Trojan performance saws

paragonbuilder

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
12:01 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'd love to get a closer look at that serial number plate.
Definitely looks like some AM covers and maybe tank

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ryan Browne

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
11:01 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
"An RPM saw might have less torque than one tuned for torque - maybe your saw is huge and power isn't the problem but speed in the wood is, sure make it speedy..."

"A hybrid ceramic bearing is great for every saw, it doesn't build heat with load, so no matter how hard you work it, the bearings are just chilling..."

"The weight difference on this set up is 7 grams less then stock and it makes a monstrous difference. These saws are built from the crank case up, the crankcases are made for me from 2101c Air Craft Aluminum Composite Alloy which is vastly structurally stronger then magnesium and they dissipate heat 5 times faster, they can take a lot of abuse,"

They say that some builders' work speaks for itself. This guy certainly speaks for his work... ;)

cus_deluxe

terms of service violator
Local time
12:01 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yeah i know those wiseco pistons are spendy, meteor top end is prob $150 or so? China 372 kit is 300 or so? If im gonna pay $1200 for a ported 372 (which im not), id buy a brand new one for under $900 and have it ported by a reputable builder. 97 feedback doesnt inspire a ton of confidence haha.

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
6:01 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
"The weight difference on this set up is 7 grams less then stock and it makes a monstrous difference. These saws are built from the crank case up, the crankcases are made for me from 2101c Air Craft Aluminum Composite Alloy which is vastly structurally stronger then magnesium and they dissipate heat 5 times faster, they can take a lot of abuse, the crankshaft chamber has been modified in the casting process which gives better flow to the ports."
Does this sound fishy to any of You?
First of a "7 grams" weight difference on the whole PH is next to nothing, it is the weight of like a single piece of paper!
Secondly, he's getting the crankcase custom cast just for his builds?
No cast is perfect and if nothing else the mating surfaces would require processing, processing takes time and money.
This entire section of his ad doesn't seem right!

"The saw pictured is one I built for myself from spare parts,..."
Don't worry, the saw he's going to build for You will be made out of custom ordered parts that are better and more durable than OEM, never mind them probably coming from CN.

"I think its the baddest saw in the woods with minimal mods that I've built in my 40+ years of building saws, its a beast and she'll Git r Dun."
How come his own personal saw doesn't feature everything he claims to mod on a customers saw? Or does he consider a custom crankcase, ceramic bearings, Wiseco piston, Meteor cylinder and whatnot MINIMAL MODS?

"This is power head only, if you want a bar and chain I will supply one at my cost."
I wonder, will it say "Holzfforma" on the bar, because that would be like 15-20$ at his expense.

Anybody willing to cash out 1200$ for a 70cc saw of unknown origin with a build description like his shouldn't be treated as a victim if it turns out the saw is a pile of poop!

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I can't throw the guy under the bus as I have not had a saw in my hands he built. I will say that not everything AM is necessarily bad, some is actually quite good now. Some even better like the piston and bearing. Meteor cylinders are OEM quality as well, as they are an OEM supplier for P&C's to a number of company's. So I could not say he's trying to be a shyster here. I've seen assembled kit saws as is for damn near the same money, that's a whole other story in and of itself. Is what he's doing worth the money? Not to me, I'd do it myself if I were so inclined. He does offer a warranty and a number where you can get a hold of him. Not what the shyster types do. So to that I say give him a call and ask him whatever you would like to know. OEM parts are literally made all over the world today, including China, you get a brand new saw from a dealer, odds are it has China made parts in it, if not completely made like some are starting to pop up. The days of whipping the Chinese for every problem in a saw is coming to a close. As everyone has a plant operating in China today. I don't necessarily like everything that goes on these days, but that's the way it is. Not everything is static, and the manufacture of parts is no different. One more point I would like to make, it is nice to see something used made in the good old USA for a change, like the Wiseco piston for example. More of this is what I would like to see. We can do it better, who is willing to pay is the question.

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My biggest concern was where are the crank case halves coming from that he is getting some fancy alloy to have them cast out of

Was not my concern, but biggest wonderment for sure. Would be curious to know about that and if so where to acquire such a thing. @Gentleman Do you have any idea about this aluminum alloy crankcase halves?

astnmacgto

Earn a living with white powdery substances
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Was not my concern, but biggest wonderment for sure. Would be curious to know about that and if so where to acquire such a thing. @Gentleman Do you have any idea about this aluminum alloy crankcase halves?
Wonderment is a much better word for it.

If the guy is going to all the trouble of hybrid ceramic bearings, dominant piston and fancy cases, why not put an oem cyl on it. It would probably have better numbers and cost not that much more.

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Wonderment is a much better word for it.

If the guy is going to all the trouble of hybrid ceramic bearings, dominant piston and fancy cases, why not put an oem cyl on it. It would probably have better numbers and cost not that much more.

Might be the Italian cylinder has better numbers. Strongest 272 I've built had a Tecomec cylinder on it, beat out all the Mahles, hands down. Can't always make assumptions until you actually try it out and see. Meteor is a top notch company making quality products, everything I've used from them was at least equal OEM in performance. Not one Meteor thing is in my pile of rejects, put it that way. In fact I just purchased one of their pistons for my own saw, I trust them just fine.

astnmacgto

Earn a living with white powdery substances
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Might be the Italian cylinder has better numbers. Strongest 272 I've built had a Tecomec cylinder on it, beat out all the Mahles, hands down. Can't always make assumptions until you actually try it out and see. Meteor is a top notch company making quality products, everything I've used from them was at least equal OEM in performance. Not one Meteor thing is in my pile of rejects, put it that way. In fact I just purchased one of their pistons for my own saw, I trust them just fine.
Yeah, I wouldn't know which would have better numbers, that's why I covered my bases by saying probably lol...

I am curious if any of the plastics are oem.

Also did anybody notice he is only selling that one model, no other saws or anything

CoreyB

Yep I am your neighborhood coffee man
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
It would be interesting to see one in action and see if it works better. Lol
Wonder how it would perform in sub 0 temps. If it cools that much would it have effect on tune. Warm up and restarts . I know I would have fun testing it out but I couldn't justify $1200 myself.

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm by no means saying CN made products are bad!
I have a whole lot of tools openly stating "Made in PRC" and some of them are exceptional regarding reliability.
I prefer buying affordably priced CN products rather than purchasing a overpriced brand name product that will take ages to pay itself back at the amount of usage it will see in my hands.

As others already stated, too much info regarding the special mods he's supposedly implementing is making this look like a rabid cat in a bag.

He might just as well be legit though.
I really don't care, but I will gladly be the first one to say "I told You so!" once the cat gets out of the bag and bites someone.

"Trojan Performance" ?
Hmm, I'm gonna start selling "Placebo Effect Performance" saws . . .

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It would be interesting to see one in action and see if it works better. Lol
Wonder how it would perform in sub 0 temps. If it cools that much would it have effect on tune. Warm up and restarts . I know I would have fun testing it out but I couldn't justify $1200 myself.
Open a GoFundMe? :p