Local time
9:07 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
@Jon1212 we need your knowledge please.

G

Greenerpastures

According to the Oregon website, the 450, 500, and 501 series all use the D176 mount. As far as I know, these saws can use either .050 or .058 gauge with the OEM sprocket.

https://www.oregonproducts.com/en/search/modeltype-cbs?text=echo__CS-501
Hi FergusonT035
I checked out your link, and don't see any .058 bars with .325 pitch, though I do think the tail
will fit the saw.
I measure the second ramp on the back of my echo bar where the usual measurements are taken,
and it is really small, only 29mm, as opposed to all my other bars being 37 odd, the drive rim is
also small and unless changed I could not ever use the larger bars with the 37mm tails, and I do
not wish to change the rim as this will also lower power at the chain, and stress the saw.

Will call to another saw shop today and see what can be found.

Thanks for commenting & Regards, john

G

Greenerpastures

So, you want to stick with .058?
Hi FergusonTO35

They rang me back, said it could be got, I asked how much, they said they did not know,
I said its going to be difficult to ask you to order a bar when I have no idea how much it costs,
shop said, we were going to swap it for you, take your 18" in, and exchange it for the 16".

This got me thinking, as no matter where I look for a bar for the CS 501, references
turn up a bar with a bigger tail, which is available more easily, I think the bar that came on
my saw is not the one Echo sent out, the drive rim is very small, and this is what is limiting
me finding a suitable bar from other manufacturers, as most bars that are recommended for this
501 will not work with such a small drive, because the chain would run straight into the back end of the bar
instead of going down the rail in the bar.

I will get there, just frustrating to think that may be the wrong bar and drive rim came on the saw, as a smaller drive rim
will slow down the chain from what the specs say.l

If I have to get a non genuine bar, I don't mind going to 3/8 as I have no 16 inch chains anyway and will have to buy them.
Only worry is would the saw drive with their usually wider cut and larger bite.

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
10:07 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hmm, at this point I think I would contact Echo directly. Your saw may have had incorrect parts installed. Do
you have the parts list for it? Part numbers for the various bars and chains that fit should be there, also your owners manual.

The only thing I don't like about 45-60cc Echoes is the lack of a 3/8" pitch option, either OEM or aftermarket.

G

Greenerpastures

Hmm, at this point I think I would contact Echo directly. Your saw may have had incorrect parts installed. Do
you have the parts list for it? Part numbers for the various bars and chains that fit should be there, also your owners manual.

The only thing I don't like about 45-60cc Echoes is the lack of a 3/8" pitch option, either OEM or aftermarket.
Hi FergusonTO35
No parts manual yet anyway, I only have the saw a few days.
The small drive sprocket and the small bar match up as they should, and these saws are advertised with a .325 chain, I think am getting mixed up because there is also a smaller than standard 7 tooth rim drive, though am not sure it would still run a .325 chain,
am more curious as to why the shop want to swap me instead of getting me a price which was what I asked for.
I can actually get 3/8 chains and bars, but am beginning to re think why I would want one, as I have .325 chains, and would be
better off finding a 15" bar, that way I would have redundancy.
The fact the shop said no 15" bar is available is what gets me most, for I do not want to have to keep 15 and 16 chains.
I did not realize 3/8 was not so easy to get for Echo.
In any event, am going to stick with .325, that will keep two of my saws the same.
Will wait until I find a 6100 Makita or similar saw that will take a 3/8 comfortably, rim sprocket and chains
will then swap to my 7900 for redundancy also, and bars as I only ever need 18" where I am.

OBX Koastie

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
10:07 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have an Echo CS-500P and the two saws are identical when it comes to bars and chains. In the parts manual, available online at https://www.echo-usa.com/getattachment/142029a4-68d1-46bb-8d83-51a1f92c2dca/CS-501P_C68515_062917_es the 18" bar is listed as .325 and the chain has 72 drive links, which is pretty much standard for this Oregon bar, (Oregon makes all Echo bars as far as I know.) . As far as mounts, mine takes a 216 mount which are readily available in the standard .325 chain as a Versacut bar. However, if you want far better performance from your saw see if you can find the narrow kerf bars that are probably still available at Baileys. You have to use narrow kerf chain with that bar however. Oregon makes a great narrow kerf chain. It is 95TXL72 for an 18" bar. That is also available at Baileys or on flea bay.