High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Two Poulans Neither Will Start

jsup

New OPE Member
Local time
7:05 AM
User ID
Reaction score
I have two Poulans in the garage. Can't get these things to run. I put in new carbs, re-did the fuel supply lines, and have spark, in both cases. One is a 2375 "Wild thing" the other is a PP4218. Same problem.

Both have a brand new spark plug. I checked for spark by shutting all the lights, pulling the cord, with a grounded but not installed spark plug in place.

I did the inital setting for both jets, screwed all the way in, and backed off 1.5 turns, which for every other carb in the world is OK.

I double checked the primer routing, seems correct. One goes to the bottom of the carb, the other to the vent back into the tank. The top input of the carb goes straight to the tank.

The PP4218 was running, and it was running at really high RPMs when I let off the throttle. The 2375 never ran. I adjusted the high side jet, and that's when it stalled and never started again.

Anything special I should know about setting up new carbs on these things?

Thanks in advance. Any help and suggestions would be appreciated.

Nutball

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
6:05 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Some need over 2 turns out. My Echo 352 runs at about 3.75 turns out on the high. I found that kind of weird, but maybe it's normal for Echos. If you don't have a manual, I'd try closing both needles, then a lot of cranking to clear fuel from the engine. You can either start with the low or high speed needle: for starting with the low, open 1/2 turn at a time and try starting with the choke. Keep turning the needle out some until it starts. Choke off, and get it running stable at idle. Then start opening the high speed and trying a quick transition to full throttle. Keep opening the high speed until the engine doesn't want to die at full throttle, then tune the needles from there.

To check if gas is getting through the engine: crank it with the choke on, then smell the muffler. A sure fire way can be to remove the spark plug and hold a torch flame near the plug hole while cranking. There's gas when puffs of fire come out the plug hole. If you get puffs of fire, and spark, but the engine never fires even after ensuring it isn't flooded with too much gas fumes, then the cylinder could be worn out. Check the rings through the exhaust port.

AVB

Super OPE Member
Local time
6:05 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You do a compression test first as if you have less than 100 psi you are wasting your time as the PNC is most likely toast. But yes 1-1/2 is the usually start up setting for these. Now with the 4218 if it has an airhead carburetor the high final setting will likely need more turns out to run properly. I don't even do a carb rebuild until I check the compression.

Normally for carb tuning you get the idle setting done first then the high side as they do interact. The idle mixture may need to enriched a little to remove the flat spot as you go from idle to full speed. You also should be using a tach as need be slightly rich from highest speeds settings. I usually drop off about a couple hundred on the high side speed.