Un seizing piston

furb

Super OPE Member
Local time
11:23 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Anybody ever try Gibbs? It's good stuff.

David Young

Safety First !!!!!!
Staff member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I do need to find a wooden block. Just never had anything on hand. Thats why i just went real east with brass punch and hammer. I probly could have poked it harder with my finger lol.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
When I was a kid 13-15 my buddy bought and old snowmobile a arctic cat 440 panther I think. Middle of the summer engine was froze. So we pull the heads and took a claw hammer to the pistons. No lube no block of wood just pounding on the piston. It worked freed it up then we started it and ran it around his lawn. Lol makes me cringe thinking about it. Lol

Flint Mitch

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
When I was a kid 13-15 my buddy bought and old snowmobile a arctic cat 440 panther I think. Middle of the summer engine was froze. So we pull the heads and took a claw hammer to the pistons. No lube no block of wood just pounding on the piston. It worked freed it up then we started it and ran it around his lawn. Lol makes me cringe thinking about it. Lol
We had an old Sno-Jet that froze up 2 summers in as row. Some ATF poured in and wait. 2 days later give a pull and it's free. About 300 pulls and lots of smoke later I was riding!

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

AlfA01

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
6:23 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Needless to say, but be careful with the open flames near the acetone. Highly flammable.

One of the guys on the boat forum was using a kitchen mixer to stir epoxy. He later cleaned it in acetone.

Accidentally switched the egg beater on and insta-fire in the boat. Luckily he had a fire extinguisher nearby.

That'll ruin your whole day right there.

Wonkydonkey

Plastic member
Local time
4:23 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
edited, I reread the post, and took notes.....

Note to oneself, read proper before replying :BangHead:

:bash: :oops:

Last edited:

Stihl working Hard

Is it Friday yet
Local time
11:23 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Will this acetone work? Its what wife uses for nail polish revoval.
b366524e388908924c0f51c2faa1d745.jpg

Don’t let her know your have taken it though,or the piston won’t be the only thing seized up:risas3:

redline4

I'm huge in Japan
Local time
10:23 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I do need to find a wooden block. Just never had anything on hand. Thats why i just went real east with brass punch and hammer. I probly could have poked it harder with my finger lol.

Your on a chainsaw forum and don't have a random chunk of wood somewhere near at hand? :D

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I buy WD-40 and Kroil by the gallon .I have tried tranny fluid and acetone with partial success .Always have a can full of kerosene or diesel fuel sitting around .Even have some aerosols of PB Blaster .They all work .They claim Coca Cola works but I've never tried it .Citrus oil does work on rust .How it works on aluminum oxide I have no idea .
What's surprising about things is unless the engine was under water in the Atlantic ocean for a decade usually the damage to the cylinder and piston is minimal .More often than not they are salvageable .

jasper89

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Years ago I used Coca Cola to free a piston and it worked well.

Don’t remember if it was diet or not.

angelo c

Coal Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I buy WD-40 and Kroil by the gallon .I have tried tranny fluid and acetone with partial success .Always have a can full of kerosene or diesel fuel sitting around .Even have some aerosols of PB Blaster .They all work .They claim Coca Cola works but I've never tried it .Citrus oil does work on rust .How it works on aluminum oxide I have no idea .
What's surprising about things is unless the engine was under water in the Atlantic ocean for a decade usually the damage to the cylinder and piston is minimal .More often than not they are salvageable .
funny Al...my "mix recipe" is 1/3 acetone 1/3 ATF 1/3 diesel and 2x the "patience"...time is the key to a "loosener"

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
They claim Coca Cola works but I've never tried it.

Years ago I used Coca Cola to free a piston and it worked well.
Don’t remember if it was diet or not.

Coca-Cola works on rust simply because it contains phosphoric acid; which is also the active ingredient in 'naval jelly'.

Philbert

Bilge Rat

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Kroil and gun solvent works for lifting crud, copper wash, lead from barrels.

A solvent gets into/under crud while carrying some kroil/ATF with it.
The Kroil is a surfactant, it floats the crud helping it to release from the part/barrel/cylinder.

Get a little surfactant/lube into and under the crud so when you whack the offending part with a hammer it moves .

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My favorite stuck engine story is my old Ford F-250 that was brand new in 1977 ,I was brand new in 1948 .It was stuck so I drowned the cylinders with Kroil and let it sit for a week. Then I broke it loose with a grease gun filled with motor oil .I couldn't get it to roll all the way over so I bumped it with the starter and got drowned with oil from all 6 spark plugs being out .Fired it and drove it out of the woods when my wife ran screaming out the back door"the trucks on fire ".It blew all that oil into the exhaust system and was smoking so bad you couldn't see the back of the truck .Looked like something from an Alfred Hitchcock movie .