CrystalRiver1

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
5:17 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hey Studs,
Been reading that they both are one and the same.
Is there a difference really & if so which has the higher BTU's?
Spoke with an old-timer yrs ago and he said that water oak burned hotter than, burr/white oak and pig-nut hickory in his experience.o_O

Thanks
Reg

Woodpecker

Sassy Madam
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
6:17 PM
User ID
Reaction score
The middle of the land shaped like a hand
Country flag
It is effectively the same in properties as its family member the Northern/Southern Red Oak. Similar hardness and density. Once the wood is processed it's pretty difficult to tell the difference. It's pretty common for them to both be just called red oak firewood. Living they are easy to distinguish though as the water oak has drop shaped leaves. Hence the name water oak.

As far as it burning hotter than white oak or Hickory?:eek: I've never seen red oak burn hotter/better than either hickory or white oak. Maybe if the hickory or white oak wasn't seasoned properly, but otherwise forget about it.

The difference has to do with the structure of the red oak vs the other two species you mentioned. Some of the pores in red oaks are open making it weaker and lighter. Hickory and white oaks have no open pores making them heavier and stronger.

CrystalRiver1

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It is effectively the same in properties as its family member the Northern/Southern Red Oak. Similar hardness and density. Once the wood is processed it's pretty difficult to tell the difference. It's pretty common for them to both be just called red oak firewood. Living they are easy to distinguish though as the water oak has drop shaped leaves. Hence the name water oak.

As far as it burning hotter than white oak or Hickory?:eek: I've never seen red oak burn hotter/better than either hickory or white oak. Maybe if the hickory or white oak wasn't seasoned properly, but otherwise forget about it.

The difference has to do with the structure of the red oak vs the other two species you mentioned. Some of the pores in red oaks are open making it weaker and lighter. Hickory and white oaks have no open pores making them heavier and stronger.
Hmm...that's what I thought...appreciate the confirmation.
Have a Happy 4th of July!

Nutball

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What burns "hot" may be subjective. Different woods burn in different ways. most any bark will want to burn with lots of flame if you give it enough air. Ash wood will do the same as well as sappy evergreens, maple, and cottonwood. Hickory and hedge don't produce much of a flame, but still give off a lot of energy, and burn better than other woods when wet. That along with how they are so dense and burn so long could give them the appearance of burning hot as one load has plenty of time to heat the stove and wood inside.

I figure all wood burns hot, some just don't for very long.

ranchdadmike

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
735c2437e5f840d1bc87c46e95350b18.jpg

5d3c0d48fa76094c107b9a92abe77d9d.jpg

Sorry for jumping in the thread with a question of my own, but can anyone tell me what kind of oak this one is?

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
735c2437e5f840d1bc87c46e95350b18.jpg

5d3c0d48fa76094c107b9a92abe77d9d.jpg

Sorry for jumping in the thread with a question of my own, but can anyone tell me what kind of oak this one is?
Not certain on the oak species, but the one that's bent down over it.....that's ironwood. Good stuff.

Looks like a white oak to me

ranchdadmike

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Not certain on the oak species, but the one that's bent down over it.....that's ironwood. Good stuff.

Looks like a white oak to me

Gracias señor! For the record, I believe you’re right. It sure does smell like white oak. And the ironwood made it to the truck too

ranchdadmike

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
+1 it’s a white. White and chestnut are the most valuable oak species here.

The bark threw me off a little...it’s kinda flaky. But as soon as I made the first cut I could tell

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The bark threw me off a little...it’s kinda flaky. But as soon as I made the first cut I could tell
It can vary a little but the bark and color were a dead ringer for me. The leaves will be different as well vs red or black oak. They smell different too lol.

Last edited: