High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Trees you've cut

~WBF

Thecallofthewildanswered1989-2017[PAID IN FULL!]
Local time
3:24 PM
User ID
Reaction score
View attachment 192300 View attachment 192301 Some pitchy fir, nice Grand fir(piss fir), and a hemlock that grew over an old stump. Stihl 661 with a 36” bar. We are helping finish a unit up Smith River, near Reedsport, OR.
Balsam looks pretty white still. Looks clean of wind shake and w
weather check.

Like that situation then I would just cut out the far side couple of inches that the bar can't reach by borring through the undercut and out the back. Its a lot easier faster & safer than what you got going on there with the wedges.

Often we will put the West Coast Swanson in when dropping it down. (or what we call a "Westcoaster" or what you call a snipe stump) If nothing else, it always allows you to reach in further in the front when beavertailing or cutting some of the far side back cut.

I have used just one wedge for an extra step alot. I bore vertical but vee out the slot so they sink a good ways. Stronger and you can grip much better with the caulk boots.
I did it the way you did it one time and It felt like caulks on tiles..

Awesome stuff you guys.
I can't believe how much jacking you guys do there. Especially when it looks so wide open. Conventional prices are pretty cheap in BC for Falling contractors and contractor Fallers are very expensive.
It's usually steady trees so most dominant trees go with the lean unless you have another dominant one to push it. Any back leaner in front of the dominant tree get drop snap cuts and pushed. (No wedges needed on back learners with a 6" drop snap trigger to hold it in place)
So you walk a chunk of your felling face and plan your next tank by remembering the leans of the 'key players'.
That's all side hill except I put the junk down hill if I have room. A lot of Heli blocks are small so you deal with a lot of side boundaries going up the hill. I just turn everything down the hill on the side boundaries usually. If I can't buck it then let the riggers deal with it. Helicopter can always spin it for them if needed. If it's just in the boundary but leaning out to hard to turn down and I can't put it through a hole then I will leave it.
If I supervisor or client eyeballs them out then it's bring out a Jack. Very different.

Last edited:

CLEARCUT

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
7:24 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Balsam looks pretty white still. Looks clean of wind shake and w
weather check.

Like that situation then I would just cut out the far side couple of inches that the bar can't reach by borring through the undercut and out the back. Its a lot easier faster & safer than what you got going on there with the wedges.

Often we will put the West Coast Swanson in when dropping it down. (or what we call a "Westcoaster" or what you call a snipe stump) If nothing else, it always allows you to reach in further in the front when beavertailing or cutting some of the far side back cut.

I have used just one wedge for an extra step alot. I bore vertical but vee out the slot so they sink a good ways. Stronger and you can grip much better with the caulk boots.
I did it the way you did it one time and It felt like caulks on tiles..

Awesome stuff you guys.
I can't believe how much jacking you guys do there. Especially when it looks so wide open. Conventional prices are pretty cheap in BC for Falling contractors and contractor Fallers are very expensive.
It's usually steady trees so most dominant trees go with the lean unless you have another dominant one to push it. Any back leaner in front of the dominant tree get drop snap cuts and pushed. (No wedges needed on back learners with a 6" drop snap trigger to hold it in place)
So you walk a chunk of your felling face and plan your next tank by remembering the leans of the 'key players'.
That's all side hill except I put the junk down hill if I have room. A lot of Heli blocks are small so you deal with a lot of side boundaries going up the hill. I just turn everything down the hill on the side boundaries usually. If I can't buck it then let the riggers deal with it. Helicopter can always spin it for them if needed. If it's just in the boundary but leaning out to hard to turn down and I can't put it through a hole then I will leave it.
If I supervisor or client eyeballs them out then it's bring out a Jack. Very different.
Thanks for the tip. I could see that working well as long as you didn’t need that holding wood, such as a side lean or something.
We tend to jack a fair amount. It is fairly frowned upon to put the timber across the line here, and a strong emphasis on saving the timber is why we tend to jack them it seems. A little less mess to buck in as well, so you don’t have to be below logs, etc. There is a point, however, where it isn’t worth paying the faller to do that. But generally, it is preferred to jack them here. Perhaps the fiber is worth more here, or we are worth less, lol.