High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

TYM and Mahindra Tractors...Got a John Deere Instead!

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
6:25 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thought this was interesting. The dealer that sold the tractor in 1982 sent me the factory brochure, which I thought was very cool:). Anyway, it says the reverser can be used at full power. I was under the impression that you should let the motor come back down to idle before reversing it. I think it would be better for the engine to leave it at a steady rpm, but it seems like that would beat up on drive components a little more.
2AA96CB3-9DB9-4ED6-8BCC-E645FE3740D4.jpeg

BAF3A5EF-3F41-49A5-B56F-05675641A944.jpeg

concretegrazer

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
5:25 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thought this was interesting. The dealer that sold the tractor in 1982 sent me the factory brochure, which I thought was very cool:). Anyway, it says the reverser can be used at full power. I was under the impression that you should let the motor come back down to idle before reversing it. I think it would be better for the engine to leave it at a steady rpm, but it seems like that would beat up on drive components a little more.
View attachment 111738

View attachment 111737

If it's like the one on the ag tractors of that era it'll work better at a higher rpm.

Ryan Browne

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
View attachment 111738

View attachment 111737

I know on some hydraulic shuttles, you can feather then into forward it reverse instead of just slamming it in; you can even inch a little by working it out of neutral just a little. My expertise with them is very limited, but I'd rather ease the direction change rather than have it be jerky. I think it's pretty tough to wear out the hydraulic clutch setup. Hopefully someone with more knowledge will chime in.

RyeThomas

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You have to try it out and get a feel for it, my 4510 is a Reverser and you can switch it anytime you like. It doesn’t immediately engage, it tends to roll a little bit before it engages.
The 4310 I’ve got has a switch on it that changes how firm the Reverser engages, it’s supposed to allow for a more forgiving shift (grass, wide open areas) and the other is a very quick shift for tight spaces.
This debate of to clutch or not is nothing new, you don’t need to. That said most of us do including me. One Could lead to more clutch wear, the other could lead to less drivetrain strain, who knows.

Make sure to test it and get a feel for it in an open area. Have fun, nice machine and good score.

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Nice. What are you cleaning with? I want to clean mine this spring .
Awesome piece of info the dealer sent. Seems to know good customer service.

Dawn dish soap and water in a spray bottle for the Easy stuff like caked on dust. For the greasy crap I let the dish soap soak on it for about an hour then scrub with a stiff cleaning brush w/solvent. Rinse with water.

The dealer that sent me the brochure is 5-Star equipment in Syracuse.

I know on some hydraulic shuttles, you can feather then into forward it reverse instead of just slamming it in; you can even inch a little by working it out of neutral just a little. My expertise with them is very limited, but I'd rather ease the direction change rather than have it be jerky. I think it's pretty tough to wear out the hydraulic clutch setup. Hopefully someone with more knowledge will chime in.

Mine doesn’t feather in, it’s either in or out. I’ll give it try after I get my new coupler installed...hopefully Friday.

You have to try it out and get a feel for it, my 4510 is a Reverser and you can switch it anytime you like. It doesn’t immediately engage, it tends to roll a little bit before it engages.
The 4310 I’ve got has a switch on it that changes how firm the Reverser engages, it’s supposed to allow for a more forgiving shift (grass, wide open areas) and the other is a very quick shift for tight spaces.
This debate of to clutch or not is nothing new, you don’t need to. That said most of us do including me. One Could lead to more clutch wear, the other could lead to less drivetrain strain, who knows.

Make sure to test it and get a feel for it in an open area. Have fun, nice machine and good score.

Thanks for the compliment bud...I’m extremely happy with this machine. More so then if I had bought a newer compact.

Mine seems to roll in smooth at higher rpms as you described, I just haven’t tried at full rpm yet. There is an adjustment on the bottom of the hydro reverser valve body, if I don’t like how it acts I can make it come in faster or slower. I just want the bucket to operate at normal speed when working without having to throttle up like I was in the video. Not a big deal, but there’s always better ways to do things and I really think it will be better for the engine to remain at a constant rpm instead of revving it all the time.

Last edited:

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Here’s the illustration of the reverser adjustment in the brochure I received form the dealer. I may not even mess with it if it goes in nice and smooth...definitely don’t want it to be jumpy which it is not now.
33596A88-55EE-4D5B-A4AB-CAB56DE429BC.jpeg

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Spent some time on the tractor pushing snow around and experimenting with the reverser. You nailed it @concretegrazer , it actually goes in smoother and more “positively” at higher throttle settings. I really don’t think harm is being done by not clutching between forward and reverse. I WILL ensure that the tractor is stopped before changing direction as I think not coming to a stop could certainly wear something out prematurely.

Notice how sluggish it engages at lower rpm in the video. That wasn’t even low idle of 600rpm. Much better with the throttle up, this was in L1 and it wasn’t jerky at all. Engages very smooth. I’ve found 1500rpm to be a good working rpm for fast loader function and smooth trans engagement. Yet another reason I’m really liking this reverser feature. Pardon the injection pump rattlin in the video, my phone really pics up certain noises and exaggerates them.

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The rpms up helps the hydraulic. Like when yer loading an stuff I usually still clutch as if the bucket is full you ease out on the clutch and maybe not spill so much.

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The rpms up helps the hydraulic. Like when yer loading an stuff I usually still clutch as if the bucket is full you ease out on the clutch and maybe not spill so much.
I’ll still clutch in close quarters loading stuff, and my clutch reflex is still alive and well...lol

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’ll still clutch in close quarters loading stuff, and my clutch reflex is still alive and well...lol
I just can’t turn the reflex off. I have a backhoe with no clutch. Boy do I struggle. I clutch anyhow. Or pretend to be. Stomp the floor to death in that thing. Ol left foot always looking for it

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I just can’t turn the reflex off. I have a backhoe with no clutch. Boy do I struggle. I clutch anyhow. Or pretend to be. Stomp the floor to death in that thing. Ol left foot always looking for it
That there is funny. “Pretend to clutch” LOL!

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I do a hell of a lot of loading with that thing. Ol lefty never stops huntin for it. I yell at him. Try to call him off.
I know the feeling, I always clutch stomp the floor of automatic vehicles. My daily driver is a stick. My wife gets a kick out of my left foot and right hand searching for stuff if I’m driving her truck.

Ryan Browne

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
For the last decade every vehicle I owned was a manual. It wasn't uncommon for me when I did hop into an automatic to be coming up to a stop sign and just as the engine rpm would drop to idle I'd step on the clutch, except that the clutch wasn't there and I'd find the left edge of the brake pedal and come to a rather abrupt stop.