High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

What a spark can do!

eric227

Active OPE Member
Local time
3:42 PM
User ID
Reaction score
I am new here and really like this site. I am still looking through it all. I thought I will add some of my happenings. This was a morning like no other! The day before this late Oct. day was cold and rainy. I remember paving a road that day and ran till dark came home stoked the stove. Up at 4:30 the next day came into the kitchen and seen nothing but ten foot flames. I had 30 face cord that was up in flames. What a mess! Figure a spark started it. Some of my wood was not the best. Guys said it was raining but you move two blocks the wood is dry. We did end up saving about 8 cord. 1,500 dollars worth of damage to the stove and just some weather stripping melted on the shed. To add to it all the water and ruts from pushing it around for the firemen. The stove is a Heatmor witch I love but a did have the wood to close and stacked higher then the stove. I did it 8 years before just like it. This year just not so lucky. The smoke stack was short I now added 8' on it. The neighbor said "great now you will burn my wood pile up" ( he live a 1/4 mile away). A little joke we go back on. He has a central boiler and we are always saying how better our stove is on wood then the other. As we where cleaning up the mess he said I lost bet that year mine burnt more. EricDSCF2470.JPG DSCF2465.JPG DSCF2466.JPG DSCF2467.JPG

Marshy

WFO Cutting
Local time
4:42 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Wow, that's an interesting story. Sorry to hear about the loss but thankfully it was minor. WELCOME to the site.

PS. Pre burning your wood never works well. :biggrin:

J_M____

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Don’t you want to put a spark screen cap on the pipe so it doesn’t happen again? Or would it soot up too quick?

eric227

Active OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Don’t you want to put a spark screen cap on the pipe so it doesn’t happen again? Or would it soot up too quick?
That is one thing we talked about but think it would get plugged. If you have dry wood in there and a new blanket of snow you can see lots of black soot on the ground.

eric227

Active OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Wow, that's an interesting story. Sorry to hear about the loss but thankfully it was minor. WELCOME to the site.

PS. Pre burning your wood never works well. :biggrin:

As you can see we did burn half burnt wood. That was a mess I had old gloves I left in the shed. when I had it all burnt up they made it in the stove to. Just from the crap on the ground you had to be so careful till it snowed. You can drag it in the house with your boots. Eric

Wolverine

dilligaf
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Wow, I'd say you got pretty lucky Eric!
Welcome to the site.