Well used 372 - wanna rebuild questions

Scott chandler

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
7:19 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I bought a used 372 looks rough but starts great and runs but doesn’t have the power of other 372’s i have. It’s missing brake handle and plastic is rough. I want to replace p/c but would like to ask what you would replace brand wise. Assuming the bearings and seals are good is there anything else you would replace. As cheap as mufflers are maybe muffler too. Muffler is dented and rusty. I will replace brake and probably some of the plastic and give it a good cleaning. Any suggestions welcome including where to get parts from. Thanks

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    289.1 KB · Views: 60
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    277.7 KB · Views: 59

Gary Courtney

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
6:19 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I bought a used 372 looks rough but starts great and runs but doesn’t have the power of other 372’s i have. It’s missing brake handle and plastic is rough. I want to replace p/c but would like to ask what you would replace brand wise. Assuming the bearings and seals are good is there anything else you would replace. As cheap as mufflers are maybe muffler too. Muffler is dented and rusty. I will replace brake and probably some of the plastic and give it a good cleaning. Any suggestions welcome including where to get parts from. Thanks
I would use oem p/c . I know meteor makes a good one but there is just something about oem I prefer. I would replace bearings and seals also oem. Muffler a/m is ok but I would bet some members could help you out@ bplust

Czed

Aluminium Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
if your cylinder is oem just clean it up
and get a meteor
I've used 40-50 meteors all have been excellent.
the am mufflers have held up great i have 12-15 of them.
replace the fuel and impulse line.
do a carb kit and check the intake boot
i usually replace the boot in older saws.
get a gasket kit with seals.

Last edited:

cuinrearview

Unskilled Hammer Donkey
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
OEM. The price is quite reasonable at your dealer. Honestly though if it's still running well and the cylinder looks good you probably only need a piston or maybe even just a ring. In that case I would buy Meteor/Caber

Czed

Aluminium Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
@Spike60
how much is a oem 372 piston?
around 100.00 was what i found shopping around.

Spike60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
@Spike60
how much is a oem 372 piston?
around 100.00 was what i found shopping around.

Yup, that's about what they are. The piston prices never came down with the cylinder kits a couple years ago. In some cases, the complete kit only costs $25 more that just the piston. Talk about a no brainer.

Scott chandler

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Haven't looked at cylinder or pulled muffler off yet . Just got it today but i will take a peak. I don't have a clue how old saw is but it has been used a lot looks like so y'all think i can run a hone a little in cylinder and it'll be good ? What size is cylinder 50mm and anybody upgrade ? To a little larger piston cylinder ? Just asking may be bad idea as old as saw is. I appreciate the comments keep them coming

Scott chandler

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I also been meaning to post about a 394 cylinder i have. I converted a 394 to a 395 couple years ago and the 394 cleaned up really good but i had already bought the stuff to convert so put the word out there if someone needs a good 394 cylinder Oem. I will send to them for inspection before pricing and don't have a clue what it's worth but i know i wished i could have found one when i needed

Czed

Aluminium Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Haven't looked at cylinder or pulled muffler off yet . Just got it today but i will take a peak. I don't have a clue how old saw is but it has been used a lot looks like so y'all think i can run a hone a little in cylinder and it'll be good ? What size is cylinder 50mm and anybody upgrade ? To a little larger piston cylinder ? Just asking may be bad idea as old as saw is. I appreciate the comments keep them coming
don't hone there are safer methods.
post a pic of the serial number tag.

Czed

Aluminium Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I also been meaning to post about a 394 cylinder i have. I converted a 394 to a 395 couple years ago and the 394 cleaned up really good but i had already bought the stuff to convert so put the word out there if someone needs a good 394 cylinder Oem. I will send to them for inspection before pricing and don't have a clue what it's worth but i know i wished i could have found one when i needed
@beaglebriar

Scott chandler

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
on the tlc - I've never been big on looks vs performance but i got a couple buddies i cut wood with. We all help out each other and none of us cut trees for a living but it's kind of like ugly girlfriends. They're great to be with but you don't want anybody to see you with them LOL. In the wood pile we like to compare saws - stihl vs husky and so on so i got to get this saw up to par looks and performance and once i do i will probably sell it to the stihl buddy that's been using a 562 that's new to me also. It opens his eyes after he used it. Nah i won't sell this 372 but i will let him use it for the bigger stuff. He has had the 395 since October

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    199 KB · Views: 27

Scott chandler

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So i am seeing 50 and 52mm cylinders and pistons - if i get into it this weekend and i do need both is meteor the route and caber rings or oem ? And the 52 or 50. I got to ask - how many up to the 52 and is it wise ?

Czed

Aluminium Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So i am seeing 50 and 52mm cylinders and pistons - if i get into it this weekend and i do need both is meteor the route and caber rings or oem ? And the 52 or 50. I got to ask - how many up to the 52 and is it wise ?
imho clean up your cylinder check and see if it's
oem and 50 or 52mm
the meteor piston kit will have caber rings included.

beaglebriar

The Peanut Gallery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
on the tlc - I've never been big on looks vs performance but i got a couple buddies i cut wood with. We all help out each other and none of us cut trees for a living but it's kind of like ugly girlfriends. They're great to be with but you don't want anybody to see you with them LOL. In the wood pile we like to compare saws - stihl vs husky and so on so i got to get this saw up to par looks and performance and once i do i will probably sell it to the stihl buddy that's been using a 562 that's new to me also. It opens his eyes after he used it. Nah i won't sell this 372 but i will let him use it for the bigger stuff. He has had the 395 since October
TLC to me means fix the shít that's missing/broken. Just stick with your OEM cylinder and a new Meteor like these guys have said. Delete the base gasket and open the muffler, it'll run pretty good.

Scott chandler

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That’s what i will do - i need info on how to clean up oem cylinder - i have that ball with fingers ( forgot the name) used for cleaning up cylinder and i have a regular hone. Suggestions welcomed and also where is best place to buy meteor piston rings and a good open muffler. Tell me about deleting gasket - literally just leave it off and put nothing under cylinder ?

Czed

Aluminium Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That’s what i will do - i need info on how to clean up oem cylinder - i have that ball with fingers ( forgot the name) used for cleaning up cylinder and i have a regular hone. Suggestions welcomed and also where is best place to buy meteor piston rings and a good open muffler. Tell me about deleting gasket - literally just leave it off and put nothing under cylinder ?
yes remove the gasket and use your preferred
gasket maker.