High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Vendeta Die Squirrels

alleyyooper

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
5:43 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Was very over cast as I walked out the door to see if any squirrels were out and about after the rain this morning.

I slipped behind the barn to my deer blind at the edge of the woods with a huge hickory tree at the base of the hill. There are also several big acorn producing Oaks near. When deer hunting from this blind I have squirrels all over the place and even on the porch. Squirrels have chewed a hole thru the blind recent, even more reason to take care of the varmints and get some good eaten.

Wasn’t long after I had loaded the 22 mag mag’s full of rounds and the first squirrel appears coming down the hill. It heads to the creek for a drink then jumps on the log bridge to gain access to the hickory nuts on the other side. Once across the bridge it died of lead poisoning, 3 more to go. The next one comes down along the creek on the hickory tree side, grabs a nut and sets up to chew the hull off and lost his brains, two more to go.

It no sooner stopped twitching when the 4th one comes across the tree limbs till it gets to the hickory tree. Once at the hickory tree it stops, for a rest maybe? When it does it goes into permeant read mode one more to go. Had to wait what I felt like a good 20 minutes for the last one again arriving thru the tree tops. Runs out on a limb grabs a nut that was still hanging, retreated closer to the main trunk and sat up to start chewing . It also was hit in the head and dropped 20 feet thru the branches to the ground.

I am finished for this outting. Michigan allows 5 squirrels and 5 in the fridge or freezer.

I am going to put these in my freezer for a bit then take them to my brother who can’t hunt and really wants some squirrels.

:D Al

JohnnyBlade

JUST GONNA SEND IT
GoldMember
Local time
4:43 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well for some reason it not letting me like this post. I assume cuz we need some pics! :D;)
CONGRATS on the quick limit of tree rats and very nice of u to help out ur brother:campeon:

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Wow, sounds like Michigan needs to up the bag limit 'cause they are about to take over! You have mostly grays, reds, or what up there?

alleyyooper

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
These are fairly new to our woods about 5 years ago.

There are getting to be more grays in the woods, smaller than the red phase fox squirrels.

Then there are a lot of the big red phase fox squirrels

Wonkydonkey

Plastic member
Local time
9:43 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I got a fenn trap, I set it up for just these grey boys & girls. They have no natural predators here.. just the odd 1 here and there by road killing cars..

These pesky things eat fruit and nuts. as well as raid the bird feeders and eat the eggs .. well I feed them peanut butter on the trap... I’ve done about 20 in a month.. things are slowing down now I guess I’ve taken most of the locals out..

So . winter is almost here. I will be waiting for spring..:)

JohnnyBlade

JUST GONNA SEND IT
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
These are fairly new to our woods about 5 years ago.

There are getting to be more grays in the woods, smaller than the red phase fox squirrels.

Then there are a lot of the big red phase fox squirrels

NICE PICS AL! I remember the first time i went bowhunting deer in WI. I think we wer in Mercer, WI. I was 17 at the time. Being from IL id never new black squirrels existed. I was sitting in the stand when one appeared. I was like i have to have this on my wall:D nobody will ever believe me un less i bring it back to my uncles cabin. Lets just say they r faster than my old bow i was pretty damn accurate with. I was in the stand for about a half hour and i had 5 arrows stuck in the ground trying to shoot this mythological creature of the swamp. Needless to say i regained my composure and realized the beast was bullet proof and i had saved my last arrow in my quiver for a DEER! Lol! My uncle was laughin his azz off when i told him the story at dinner time. He said they r everywhere up here, take the pellet gun if u want one.........i decided to just focus on deer the rest of the week knowing the black beast won the war.:D We see them here in NE IL frequently now

alleyyooper

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
No ther black squirrel is just a different phase of the grey squirrel.
Cook them like any other squirrel.
A few includeing my Favoite.
My favorite is bacon wrapped squirrel.

squirrel legs, front or rear, amount depends upon how hungry you are
~ beer
~ garlic powder
~ pepper
~ salt
~ minced onion
~ hickory smoked bacon Soak the legs in beer for 2 – 3 hours. Remove and drain.

Sprinkle to taste with garlic powder, pepper, salt and the minced onion (or if you have a favorite dry rub for grilled squirrel you can use that instead).

Wrap each leg with bacon. Secure with toothpicks if necessary.

Place on hot grill (charcoal grill recommended for a nice smoky flavor, although a gas or electric grill will do the trick). Cook over medium heat until cooked through, tend to the meat as your cooking to make sure you do not over cook.

Caribbean Jerk Squirrel

1 or more whole squirrels
~ 1/2 cup garlic salt
~ 2 lemons
~ 1/2 cup Caribbean jerk seasoning
~ 1/4 cup honey
~ 1/4 cup chopped onion
~ 2 celery stalks, chopped
Place the squirrel in a large pot of water with the garlic salt.

