had never been apart. Mine was very thin on the intake side. 1/2 the skirt thickness as original.

Hedgerow

ONE OF THE GREATEST.....LONG LEGGED MIDGETS
Local time
9:03 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That piston should have been replaced during the rebuild.

There is not a machine mark left on that skirt. You can barely see the faint remnants of machine marks near the ring lands. In my experience when the machine marks are warn off that far up on the skirt the bottom is 0.003-0.004" small which would pretty much triple the stock piston to cylinder clearance on 46mm bore.
The "death rattle"..
The only saws I've experienced this in were the older generation of stihls. With mucho hours on them.
Years of ingesting fines wore the intake off to the point you could detect a "rattle" when run.
Never had one go so far as to break off a piece though. Piston was replaced before that.

srcarr52

Shop rat, backyard slice cutter.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The "death rattle"..
The only saws I've experienced this in were the older generation of stihls. With mucho hours on them.
Years of ingesting fines wore the intake off to the point you could detect a "rattle" when run.
Never had one go so far as to break off a piece though. Piston was replaced before that.

It's a deadly combination of poor filtration and a shorter than normal piston height to bore ratio.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've only seen two grenade .First was a 10-10 McCulloch my brother in law tried to juice up to out run my dad and I .That was 35 years ago .The old Mac couldn't take 20 % Nitro Methane and av gas but it did pretty good for about 10 minutes .The second was a Stihl 038 Mag that had spent 20 years of hard service for a tree company .It's still alive in my shed ,new oem piston . I've got both pistons some place .

67L36Driver

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Worn down like this?
649dedd0ffde372a7c364a1782f8964a.jpg

J-red 510 or 520 IIRC.

trooney

Admitted Woodaholic
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Did you send it to get ported or buy it that way?

No, I only bought the cylinder and piston from him a LONG time ago. I just got around to putting it on a chassis. I think I cut 4 rounds with it. The rest of the time has been spent tuning in my garage. 1 had one bad carb on there until I got another to swap out. I knew it was a little worn but he shaved the base so when I went with a new meteor it hit. So, seeing as I cant machine a pop up, dont even know how, I went with the piston because I thought it might last a little while. My bad!! All my builds I put a new piston on it even if its wore a little, this one was different because of the pop up. Thats one to the learning experience memos. This happened when I didnt even have the saw started, was changing over the rope and handle when it bound up. No telling if it was cracked before, it might have been, didnt see it if it was.

67L36Driver

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I had a piston disintegrate in a little Pioneer P-21. Ever since that one, a pair of new rings is accompanied by a new piston if at all possible.[emoji106]

Bigmac

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
7:03 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
No, I only bought the cylinder and piston from him a LONG time ago. I just got around to putting it on a chassis. I think I cut 4 rounds with it. The rest of the time has been spent tuning in my garage. 1 had one bad carb on there until I got another to swap out. I knew it was a little worn but he shaved the base so when I went with a new meteor it hit. So, seeing as I cant machine a pop up, dont even know how, I went with the piston because I thought it might last a little while. My bad!! All my builds I put a new piston on it even if its wore a little, this one was different because of the pop up. Thats one to the learning experience memos. This happened when I didnt even have the saw started, was changing over the rope and handle when it bound up. No telling if it was cracked before, it might have been, didnt see it if it was.
Copy! Makes sense now! I am sure there are members on here the could machine your pop up