Twisted Up 56 Mirrometer 660 Jug Build.

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
6:38 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Nice Mike. Does the saw breathe better with the Maxflo filter on it?

Yes, but I wanted to put the filter cover on, but if I did it would not be able to breath 360 degrees, so I left it off. Not really crazy about having an exposed foam oil soaked filter, but no real choice!

Why didnt you hand split that Elm?

Because I'm not stupid??? Also, Al wanted me to put some run time on the saw, and don't have any big wood at the moment, so noodling the Elm was the best I could do.

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Lol. Cool. Those saws love the Max Flo filters.
You normally have some of that big, big oak stuff. Like 32" diameter red oak rounds. Lol
Just funnin ya about hand splitting the wood.
But I do swing an axe for 99% of my firewood.
I must be real stupid. LMAO

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Until 3 years ago, I split everything by hand. Did it on purpose to stay in shape. Started getting tennis elbow in my right arm at about 15 cord for that year, had to start the saws left handed, so I broke down and got a hydro.

I still split all the wood for my cabin by hand (mostly Ash & Cherry) and some of the wood down here, but most of the stuff down here sees the hydro, just keeps the old body going longer.

If it were only 5 or 6 cord a year, I would still do it all by hand. But the last few years I've been doing over 20 cord per year, so I kinda need the hydro to keep me going. Plus, Elm, Black Birch & Hickory are just not fun to split by hand. Ditto Norway Maple and Chestnut Oak.

Last edited:

Fruecrue

certified hand catcher
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Until 3 years ago, I split everything by hand. Did it on purpose to stay in shape. Started getting tennis elbow in my right arm at about 15 cord for that year, had to start the saws left handed, so I broke down and got a hydro.

I still split all the wood for my cabin by hand (mostly Ash & Cherry) and some of the wood down here, but most of the stuff down here sees the hydro, just keeps the old body going longer.

If it were only 5 or 6 cord a year, I would still do it all by hand. But the last few years I've been doing over 20 cord per year, so I kinda need the hydro to keep my going. Plus, Elm, Black Birch & Hickory are just not fun to split by hand. Ditto Norway Maple and Chestnut Oak.
I had an outdoor wood boiler at my previous house. Wood was it for heat and hot water 9 months out of twelve.
I split all of the wood by hand for five years before my elbows started to sting and burn.
You get so efficient after a while that you can hit any split or crack in the log face.
I too, bought a hydraulic splitter when my elbows started to interfere with my work.

Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
5:38 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yes, but I wanted to put the filter cover on, but if I did it would not be able to breath 360 degrees, so I left it off. Not really crazy about having an exposed foam oil soaked filter, but no real choice!
Can you put some Frogskinz on the cover?

Because I'm not stupid??? Also, Al wanted me to put some run time on the saw, and don't have any big wood at the moment, so noodling the Elm was the best I could do.

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I suppose I could put frogskin on the cover, if I had some, but the filter is still pressed against it, which can not be a good thing.

Unfortunately, except maybe on the 661, these things just function best "open 360 degrees".

Also, wing nuts will NOT WORK to hold it in place. The screw thing has to be inserted into the hole in the filter cover to reach the threaded rod.

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Mike, it should have come with 2 backer plates. The other plate has a smaller hole.

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Mike, it should have come with 2 backer plates. The other plate has a smaller hole.

The smaller hole plate goes inside, the larger hole plate goes outside (in place of the cover). To reach the screw, the knob has to go through that hole. Take a cover off a 460 or 660 and look at the knob and you will know what I mean. The threaded rod does not reach the outside of the cover.

riverrat2

Semper Fidelis
Local time
5:38 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Lol. Cool. Those saws love the Max Flo filters.
You normally have some of that big, big oak stuff. Like 32" diameter red oak rounds. Lol
Just funnin ya about hand splitting the wood.
But I do swing an axe for 99% of my firewood.
I must be real stupid. LMAO
It is real good cardio /hand Eye coordination work ouit

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Working on 2 more Chines 660s today, and very disappointed that the big gear from the chain adjuster does not even fit in the relief hole in the case! Now I have to disassemble a OEM saw to figure out if the gear is too big, or if the hole in the case is too small!

The extra work involved is very disheartening!