Tsumara bars issue

ammoaddict

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
5:41 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Can you drill a new tensioner hole just behind the others? The only problem is it being hard stuff, so use a new high quality drill bit, oil, relatively low rpm and high pressure.
Hmmm. Interesting

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

AlfA01

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
11:41 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I haven't noticed this either, but I'm curious to look at my Tsumura 36". It's the only one I haven't had milled to allow the 3003 mounts to fit D009.

You can always have it milled to allow a little more adjustability. Tsumura steel is some hard stuff. My machinist was not happy with me that day. Lol.

Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
4:41 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

deye223

AIR FUEL SPARK VROOOOOM
Local time
8:41 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have noticed this on my 460 and 461 but I spin up my own loops so it's not a problem for me

CR888

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
8:41 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
First I'd physically count the DL's on the chain in question to be sure its 105dl & not accidentally 106dl. Normally in a situation like this you adjust the chain to correct length not modify the bar. In any case you want the gap between the bar heel and sprocket as short as possible. Chains get longer as they wear/stretch so when you start new chain you want a decent amount of adjustment room in the slot so you don't run out of adjustment as the chain gets longer. I'd start by counting the DL's first, then take it to the chain dept in the OP's shop that should have at MINIMUM a breaker, spinner, tackle box divided with presets spare links in ALL drive pitches of every brand/design of chain (including NOS 1/2" & Hi-top .404). Find a spot to work in between the Bar Shop which should be on one side and the Simminton that's in the corner but stay away from the grinding station that's cluttered up with 3 511 style grinders set up with different wheel sizes (your forgiven for not having a 4th dedicated for rakers). And get too work, the 100ft chain rolling spools should be mounted to the wall eye level, just peel off what you need and get that saw sorted.

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
4:41 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Have you laid the Tsumura bar on top of the STIHL bar to directly compare tail profile, slot length, bar belly, etc.?

Will a new 104DL chain fit on the saw / bar combination, or do you have to wait until it stretches?

Spinning out a link is not a big deal, as long as you are not surprised by it in the field. Could be confusing if they have to run 105 DL on some saws, and 104 DL on others.

Philbert

Michael Rupley

Super OPE Member
Local time
2:41 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Can you drill a new tensioner hole just behind the others? The only problem is it being hard stuff, so use a new high quality drill bit, oil, relatively low rpm and high pressure.
I could be wrong but shouldn't the hole be in front of the others

Jimmy in NC

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Have you laid the Tsumura bar on top of the STIHL bar to directly compare tail profile, slot length, bar belly, etc.?

Will a new 104DL chain fit on the saw / bar combination, or do you have to wait until it stretches?

Spinning out a link is not a big deal, as long as you are not surprised by it in the field. Could be confusing if they have to run 105 DL on some saws, and 104 DL on others.

Philbert
Not a Stihl bar but a Carlton we had handy.
7ec4835fcd231769be2694446053f940.jpg

Jimmy in NC

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
First I'd physically count the DL's on the chain in question to be sure its 105dl & not accidentally 106dl. Normally in a situation like this you adjust the chain to correct length not modify the bar. In any case you want the gap between the bar heel and sprocket as short as possible. Chains get longer as they wear/stretch so when you start new chain you want a decent amount of adjustment room in the slot so you don't run out of adjustment as the chain gets longer. I'd start by counting the DL's first, then take it to the chain dept in the OP's shop that should have at MINIMUM a breaker, spinner, tackle box divided with presets spare links in ALL drive pitches of every brand/design of chain (including NOS 1/2" & Hi-top .404). Find a spot to work in between the Bar Shop which should be on one side and the Simminton that's in the corner but stay away from the grinding station that's cluttered up with 3 511 style grinders set up with different wheel sizes (your forgiven for not having a 4th dedicated for rakers). And get too work, the 100ft chain rolling spools should be mounted to the wall eye level, just peel off what you need and get that saw sorted.
First thing we did was count drivers. Next we tried two new Stihl chains. I hate to break bunches of chains down for this bar but will if I have too. I think the issue is it is not a 105 dl 32" bar...it is a 104 dl bar.

Custom length chains in a commercial setting is not good. Having standard stock length loops is a great thing. I feel responsible for suggesting this and it is not what it should be.