Slice one lemon into slices and add to the pot.

Slice the other lemon in half and squeeze the juice into a bowl. Add the squeezed halves to the pot.

Bring to a boil and cook 15 – 20 minutes.

To the lemon juice, add the jerk seasoning and honey. Stir together.

Remove the squirrel from the pot. Drain well.

Place the squirrel on a large sheet of foil.

Stuff the celery and onion inside the squirrel. Pour on the seasoning mixture.

Wrap tightly in the foil.

Place in oven preheated to 350 degrees. Bake for 25 – 35 minutes.

Remove from oven and let rest a couple of minutes.

Fried Squirrel with Mushroom Gravy

3 squirrels, cut into serving pieces
~ flour
~ salt and pepper
~ 2 eggs, beaten
~ 3 – 4 pieces bacon, chopped
~ 1 medium onion, chopped
~ 1 can cream of mushroom soup
~ 1 soup can milk
Season the flour to taste with salt and pepper. Place in a bowl. Beat the eggs in another bowl.

Heat some oil in a large skillet.

Dip the squirrel pieces in the egg and then the flour. Repeat if you want. Add to hot oil.

Fry until golden brown. Remove and drain fat. Return to skillet.

Cover with the bacon and onion.

Mix the soup and milk together and pour over meat.

Cover, reduce heat and simmer for 2 hours.

460 magnum

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
NICE PICS AL! I remember the first time i went bowhunting deer in WI. I think we wer in Mercer, WI. I was 17 at the time. Being from IL id never new black squirrels existed. I was sitting in the stand when one appeared. I was like i have to have this on my wall:D nobody will ever believe me un less i bring it back to my uncles cabin. Lets just say they r faster than my old bow i was pretty damn accurate with. I was in the stand for about a half hour and i had 5 arrows stuck in the ground trying to shoot this mythological creature of the swamp. Needless to say i regained my composure and realized the beast was bullet proof and i had saved my last arrow in my quiver for a DEER! Lol! My uncle was laughin his azz off when i told him the story at dinner time. He said they r everywhere up here, take the pellet gun if u want one.........i decided to just focus on deer the rest of the week knowing the black beast won the war.:D We see them here in NE IL frequently now
:risas3:

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I don't eat rat.... I will shoot them noisy picks before pot hunting or in a tree stand. They get donated to lil old ladies who make squirrel pie, eww.

My yard here is filled with greys and they do some damage to the neighbor's homes and my deck just chewing on everything. I hope they move soon or a cull might be on order.

We have many nut and fruit trees here in my yard #littlebassturds.

exSW

'Cause Thomas is a poopyhead
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I don't eat rat.... I will shoot them noisy picks before pot hunting or in a tree stand. They get donated to lil old ladies who make squirrel pie, eww.

My yard here is filled with greys and they do some damage to the neighbor's homes and my deck just chewing on everything. I hope they move soon or a cull might be on order.

We have many nut and fruit trees here in my yard #littlebassturds.
You're a loon. Squirrel pot pie is to die for . As long as someone else cleans the little bastards

alleyyooper

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Cleaning squirrels inn't hard to do if you do the stand on the tail method.

fossil

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Black phase Grey squirrels were all we had (other than red up north) in Ontario when I was growing up.

Now there are brown ones with white ears, grey ones and even some white ones not too far away. They are a pest and are everywhere around here.
Smart little buggers and very destructive.

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Black phase Grey squirrels were all we had (other than red up north) in Ontario when I was growing up.

Now there are brown ones with white ears, grey ones and even some white ones not too far away. They are a pest and are everywhere around here.
Smart little buggers and very destructive.
See above your poast

alleyyooper

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score

Best system I have found, works great.

I use a 22 hornet down loaded to 22 Mag speed about 1800 FPS.

Some times I even use a 220 swift also down loaded to arounf 1800FPS.

Those loads are in the number 11 Speer reloading manual.
No ;loanger held hostage by ammo compaines who with hold 22LR and 22 Mag ammo.

fossil

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Can't shoot them in the city without some risk. Subsonic .22 hollow points do a great job though. I made quite a few go permanently deaf with a gopher trap but they are wise to that now.

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I think I need to get back to rabbits and squirrels. The grown up deer have been beating me for a few years now, and I don't take any pleasure in killing young ones that don't know any better since we aren't going to starve without them. I have a Zastava .223 bolt action that I imagine would be a real dandy with a flat point lead slug loaded to .218 Bee power level. Also have a super accurate Henry H001T and Ruger American, both in .22 LR. I wonder if Mepp's spinnerbait company still buys tails?