Utility Trailer Tips?

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
10:03 AM
User ID
Reaction score
I still run a 3/4 ton pu bed trailer from the eighties. Hint hint
They sell themselves. Ask me how I know...

Check out Franklin Trailers site to get a feel for prebuilt units done in batches. They come on stacked loads.

I still haul heavy firewood with a twin axle flatbed car trailer or my 1980 something three-quarter ton Chevy pickup converted to utility trailer. The welds at the front frame A are critical to having a good one. This trailer has had over 5k on it too many times. Full floater is the way to trouble free rolling gear. Year after year zero problems zero to maintain. Brakes are there if you want to add an electric solenoid to push them. Emergency brake is all hooked up but I never added a handle to mine. And old truck floor mount stick works great for a handle. The bed has factory pocket steaks. Lights are cheap online. Pick you type color brand yada yada. My trailer runs E or F class 15" rubber with steering tires off a box truck front on it. OE steel wheels. Not much else to tell but, maybe, it had a step bumper, removable tailgate, ball hitch for piggyback rides, factory spare tire storage and wait for it the strongest steel floor your ever going to get in mild stamped galvanized steel. Yuppers, Chebby and GMC made galvanized truck beds. Did I mention the closed camping platform with a sheet of plywood becomes a dry bottom. A cap, does a box cap fit your utility trailer?

Good Luck and happy hunting. Let me know if you need picks.

PS Every pick up truck accessory or bed accessory known to man fixes orvfits this thing. And yes, you can buy quarter panels with tool boxes in them. Remember these quarters, the front panel and all the tailgate hardware bolts on. Sure I missed something....oh yeah they made 6-9 foot beds, fleet or step-sides.

Schools out ;) enjoy your day

Last edited:

CrystalRiver1

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
9:03 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I still run a 3/4 ton pu bed trailer from the eighties. Hint hint
They sell themselves. Ask me how I know...

Check out Franklin Trailers site to get a feel for prebuilt units done in batches. They come on stacked loads.

I still haul heavy firewood with a twin axle flatbed car trailer or my 1980 something three-quarter ton Chevy pickup converted to utility trailer. The welds at the front frame A are critical to having a good one. This trailer has had over 5k on it too many times. Full floater is the way to trouble free rolling gear. Year after year zero problems zero to maintain. Brakes are there if you want to add an electric solenoid to push them. Emergency brake is all hooked up but I never added a handle to mine. And old truck floor mount stick works great for a handle. The bed has factory pocket steaks. Lights are cheap online. Pick you type color brand yada yada. My trailer runs E or F class 15" rubber with steering tires off a box truck front on it. OE steel wheels. Not much else to tell but, maybe, it had a step bumper, removable tailgate, ball hitch for piggyback rides, factory spare tire storage and wait for it the strongest steel floor your ever going to get in mild stamped galvanized steel. Yuppers, Chebby and GMC made galvanized truck beds. Did I mention the closed camping platform with a sheet of plywood becomes a dry bottom. A cap, does a box cap fit your utility trailer?

Good Luck and happy hunting. Let me know if you need picks.

PS Every pick up truck accessory or bed accessory known to man fixes ir fits this thing. And yes, you can buy quarter panels with tool boxes in them. Remember these quarters, the front panel and all the tailgate hardware bolts on. Sure I missed something....oh yeah they made 6-9 foot beds, fleet or step-sides.

Schools out ;) enjoy your day
BTW...whats yer thoughts on the wire mesh floors on some of the utility trailers?
I see tons of those around my region.

