High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

What are the top 5 things you check when a saw doesn't start?

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
10:52 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
1) Check compression by slowly pulling the cord.

2) Replace Fuel Filter

3) Replace/Check Air Filter

4) Replace Plug

5) Try another Carb

6) Try another Coil

7) Replace Fuel Line

8) Make sure the Flywheel Key did not shear, and that the flywheel magnets work.

9) Vac/Pressure Test for air leaks (including intake boot and impulse line).

Sorry, but you just can't always do it in 5!!!

redtractor

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
All the 2 stroke that comes through the door in this "Harry Homeowner " Hell gets the fuel dumped out for 2 reasons. Using my mix eliminates an unknown. And 2. Half the time the fuel filter tumbles out.

Last edited:

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Saw a husky 257 gain 500rpms from a new fuel filter before. Old one was brown as sawdust

Last edited:

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I own an MS440 cause someone tuned it up and set the Hi out 1/4 turn (the recommended low setting, but the detail is under the Hi screw!). Replaced the piston and cleaned the cylinder with Randy's method.

Stihlsmoking

City Hillbilly
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
1. New to me saw pull muffler check piston (saves time if ok move on )
2. Check fuel, empty fill with known good mix (check line & filter)
3. Check for spark.
4. Check air filter (clean and or replace)
5. Check carb for dirt (clogged or full of fines)
6. If Husqvarna sell on forum to someone else.

Keith Gandy

Maxima K2 40:1 87 Pump Gas
Local time
9:52 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Keith, I always check compression first with a slow pull on the recoil. If it does not have compression, no use doing the rest of it.
Thats a given to see if its locked up. Then usually I take the muffler off to check piston and cylinder and ask if the customer wants to rebuild if its bad. No sense in doin anything if they arent gonna put the $$$ in. Sometimes I pop the muffler off while they r there to show them the condition

Last edited:

trooney

Admitted Woodaholic
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
1. Pull muffler to inspect piston and cylinder, check muffler screen.
2. Replace plug and see if its got spark, color of spark. shoot some fuel down plug hole, put plug back in to see if it will fire.
3 Inspect fuel line, pressure test fuel line.
4. Check fuel and air filters.
5. P&v test saw.

These are probably the things I do besides checking the obvious (flooded, shut off switch on, does it have gas, pouring it out and putting fresh mix in, etc). But if any one of the above is suspect I might skip the other steps til I fix that. Keep in mind that the average person does not know how to pressure test a saw, I know I didnt when I first started.

Armbru84

Just trying to get by
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
1. Verify master control lever is in run position
2. Verify there is adequate fuel in the saw
3. Verify spark
4. Verify compression
5. Pull muffler and carb and look everything over

Chainsaw Addict

GO HOOSIERS
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
All the 2 stroke that comes through the door in this "Harry Homeowner " Hell gets the fuel dumped out for 2 reasons. Using my mix eliminates an unknown. And 2. Half the time the fuel filter tumbles out.
Yes indeed. Worked on friend's Craftsman / Poulan 3800. I've never had such bad "gas" Smelled and thick as varnish. Challenge just cleaning out tank.

Sent from my SM-T377P using Tapatalk

Wood Doctor

Edwin
Local time
9:52 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hmmm.... I may have generated this thread with an earlier post on another thread, but regardless, here are my top 5:

1) Check for a spark. Quick an easy with a jumper wire. Without a spark, the engine is dead meat. If no spark, check two or three other plugs and check the wires for continuity and the on/off switch. Electrical failure causes more problems than just about anything else.

2) Check for compression. If compression is low, no carburetor adjustment will allow the engine to run, even if it has a good spark.

3) Check for a fuel issue, starting with the fuel filter, and work your way back to the carburetor. The fuel line(s) have to be intact. The carb has to operate, and it cannot if the impulse hose is not connected, split, broken, etc.

4) Go back and read Mustang Mike's #21 post in this thread.

5) Read step 4 above. Yep, this is a cop out, but I hate to be redundant. Oh, and make sure you can turn over the engine with the pull cord. I just got a saw in with the chain brake jammed and "glued" to the muffler after the saw was dropped 50 feet by a climber and crushed by a portion of the tree.

Cobby08

I’m a face down ass up guy
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yes indeed. Worked on friend's Craftsman / Poulan 3800. I've never had such bad "gas" Smelled and thick as varnish. Challenge just cleaning out tank.

Sent from my SM-T377P using Tapatalk
I'm not here to challenge you but... I don't think you understand how bad the 028 was with @hsell @Canadian farm boy in that poor Jeep...

Canadian farm boy

“Normal” people scare me.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm not here to challenge you but... I don't think you understand how bad the 028 was with @hsell @Canadian farm boy in that poor Jeep...
That was definitely to worst smelling saw I've ever been around. We had that sucker triple bagged and it still smelled rank. I even gave heef a couple new air fresheners to hang in the Jeep for his last half the drive.