beaglebriar

The Peanut Gallery
GoldMember
Local time
3:51 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My neighbor and independent thinker. Who needs springboards when you have a tractor bucket & a ladder... ??? Wonder whether the resulting chair toward the transmission lines was intended as part of the drama. o_O
You sure he didn't pull it off with the tractor? Looks like plenty of hold wood was left. Either way it's a *s-wordty approach. Lol

pwheel

Finis Origine Pendet
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You sure he didn't pull it off with the tractor? Looks like plenty of hold wood was left. Either way it's a *s-wordty approach. Lol
Pulled the tree over with a line to the backhoe after the fibers started to chirp and I started screaming at him to get off the ladder. Then the chair.

~WBF

Thecallofthewildanswered1989-2017[PAID IN FULL!]
Local time
8:51 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Pulled the tree over with a line to the backhoe after the fibers started to chirp and I started screaming at him to get off the ladder. Then the chair.
Obviously there is no undercut.
'Looks' like his intentions were to not be on the ladder whilst the tree fell with only a back cut in place. Back cut looks offset from the pull direction which would explain why it didn't barber chair under pull. (Twist off) It looks & sounds like he actually made the single cut in the direction of the lean creating barber chair potential as he was on the ladder? It's a man made snipe. (long pointy thingy) Generally from cutting most of the way through the tree. Other ways you would get that effect without an U/C would be from doing the same thing with a shallower back cut but strapping above the cut. Also low leverage points that would likely be in conjunction with structural defects below the cut. Not that I learned from doing those practices. It just seems the common law of life to me. It will take the path of least resistance.

He needs to put a drop back cut in with holding wood if he doesn't want to be off the ground when the tree falls. Generally done for back leaners instead of wedges but it can be used on mildish forward leaners with a lower drop (more vertical holding wood. God hates a coward.

Last edited:

merc_man

merc_man
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Heres a big ash i started cutting up this am. Thats a 25 inch bar in the 038. Must been close to 28 to 30 inch on the stump
338cbbc53755ebdba697b1f2f27b7ea8.jpg
26431f0645609c903f1c07264c34a241.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

~WBF

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Looks like the trees have a couple thousand foot fall to make. They might just replant at the bottom.

Nice picture
That's what a PNW conventional Faller calls 'limbed, toped & delivered.
Nothing beats hitting a landing ramp.
'We' engineer landing ramps for ski jumping and Motocross. They land flat they break bikes and bodies.
You get a 3ft + softwood on a 45° slope and cut in a west coast Swanson then it will leave that stump at about 40-45 mph almost standing on end. So the butt is like a giant brake as it dragges down the hill.
Then you have that extra 40 mph forward momentum = a head wind into the branches. Untill it hits a certain angle then it comes down slower.
There is a misconception about sending timber down the hill.
It's like, would you rather fall out of the sky or wipe out on a landing ramp at equal speed. I would take my bruises on the ramps every time.

~WBF

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
15710153182691086325984.png IMG_20160812_075718806 (1).jpgThese were all personally delivered to the road for high grading. They are all sitting on the flatter banks just above steep ground. That's where you will get the bigger vaines of wood other than at the bottoms as they feed better there.
In second pic, notice the crater on the middle stump from the butt landing on the root and then the dirt. Crappy Hemlock in that area. Most all needed to be long butted on the landing. We only started with 10 days left on a four yr contract and only had me and a full time buckerman and a heel boom loader for hoe chucking. Once I creamed out the wood closest to the landing then the next best production was the wood on the steepest hills. I would have to buck with my other saw at the landing to help out if a truck was there too. The logger was trying to give two trucks a few loads per day. That didn't happen. Maybe one day but we had a load decked from the day before.

First pic has really nice whitewood out there. The whitewood is easy falling. It's like a holiday compared to Cedar Country.
Looks like a chicken chit undercut but it's bigger than you think. Look at all the powder everywhere from ripping the 'Westcoaster' out of what was a Humboldt. All the chips got burried.

Rob Stafari

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The time had come to vanquish the maple from my friend's front yard. He's tired of augering roots out of the sewer line below. Figured was best to get it down before it does any real damage. Also getting ready to have some concrete work done and the sidewalk to front door is being replaced. Now the yard can be fixed while there is already equipment there make it easier to fill the hole back in where the stump was ground. Not a whole lot of wood in that there tree, but plenty of brush to spare. 123_1(5).jpeg 123_1(10).jpeg 123_1(16).jpeg 123_1(14).jpeg 20191003_170540.jpg

Rob Stafari

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
We've been talking about it for about 5 years now. Nasty codominant stem at the base = major week spot. Both of the main leads up top that I was climbing and rigging off from had hollow spots with ant nests. Along with the history of wind damage. Glad it is finally over with.

chipper1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
He needs to put a drop back cut in with holding wood if he doesn't want to be off the ground when the tree falls. Generally done for back leaners instead of wedges but it can be used on mildish forward leaners with a lower drop (more vertical holding wood. God hates a coward.
What are you talking about husky chucker.
Couple back leaning cherries with a little rot, fun stuff.
Screen Shot 2019-10-19 at 10.37.18 PM.png Screen Shot 2019-10-19 at 10.43.55 PM.png Screen Shot 2019-10-19 at 10.44.48 PM.png
The second one was cut above the knot my saws in 1st picture, you can see how high it is here.
Screen Shot 2019-10-20 at 10.18.38 PM.png

chipper1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Scary...
Nice job taking them down.
Worse to be in them when they're like that :eek:.
Fun to watch them blow up.
First one wasn't leaning to bad to drop, but its different working by yourself than with others, some benefits to it though also.
This is the hard leaner and the one that was cut at about 12'.
Had to change my pull angle a bit on this one.
Oh I didn't read the first post so here's the saw used to drop them.
Screen Shot 2019-10-20 at 10.22.27 PM.png

chipper1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
We've been talking about it for about 5 years now. Nasty codominant stem at the base = major week spot. Both of the main leads up top that I was climbing and rigging off from had hollow spots with ant nests. Along with the history of wind damage. Glad it is finally over with.
What's up Rob, been a while.