Ts400 builders

Jughead

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
4:42 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Are all of the crankcases *s-wordty? Bought a ts400 the other day to build.also had one packed back from a few years ago that also had a meltdown.in the meantime I bought a good set of cases with a spare crank and was going to switch everything over to those cases after installing new bearings.
Last night I was installing new bearings in the spare cases everything dropped in place without a problem after heating.went to installing the crank,lifted the pto side case and the bearing stayed on the crank.it was like the new bearing was too small on the outside diameter.since I didn't have any bearing locker I pressed everything apart.I cleaned the cases from the new saw I bought the other day.heated,installed bearings,bearing stayed in the pto side case this time.sooooooo..... I heated the inner race on the clutch side case and slipped it over the crank.bolted together and low and behold friggin clutch side is cracked.not really anywhere important but towards the top where the top cover bolts on.
Anyone else have any problems with the Ts400's? I still have one more saw to tear down for parts or rebuild if I find a new cheap top end just wondering if they are this bad if I need to unload what I got and buy a different model? Put many hours on a ts400 that my buddy owns without a problem but dang 2 sets of bad cases.

Tpagel

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
3:42 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Never messed with them but I got a couple scored cylinders a while back from the dealer to play with.
They seem much more square than most chainsaw cylinders free for shipping if you have the need to try to clean them.
Pm me for pics

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jughead

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Never messed with them but I got a couple scored cylinders a while back from the dealer to play with.
They seem much more square than most chainsaw cylinders free for shipping if you have the need to try to clean them.
Pm me for pics

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
appreciate it.got a pile of them and so far from air filter blockage they bad,bad,bad.if it isn't that its from pto side bearing grenading

Mark71gtx

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Those saws get used hard and often. The constant diet of concrete dust is no help either. I don't think the problem is the particular model as much as it is the hours on it and how they have been cared for (or not).

Jughead

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
true mark.this one is up and running decent now.carbs a little bit off.dont like that they dont have a high side adjustment.

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
i have two tillotsons and both only have the low screw.these are the old 3 bolt coil.
I don't remember if mine has the 2 bolt or 3 bolt coil. But there's definitely a H and L screw. Aftermarket ones have both screws too

Jughead

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
bought a rebuild kit so i could just rebuild and slap the carb on but may go with an aftermarket carb shortly.have a concrete demo job coming up and we'll definately need two saws.had a target quickie 80 made by olympik but it grew legs and walked off a while back.:cursing2:

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You're keeping the good one at least. I wore out a partner 760 in 2 years. The recoil rope had been replaced so many times the case threads wore out. Bought the 400 20 years ago and it's still good

Jughead

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
always heard bad things against the partners and huskys.the target i had was a hoss.looked really bad but ran like a new one.hope i find it.ill know it when i see it.

Onan18

OPE Sponsor
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My experience with the Partners has been nothing but positive, they seem to go forever. Huskys air filters suck, always have, probably always will. I refuse to stock their concrete saws they are that bad. When a customer comes in looking for one I tell them to go down the road and buy a Stihl. If one lives a year it is unusual, many die from dust ingestion within six months.

Joe

Jimmy in NC

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I like the build of the Husky and Partner saws better...personal preference. I have build dozens of TS400s and 420s. They are good saws and parts are all over the place.

Jughead

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well so far so good.this thing really rips the concrete.tecomec top end,single ring,base gasket delete with .031 squish.I sure am glad I checked with the gasket it would have been around .070. Still would like to get it down to .018 to .020. Ran it on 90 non ethanol and lucas semi synthetic.3 days of sawing slabs and 3 gallons of gas through it without any problems.I think i'll take off the muffler and checkhart to see if there is any carbon build up on the piston and port.