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
BTW...whats yer thoughts on the wire mesh floors on some of the utility trailers?
I see tons of those around my region.
They suck cause they stretch. You have to cover it with wood or use wood covered with expanded metal mesh for traction. My flatbed is diamond plate steel. None works well with my material unloader. With steel ribs or a bed liner it slides out like a steel dump truck. Try dragging off anything heavy or unloading it from a soft or uneven surface. Unload, chip, dirt, branches, mulch, sand or stone with a smooth or ribbed steel bed and an unloader. Easiest trailer to convert to a dump "body." Tilts just fine on it's own. Every parts store in America sells parts for the suspension. Most trailers don't have shocks. Steel straps on the tailgate instead of cable. Tows like a dream. Uses standard hitch attachments for cranes, coolers, bed extensions, vice mounts and such. Hollow quarter panels leave lots of room for custom storage mounts like batteries, another fuel cell, spare gas tank already installed or two, water tanks, air tanks, gen sets, tool boxes, a good place indeed.
Are you done asking question yet? Convinced?

CrystalRiver1

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
They suck cause they stretch. You have to cover it with wood or use wood covered with expanded metal mesh for traction. My flatbed is diamond plate steel. None works well with my material unloader. With steel ribs or a bed liner it slides out like a steel dump truck. Try dragging off anything heavy or unloading it from a soft or uneven surface. Unload, chip, dirt, branches, mulch, sand or stone with a smooth or ribbed steel bed and an unloader. Easiest trailer to convert to a dump "body." Tilts just fine on it's own. Every parts store in America sells parts for the suspension. Most trailers don't have shocks. Steel straps on the tailgate instead of cable. Tows like a dream. Uses standard hitch attachments for cranes, coolers, bed extensions, vice mounts and such. Hollow quarter panels leave lots of room for custom storage mounts like batteries, another fuel cell, spare gas tank already installed or two, water tanks, air tanks, gen sets, tool boxes, a good place indeed.
Are you done asking question yet? Convinced?
Hmm...mighty fine council.
That's it fer now...
Hey BTW...hahahahahha

Marshy

WFO Cutting
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I'm listing some trailers in my area and would appreciate some feedback:
1.) $500
67980068_492329961516874_3494417389531955200_n.jpg

2.) 2016 Black brothers 5x8 - $500
68373940_10219574099165382_6963478679422763008_n.jpg

3.) $500 - 5x8 utility trailer 2in coupler Omni trail tires 175/80R13 Tires are 2 years old
67561700_355234085389574_5243256522602971136_n.jpg

4.) $500 - Solid built 5 x8 trailer. Measures 5 by 8 inside box. All square tube construction, and stake pockets. 3200 lb
axle. Not pretty, but built like a bulldog. $500 firm
67809148_1324194234422867_3309019044526424064_n.jpg

5.) $450 - It is a 5 by 8 trailer with rhino bed liner covering the whole trailer. The only thing is the lights need to be replaced.
67887886_2417042631668249_3113505467423260672_n.jpg
If I had to choose one of the trailers listed it would be #4 because its built with the square tubing. That trailer will be much more rugged than the others built with angle. I bought a 14' single axle (built out of angle) because the price was right. I believe it has a 3500# axle. It's very easy to overload because it's almost like the trailer is too large for the axle (for doing firewood!). If I kick myself a little because I should have ponied up and bought a double axle so that I could haul my 30hp 4x4 tractor. But, cost would probably double...

Last edited:

Grjfer

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
A lot of good advice so far. I will add that I find a folding ramp very handy. I scrounge all my wood, and never know what I'm getting. The ramp make rolling big rounds up so much better than lifting. Wood decking over expanded metal all day every day. I will also suggest a 5 foot wide as a minimum.

I currently have a 5x14 single axel#3500. I will be replacing it with a 6x12 dual axel sometime soon.
IMG_20190302_151004.jpg

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
A lot of good advice so far. I will add that I find a folding ramp very handy. I scrounge all my wood, and never know what I'm getting. The ramp make rolling big rounds up so much better than lifting. Wood decking over expanded metal all day every day. I will also suggest a 5 foot wide as a minimum.

I currently have a 5x14 single axel#3500. I will be replacing it with a 6x12 dual axel sometime soon.
View attachment 197256
I use my wheel dolly for the really big free rounds left road side.
They wheel dolly has the potential to haul damn near anything fat and heavy. I have the monster Uhaul one. Must be close to a 10k axle under there. It has hauled concrete block before :)