High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Unlimited coils

heartwoodlover1001

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
4:38 AM
User ID
Reaction score
A question for you good folks, kinda new to the world of saw modifications. The benefit is: increased RPM that correct? The danger is engine meltdown!?

Is that a proper way to view such a modification? On a saw that is designed to operate near ten thousand like a 272, if pushing the upper limits of 12/13 plus, is it the design i.e. the piston cylinder crankshaft that can't withstand those increases, could someone explain the the process as a whole. Are their mechanisms that allow for this modification to be done Sager? Less safe?

For instance if a saw has a heavier piston option does that minimize the risk. Could some members discuss the specifics at play, experience, happiness/unhappiness.

Thank you so very much. Have a great night.

P.M.P.

Stiff Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Having a ported saw means it runs more effecient so it will run turn more rpm's as a result unlike stock .Having a unlimited coil helps get the full potential out of it.That way it can be properly tuned.A ported saw can be tuned to more or less as far as rpms go.
A stock 272 - 13,500 RPM not 10,000

Last edited:

jmssaws

Banneded
Local time
3:38 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Porting in most cases not only adds overall power but moves peak power up in rpm.
If your stock saw makes peak power at 9k then after porting it makes peak power at 10.5k and that creates chain speed and that's all any of its about.

The only way for it to cut faster is to turn the chain faster

jmssaws

Banneded
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
A question for you good folks, kinda new to the world of saw modifications. The benefit is: increased RPM that correct? The danger is engine meltdown!?

Is that a proper way to view such a modification? On a saw that is designed to operate near ten thousand like a 272, if pushing the upper limits of 12/13 plus, is it the design i.e. the piston cylinder crankshaft that can't withstand those increases, could someone explain the the process as a whole. Are their mechanisms that allow for this modification to be done Sager? Less safe?

For instance if a saw has a heavier piston option does that minimize the risk. Could some members discuss the specifics at play, experience, happiness/unhappiness.

Thank you so very much. Have a great night.
A heavier piston will absolutely shorten the life of the saw.
Lighter the better.
Nothing lives forever and saw parts are cheap.
Most broke or blew up only need a piston and that's cheap and easy.

If your stock saw turns 9k in the wood but after porting it turns 12k+ with the same setup then it most definitely will have a shorter life,maybe knock a month or 2 of the life of a production saw and a weekend wood cutter won't wear it out

Tune,dull chain and 99% of the time the ham fisted goon running it is what kills them not porting. A very small percentage of saws sold will ever be wore out.

Stock saws break too and when does the manufacturer usually gets the blame but when a ported saw breaks regardless for what reason,it's the porter that gets the blame and most of the time he fixes it for free to save face

How long should a stock saw last?
How about a ported one?

Coltont

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A heavier piston will absolutely shorten the life of the saw.
Lighter the better.
Nothing lives forever and saw parts are cheap.
Most broke or blew up only need a piston and that's cheap and easy.

If your stock saw turns 9k in the wood but after porting it turns 12k+ with the same setup then it most definitely will have a shorter life,maybe knock a month or 2 of the life of a production saw and a weekend wood cutter won't wear it out

Tune,dull chain and 99% of the time the ham fisted goon running it is what kills them not porting. A very small percentage of saws sold will ever be wore out.

Stock saws break too and when does the manufacturer usually gets the blame but when a ported saw breaks regardless for what reason,it's the porter that gets the blame and most of the time he fixes it for free to save face

How long should a stock saw last?
How about a ported one?
I have only ever granaded 1 660 in ten years of cutting timber. Religiously keep the chain sharp and try not to rip on them when they are pinched. They will last a long long time. I've got a 660 that I'm still running that's got a couple million feet of timber on it. I'd say it's still at 90%.

jmssaws

Banneded
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I have only ever granaded 1 660 in ten years of cutting timber. Religiously keep the chain sharp and try not to rip on them when they are pinched. They will last a long long time. I've got a 660 that I'm still running that's got a couple million feet of timber on it. I'd say it's still at 90%.
They are way tougher than most think.
Lot of guys pull the muffler every tank and search with a magnifying glass for a tiny scratch and when they find it,it's a full tear down for bearings and seals because it must have a airleak.

Coltont

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Lot of guys pull the muffler every tank and search with a magnifying glass for a tiny scratch and when they find it,it's a full tear down for bearings and seals because it must have a airleak.
Lots of people don't like the hd2. Say it lets through to much stuff. The 066/660 is not affected by it at all.

pro94lt

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
LOL that's the truth.

mdavlee

Hillbilly grinder
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've seen scratched Pistons make 180 lbs of compression. I have one from a 460 I used when playing with methanol/nitro. Few scratches and cleaned up with Scotchbrite and it still makes 190-200 with a little machine work.

Deets066

AKA Deetsey
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Unlimited coils make it easier for me to tune a saw. It's hard for me to tell sometimes if it's bangin the rev limiter or 4 strokin.

My saws will live longer with an unlimited coil because I know they will be running with a good tune

jmssaws

Banneded
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I've seen scratched Pistons make 180 lbs of compression. I have one from a 460 I used when playing with methanol/nitro. Few scratches and cleaned up with Scotchbrite and it still makes 190-200 with a little machine work.
If I can find the piston out of my 562
I'll post a pic of it and a video of it running it