What bar oil is best and stuff?

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
2:55 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Bar oil got really expensive a few years ago. It’s actually reasonable to buy new now. But if you have stock of other good oils I’ll run what’s available. Not French fry oil or crap dirty oil

Steve

Excellence!
GoldMember
Local time
1:55 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Bar oil got really expensive a few years ago. It’s actually reasonable to buy new now. But if you have stock of other good oils I’ll run what’s available. Not French fry oil or crap dirty oil

I here ya. I may use 3 gallons a year. Not a full time logger or anything.

sundance

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I use maybe 2 gallons a year. It's just not a big enough expense to not use a quality oil intended for B&C service. Maybe if I was using gallons a week.....but then the wood (and the life of my saws) would be generating income rather than a handful of cords of firewood.

Cracker Boy

Fl cracker
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Loggers pride is a great bar oil with lots of tackifier in it. I like amsoil bar and chain oul personaly bouy the same price as stihl synthetic blend but better.

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
8:55 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Spend 1000 dollars on a saw then put used engine oil in it? I'm gonna stick with 5 dollar a gallon B/C oil.
I haven't used old engine oil, or any used oil for that matter, in over two decades.

It's how You are being taught things and You do it that way till You come up with Your own way.
I was a teenager, I just wanted to run my dad's saws - I didn't care about bar oil at the time.

Last edited:

3browns

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
10:55 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Figured I would resurrect this thread rather than start a new one

Anyone tried this bar oil?

It is super affordable and will be easy to get here but I have never seen it mentioned before

upload_2020-1-8_7-20-15.png

USMC615

Fapper Fi
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Figured I would resurrect this thread rather than start a new one

Anyone tried this bar oil?

It is super affordable and will be easy to get here but I have never seen it mentioned before

View attachment 217540
Prob as good as most others...local to you in HI or AL? How much a gallon?

3browns

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Prob as good as most others...local to you in HI or AL? How much a gallon?

$10 shipped on Amazon Prime

I paid $7 for a QUART of NAPA bar oil in November and it's thin as hell and about the only other option here (Molokai, Hawaii) is ACE Hardware brand at the same $7 a qt

USMC615

Fapper Fi
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
$10 shipped on Amazon Prime

I paid $7 for a QUART of NAPA bar oil in November and it's thin as hell and about the only other option here (Molokai, Hawaii) is ACE Hardware brand at the same $7 a qt
I’d give it a try...hell with $7/qt stuff. If it’s got any thickness to it and oils well, I’d be ordering four/five more. Not a bad price shipped to HI that’s for sure.

3browns

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’d give it a try...hell with $7/qt stuff. If it’s got any thickness to it and oils well, I’d be ordering four/five more. Not a bad price shipped to HI that’s for sure.

Yeah, not a whole lot to lose by trying

If it's crap I am sure I can give it away

Wish I could get Itasca shipped here at a decent price but after looking around that's not going to happen

Oh well, the price of living in "paradise"...

USMC615

Fapper Fi
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yeah, not a whole lot to lose by trying

If it's crap I am sure I can give it away

Wish I could get Itasca shipped here at a decent price but after looking around that's not going to happen

Oh well, the price of living in "paradise"...
I've used Echo Premium bar and chain oil for many years now, nothing else. Gallons are always in stock at a local HD about a mile from my house, 10% off...ends up $10/gal, little less if on sale, out the door...I can't argue with that.

3browns

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've used Echo Premium bar and chain oil for many years now, nothing else. Gallons are always in stock at a local HD about a mile from my house, 10% off...ends up $10/gal, little less if on sale, out the door...I can't argue with that.

The next time we go shopping for home stuff on Maui I will pick up a couple of gallons at HD and box them up for the flight back

Thanks

USMC615

Fapper Fi
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The next time we go shopping for home stuff on Maui I will pick up a couple of gallons at HD and box them up for the flight back

Thanks
They carry Makita bar and chain oil at my HD as well, usually runs $14/15 a gal. Have never had any issues with running the Echo Premium though...might be different in constant, day in/day out freezing temps, but certainly don't deal with conditions like that here.

00wyk

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
7:55 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Been using straight rapeseed/canola oil for nearly 8 years now or so. I work mostly in temperate climates where it rarely gets above 80*, tho. I would expect you might start to miss tackifiers once the temperatures climb higher.
Most folks bring up oxidizing issues. Straight Rapeseed doesn't seem to oxidize as much as other bio oils. It seems the glucose and the oil will gum a bit in cold climates if let to sit long enough. But I had to let a chainsaw bar sit for years(nearly 3) to get this effect where the tip became tough to pull over. It became loose the moment I swiped it across a log with a chain in it. The same saw had rapeseed oil in it's tank for the same amount of time. Once started, it flowed as well as it did when the oil was fresh. I suspect had there not been fines in the tip of the saw that it would not have gummed up so much. I have several chainsaws that can sit for a few months at a time that haven't shown any issues as far as oxidization. It shouldn't be too surprising - rapeseed oil naturally has antioxidants in it.
The bars and chains seem to last just as long. I do mostly hardwood firewood and a bit of felling. The peening and burrs don't seem to be much different from the typical bar oils I have used in the past.
To date, I have saved hundreds. Typical bar oil here is 3-5€/litre. Rapeseed oil in bulk is as cheap as .85/litre, and is the most common oil used in chippers and restaurants here. There is no tax, sales or otherwise, in Ireland on vegetable oils. VAT on mineral oils for lubrication is 23%. I haven't checked if it's got an excise tax on it as well, but I would be stunned if it didn't.
Since I mostly do my work on a private estate, nearly all of which is certified organic, the rapeseed has the added benefit of not contaminating the soil or the water for any real length of time. Our soils are tested at least once a year by the state for the certification. Rapeseed is supposed to be able to boidegrade in as little as 3 months.
I have also tried cold pressed vs standard processed. Cold pressed is around on the estate because it is used as a supplement and treatment on occasion for some of the livestock. It works fine in a chainsaw, but is an expensive version only used in a pinch - so not much usage. In bulk it is closer to 2.50€/litre.

https://www.fs.fed.us/eng/pubs/html/98511316/98511316.html

No oil stains here, and nothing potentially toxic to run off in to the lake:

159340544.wmNLxKxI.044oaked.jpg

That vid is 5 years old. I still have this bar as a back up. Not as purdy as it used to be, but it works fine.

169183565.v6xHvJnD.Stihl_lam_25_inch.jpg

Last edited:

3browns

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Tractor Supply has bar oil on sale right now. $7 a gallon.
Has nice tachiness...

That TS oil has been thought highly of in every bar oil thread on every forum for years

Sadly for me it’s not an option

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Crap. Sorry. Just putting it out there for members.