Ryan Browne

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
3:37 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I got to run my Shindaiwa 488 and Dolmar 421 for about a tank each yesterday. Well, I'm exaggerating a little. That danged Dolmar just wouldn't run out of gas!

I'm adding a new small section of woods on vacuum tubing for my maple syrup operation. Before I set up the tubing I'm clearing a lot of the little stuff, and selecting for more desirable species. Lots of sugar maple, red maple, bitternut hickory, and ash, with some poplar mixed in. It's all about the same age, so the poplar is about 14" diameter, the ash around 10", the red maple 5-8", and the sugar maple 1-6", with some larger tappable ones mixed in. Hopefully with less competition, I'll have some nice maples in a few years.

Nice to be in the woods this time of year. Much easier to see what you're doing with no leaves. No skeeters either. Still a little hot and sweaty though. Odd for November...

foragefarmer

70cc groupie
Local time
4:37 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I wish I had a 488. Those are great saws. Nice to get out and do some timber stand improvement, releasing those trees ought to get them to jump.

Ryan Browne

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
3:37 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ran the 421 a bunch today. Like more than a full tank of fuel :eek:. I'm doing a bunch of thinning along the north edge of my woods. A tank full lasts a LONG time when you're mostly cutting stuff under 6". I also used my 036 when I needed a bigger bar. The Dolmar has a 12" on it right now. I tell you, that 036 with a 16" felt heavy after using that Dolmar most of the morning.

Anyway, here's a picture of it perched on top of my new log wagon. I also picked up the orange logrite 30" pickaroon recently. I previously owned a pickaroon, but this thing is a cut above. Worth the money!rps20161115_165337_790.jpg

Simondo

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
8:37 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Ran the 421 a bunch today. Like more than a full tank of fuel :eek:. I'm doing a bunch of thinning along the north edge of my woods. A tank full lasts a LONG time when you're mostly cutting stuff under 6". I also used my 036 when I needed a bigger bar. The Dolmar has a 12" on it right now. I tell you, that 036 with a 16" felt heavy after using that Dolmar most of the morning.

Anyway, here's a picture of it perched on top of my new log wagon. I also picked up the orange logrite 30" pickaroon recently. I previously owned a pickaroon, but this thing is a cut above. Worth the money!View attachment 40952
Exactly the thing I like a small saw for Ryan.....I walk the field hedges with mine.