livemusic

Super OPE Member
Local time
11:35 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Does Echo own Shindaiwa? Or vice versa?

I saw a video where a guy said Makita bought Dolmar in 1991? Sheesh, that was 18 years ago! It made me curious... do they still sell saws under the Dolmar name? Why? Why wouldn't they bolster their own name -- Makita? Is it because the Dolmar name is entrenched outside the USA?

What other mergers have occurred? I wonder if any company ever totally axes a brand once they buy it? A lot of times, they keep the old brand as well as the acquiring brand and I suppose it's because, as I suggested about Dolmar, maybe it's just because the old brand name has marketing power? Products for the two brands (owned by the same company) are pretty much the same thing? Kind of like Chevrolet and GMC. Although... GMC has that new tailgate on its pickup trucks that I would really like to have and I am not aware of Chevrolet having it. I wonder if they will ever get it, it's a very cool tailgate, love it!

livemusic

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Dub11, thanks for that video! Two things jump out. First, that video wasn't made in a day, that took some doing! Second, it reminds me of how the world has changed over a century -- corporations rule. It is mind-boggling how big some of these conglomerates are. And that's not necessarily a good thing.

Wood Doctor

Edwin
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You have to wonder how many people know that Oregon is owned by Blount, Inc. I have never heard of a Blount chain, a Blount bar, or a Blount chain sharpener. Brand names are worth a fortune, so parent companies often never change them, nor do they require the subdidiary to give them up.

Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You have to wonder how many people know that Oregon is owned by Blount, Inc. I have never heard of a Blount chain, a Blount bar, or a Blount chain sharpener. Brand names are worth a fortune, so parent companies often never change them, nor do they require the subdidiary to give them up.

I'm pretty sure Blount makes excavator attachments too.

Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Dub11, thanks for that video! Two things jump out. First, that video wasn't made in a day, that took some doing! Second, it reminds me of how the world has changed over a century -- corporations rule. It is mind-boggling how big some of these conglomerates are. And that's not necessarily a good thing.

I found that video after watching AvE

pavel408

Super OPE Member
Local time
6:35 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Kioritz (brand name Echo) merged with Shindaiwa in 2008 and formed Yamabiko.

In Europe (or at least some of its countries) Dolmar (red color) is quite well known chainsaw manufacturer, whereas Makita (teal color) is known for quality electric tools like driller or circular saw. I guess that keeping the brand Dolmar brings more money than unifying the product line, or maybe (just a wild guess :)) it was a deal condition...?

Last edited:

DND 9000

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
6:35 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Viking Austria is now (since January 2019) completly integrated into Stihl. Everything that was Viking in the past is now sold under the brand Stihl.

~WBF

Thecallofthewildanswered1989-2017[PAID IN FULL!]
Local time
5:35 AM
User ID
Reaction score
I wonder if any company ever totally axes a brand once they buy it? A lot of times, they keep the old brand as well as the acquiring brand and I suppose it's because, as I suggested about Dolmar, maybe it's just because the old brand name has marketing power? Products for the two brands (owned by the same company) are pretty much the same thing?
Sure there is marketing power when it's an established brand.
There is a lot of loopholes in general with construction companies and logging companies. You can sell services and parts back and forth. Money you spend/ lose is money you don't give to the tax man.
Possibilities are endless. Look in terms of construction. You want to build a patio and a beer & wine store off the side of the Pub and show 0 profit. It's either that or you give a chunk to the taxman? That's a no brain'r. Increase your business/ property value. Now your other company comes in and does the work on contract and shows a million los on supply and labor.

Meanwhile you just saved $300,000 on taxes in one company and it's all sitting in 'business appreciation' in another company.

Something like that. I Fell Timber for a lot of 'small potatoe' companies that were good at that game. Usually a big family of brothers.
The major forestry and Gas & Oil a licensee's are just masters of that game.

The bigger they are the better the loopholes.

So the saw manufacturers have what the call " Averaging, Trading, & Banking" .
It all about carbon/ green have gasses.
So they use carbon credit system but only amongst themselves is the rules.
So you can see it's a huge advantage to have many companies.
I believe Husqvarna is 1 of 10. I believe Stihl stands alone. ( ^^^^ update apparently has Viking now)

It breaks down into family classes of hand held equipment based on displacement. I think the class 5 may be non hand held.

Example: If the saw sticker reads "meets EPA regulations then you came tally your data ( "Averaging") from all your family classes. Maybe they introduced a few models that year and they couldn't ballance the books. Now they pay the remainder out of their Carbon Credit bank formed from the years they were under . ( "Banking")
If they didn't have nothing in credit then the have to buy reach out to other saw manufacturers and buy the needed amount. ("Trading")

They run their data also and send it in.

Whereas the little guy has to go through the process with one family class then you would have to prepay a fee for each unit and wouldn't qualify for any of said advantages.

Wood Doctor

Edwin
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Kioritz (brand name Echo) merged with Shindaiwa in 2008 and formed Yamabiko.

In Europe (or at least some of its countries) Dolmar (red color) is quite well known chainsaw manufacturer, whereas Makita (teal color) is known for quality electric tools like driller or circular saw. I guess that keeping the brand Dolmar brings more money than unifying the product line, or maybe (just a wild guess :)) it was a deal condition...?
Note that John Deere used to sell chain saws with their name on them. Many of those saws were made mostly of Echo parts. When Deere acquired Stihl, they stopped selling the Deere brand name altogether.

Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Note that John Deere used to sell chain saws with their name on them. Many of those saws were made mostly of Echo parts. When Deere acquired Stihl, they stopped selling the Deere brand name altogether.

Deer also had Efco build them saw in green livery before they made the switch to Stihl. I heard they are good saws but Ive read where Efco support for dealers on warranty work was lacking at best.