High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Wakizashi

Stihlbro

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
5:04 AM
User ID
Reaction score
I see what you are seeing with the piston. I say modify the piston and give it a try. A lighter piston never hurts. You can gain some piston cooling by not keeping the mixture under the piston. A sign of mixture staying around the bottom of piston is a blacken build up.

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
4:04 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Personally, I'm a fan of violent opening pressure on the transfers......so I like the bottom end to be as tight as possible.I like a saw with stuffers. So........taking more off the piston seems counter to what I look for.

Four Paws

Chrome won't get you home
Local time
3:04 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Personally, I'm a fan of violent opening pressure on the transfers......so I like the bottom end to be as tight as possible.I like a saw with stuffers. So........taking more off the piston seems counter to what I look for.

But what if you could induce an improved flow pattern? Funnel more charge into the transfers?

Increasing case pressure can be accomplished several ways -

1) reduce volume = stuffers/JB Weld/etc.
2) increase blowdown
3) decrease intake duration

Which is the best?

Four Paws

Local time
User ID
Reaction score

The 7900 Dolmar has a really tight case, and 30-ish degrees of blowdown. My thought is it lacks case volume to hold much extra charge than what it needs. If it had a larger case, could it have less blowdown? The 6400 utilizing the same case has 6 transfers. I think that shows the correlation between case volume and displacement.

I see what Josh is sayin, if the piston is slowing down the flow or giving the charge poor direction.

It's a guessing game at best, that's what I like about it, cuz nobody has a Definate answer

Speaking of piston interaction. The 7900 Dolmar went from a windowed piston to slab sided piston. Did the flow characteristics improve (feeding from base - no short circuit through piston windows), or was the reduction in weight the reason the saw gained?

drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Good stuff guys.

I had the same thoughts on the echo 490. @Red97 opened the bottom of his piston. I did not.

Not sure the percentage of time that the piston stays at BDC makes the mod worth it for flow. For lightening maybe, it's still fully supported. And it does dwell at BDC for some time.

Josh, did you measure how many degrees the change to the piston will be open vs. stock?

Deets066

AKA Deetsey
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
[QUOTE="

Speaking of piston interaction. The 7900 Dolmar went from a windowed piston to slab sided piston. Did the flow characteristics improve (feeding from base - no short circuit through piston windows), or was the reduction in weight the reason the saw gained?[/QUOTE]

It gained with a slab sided piston? Slab side should be heavier and create more velocity.

paragonbuilder

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The 7900 Dolmar has a really tight case, and 30-ish degrees of blowdown. My thought is it lacks case volume to hold much extra charge than what it needs. If it had a larger case, could it have less blowdown? The 6400 utilizing the same case has 6 transfers. I think that shows the correlation between case volume and displacement.

Speaking of piston interaction. The 7900 Dolmar went from a windowed piston to slab sided piston. Did the flow characteristics improve (feeding from base - no short circuit through piston windows), or was the reduction in weight the reason the saw gained?

What does the 6400 have for blowdown?

mdavlee

Hillbilly grinder
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

The six open transfers of the 6400 add a huge amount of volume to the case. As you thought, the 6400 has (and runs stronger) with much less blowdown.

The new piston is wonderful in my mind. It produces even more case compression with less weight. I say that because the area inside the piston is trapped, and adds to the force feeding the lowers.

Four Paws

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Anyone else have thoughts, examples or real world experiences to share?

exSW

'Cause Thomas is a poopyhead
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So, Joey @Stihlbro mentioned he has been studying his 620P. I think studying is the most important thing a guy can do to understand the specifics and intricate details of any subject.

That said, I have been studying wakizashi as well. Specifically how the piston and case feeds the transfers.

I have been pondering this piston modification.

View attachment 45265

I think it will allow more charge to flow unrestricted to the transfers. Plus offer the benefit of a lighter piston and increase volume for fresh charge.

View attachment 45266
680 piston
WP_20161219_002.jpg

Your modification
C__Data_Users_DefApps_AppData_INTERNETEXPLORER_Temp_Saved Images_20161218_170927-1.jpg

Bottoms up
WP_20161219_003.jpg

Last edited:

Four Paws

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Wow that piston is majorly melted.

Guess I am on to something...or not?

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

I think you are. The saw you are working on is a wide open design, so flow over velocity......yeah?

Timing numbers off the cuff without knowing the carb size. 98/116/78?

exSW

'Cause Thomas is a poopyhead
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

It was you that told me a 680 is basically a 575 with a bigger bore. This is what Shindaiwa did they must have had a reason. Love to see the inside of a 695.

Last edited: