drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
5:15 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Mag sucks to weld. Didn't have to repair this case prior to sale, but figured why not.

No matter how much you clean it, it's still dirty. Especially the case bottoms where they've had no paint on them for years and have been sitting in bar oil.

Guys like Srcarr deserve a lot of credit. Mag is harder to weld than aluminum. Especially Stihl cases.

drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Moparmyway

Its just a saw
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks Doc !!
I've thought about it, but stopped short of actually doing it.

This donor cylinder was junk, can't recall if it was scored, gouged, or if it was missing plating. Shoot, my CRS has gotten so bad lately that I couldn't remember if I had a keyway in my last saw, or if I ran it without. I just advanced timing a few weeks back. This getting old sucks !

junkman

Crush it
Local time
2:15 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Mag sucks to weld. Didn't have to repair this case prior to sale, but figured why not.

No matter how much you clean it, it's still dirty. Especially the case bottoms where they've had no paint on them for years and have been sitting in bar oil.

Guys like Srcarr deserve a lot of credit. Mag is harder to weld than aluminum. Especially Stihl cases.
Have you tried burning the oil off with a torch first ? I have to do that when welding cast iron engine blocks to get them clean.

srcarr52

Shop rat, backyard slice cutter.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
J
Have you tried burning the oil off with a torch first ? I have to do that when welding cast iron engine blocks to get them clean.
I jet spray them for 1/2 hour, bead blast and then I still have to run the tig torch over most of it to burn out the oil and wire brush the contaminates out. I have a dedicated stainless steel brush that sits beside the tig torch. Weld a little, brush a little... repeat.

junkman

Crush it
Local time
2:15 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Sounds weird ,but an old timer told me to put the part overhead when doing cast ,he claimed the impurities would go to the bottom and get a cleaner weld ,i have yet to try it though .i am not the greatest overhead welder .

dall

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Sounds weird ,but an old timer told me to put the part overhead when doing cast ,he claimed the impurities would go to the bottom and get a cleaner weld ,i have yet to try it though .i am not the greatest overhead welder .
Overhead is the same as flat down

merc_man

merc_man
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Had to build a hitch for atv. Tore factory one off pulling logs.
c934071c91d4e464818e6fdc0536cd6a.jpg

Sent from my SM-J320W8 using Tapatalk