drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
9:37 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Check rpm after coming out of a long cut.

Fatter generally safer and makes more power in the wood. Tune also has to do with ambient temp, bar size, cutting technique, air filter restrictions, etc.... As Simon says above.

As long as Saw sounds smooth in the cut and then sounds "dirty" out of the cut, you're ok and safe. I run my own saws on the fatter side. I'm only racing myself.

JasonRKBA

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks guys. Good info and much appreciated.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
First of all an 029 never had points .Secondly with an AM coil you don't know what the threshold trigger is set at ,could be firing late .Thirdly throw the tach away and tune by ear .They will run where ever they run at and do just fine .It's an 029 not a souped up race ready 084

junkman

Crush it
Local time
6:37 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If don't have a tach ,can tune in "The Wood" find a good sized log that the whole bar will be used then turn the h needle till it makes the most power in the cut .it will then be rich in anything smaller and a safe tune to run .

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Okay after a little research ,I found this .The very early 028 could have had points ,most did not .The saw lists three different coils and three flywheels Solid state Bosc,solid state SEM and the points coil. Although I have no info it would not surprise me if the SEM coil had a self advance . This I do know if you use the wrong flywheel with a mismatched coil they won't run right .