Willard

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
12:04 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
*Bumping*, just found this thread.
spencerpaving beautiful saw you built there!! You're like me it's all or nothing, Lol.

So 3 years later how's the Honda working out for you?
I'm in the market to build one too but looking at a CR325.

As normal lots of secrecy in the top level building industry. Since a DC Honda hotsaw was run last year by Stihl Timbersports world champion Laurence O'Toole alot of momentum from big bore kit and cone pipe suppliers ESR and LED seem to be getting quite popular.

So what I understand is in order to get a cone pipe and big bore kit for a hotsaw from LED Performance the customer has to order through DC Hotsaws. Is that true?

Everyone please feel free to chime in. Thanks.

Last edited:

Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
good day yesterday at erin woodfest...took home a 4th in open hotsaw

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I like how your hands are moving towards the saw before GO. Definently ZERO *f-wording around! Nice.

Willard

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I like how your hands are moving towards the saw before GO. Definently ZERO *frenching around! Nice.
Actually I noticed that too:D
All the years I ran a speed cutting event that was the most common DQ from my judges.

Nutball

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So how do they judge starting before go? If hand movement is in question, check a video? Looks hard to keep it in the pipe's tuned rpm

Willard

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So how do they judge starting before go? If hand movement is in question, check a video? Looks hard to keep it in the pipe's tuned rpm
It's pretty obvious, especially when I'm up on stage on the mike with 3 2 1 go. My 4 time keepers who are also judges have the final word. Videos are always on someone's phone.
Hard to keep a saw on the pipe pinned at WOT in small wood. Bigger gearing can work most times.

Nutball

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well, one of my issues was off and on throttle means it has to reaccelerate and you may or may not have more trouble finding the right rpm then, but IDK. What about a governor on them things to help hold the right RPM?

Willard

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well, one of my issues was off and on throttle means it has to reaccelerate and you may or may not have more trouble finding the right rpm then, but IDK. What about a governor on them things to help hold the right RPM?
The governor mechanism on my YZ bike saw was long gone when I cut off the transmission housing and locked the power valve wide open. I'm not sure how the 02 and newer Honda's with the electric power valve work.
I see the Rotax hotsaws have always had a working power valve on the ones I seen, I know nothing of those.
This DC Honda here I believe has no working power valve, O'Toole here holds it to the pin WOT in all 3 cuts. Smaller wood too.
Beautiful saw!!!

pgk1

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
1:04 PM
User ID
Reaction score
They say when you lift on the throttle between cuts it causes a ripple effect in the chain then you are more apt to throw a chain....my problem is the vibration and the revs scare the bejeezus out of me...I guess it's a good thing that I respect it a way

LOL! I'm sure it's easier said than done! I used to ride dirt bikes big bores for years then switched to a KTM 300EXC, much easier to ride but still plenty strong, I couldn't image holding the throttle wide open on a chain saw with that much power! Very impressive!

Pete

Willard

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That's the trouble with big bore hotsaws...vibration. Bigger piston throws out the balance factor to the crank.
Before I went to a deep belly guide bar with a oversize sprocket I threw chains on the YZ.
Deep bar is nice as the chain can be real snug but still rotates freely. You have to keep the tail of the bar as close as possible to the sprocket with the chain loading and off loading to the bar the best it can at WOT.
Only trouble with a deep bar of course in a close race is time lost transferring between cuts.