~WBF

Thecallofthewildanswered1989-2017[PAID IN FULL!]
Local time
3:30 AM
User ID
Reaction score
There's some cuts used in the states that bc safe don't teach
Yes they are called 'fatal cuts' Brian.
No..I think I was looking for clarification of a clear definition of terminology and clear intentions.

Yeah the books a guide line with only a Conventional, Humboldt, Swanson, West coast Swanson and Pie for certified felling cuts.

You can do what ever you want on the coast as long as you have a story ... and the story always starts with..."I was overcoming a Falling difficulty.

So everything you do, you know what you're doing and why. People walk you through your Falling quarter asking you Questions of something cut way back when (depending on the situation, say you got hurt or a witch hunt from a fatality) and you got to have a story or it hits the computer. Scenario of 15 yrs later and say you get hurt. "Look everybody... he is a perpetual offender... it's documented here he nipped off a corner 15 yrs ago?? ..or whatever.
Just sayin' People should have the answers as to what and why. Or then why are we doing it?

Last edited:

junkman

Crush it
Local time
7:30 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That block face keeps it on the stump longer so you don't break your tree top as easy. The cooos bay is much safer than a back bore cut with an alder ,if you want to send the tree down the hill in a slide to help not bust it ,snipe the bottom of your humbolt ,little tricks guys have told me to help not break or chair stuff.last i heard the mills don't want firewood.

~WBF

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
That block face keeps it on the stump longer so you don't break your tree top as easy. The cooos bay is much safer than a back bore cut with an alder ,if you want to send the tree down the hill in a slide to help not bust it ,snipe the bottom of your humbolt ,little tricks guys have told me to help not break or chair stuff.last i heard the mills don't want firewood.
"Block face", "channel cut", "Jonny hold-me-tight" Jonny hold me tighter next time lolz. Internal or external version.. basically same sh—t.
Yes, you are combating a side lean so it's creating movement in the fibers so you can aim for your lay without an early tension side peal before the cut closes.
Met an old time Coast Faller in a mandatory 6 week course we were paid to attend for displaced forest workers in '97. We were untitled to $400 per week pay up to $20,000 and additional $7000 in course fees.
...but we'll get back to that story....after I tell this story:
Now fasten your seat belts Kiddy's.
I had a reforestation company doing juvenile tree spacing (manual thinning) Had 8 yrs at the time on the saw professionally & 5 yrs snag Falling from '92. that went with the territory. Coast was just thinning and no snags but my first job as a contractor in' 92 was BC interior wet belt in McBride. Just like the coast.
It was 31 hectares about 78 acres. I show up with one guy and another guy I worked with that lived there and he had time to cut a quick 3 ha (7.5 acres) I showed up at a big party in town and banged on the door the next morning looking for my wallet. Older guy in his early 60's answer the door and turns out he picked up the wallet.I had $300 in there so I said "is the ID in there? The money is gone for sure"?..He said..."give me some credit, I'm the one that picked it up." I hired the owner of the house that night before and I end up hiring his boarder. He's all jacked up and grabs a 394 from the kitchen with a 48" bar. Lol.
I'm like..."Easy dude...you are going to poke someone's eye out, for sure.
I said he could use my Walkerized 266 until he borrows a saw. Besides me then all of them were legit Fallers. All the cedar spike tops had to get felled as well the 5' black cottonwoods that were hollow.
20" bar, 262 here we come. I hated snag falling because I was paid by the ground.
I bid low to get a reference them paid bid price minis expense and I was about an acre short of cutting half the job.
Mark would have gave me a run for my 'money' in talent but made a quick $1800 and left.
He didn't have the 'stain' power for a 6 week race.

Anyway..The old time Faller from the course:
Him and his partner took me out on the weekends as a favour in 97 and taught me in second growth Fir.
That's when I learnt the "Jonny hold-me-tight" and the compression drop straps.

The Ends.

To be considered

Last edited:

~WBF

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
A coos style cut is damn near impossible to chair out a tree and possibly a lot safer.
fd5f89251bab9f1576e1ae390195f696.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Diamond, triangle, Coos bay, it's a good cut for the simplicity of it. You can't have a lackadaisical approach like in that BC Faller video. That's a straight up insult. You can't sleep on it. I've cut patches of 100 leaning Alders in the old Cedar swamps for property developments and you sleep on them for 1/50 of a sec and you have a 5' split. The technique doesn't mean sh—t without the speed in the back. Sure if you suck and need to cut your corners in intentionally.:) j/k ..No offence to anyone. Sometimes it's needed at a bar distance or even with the dogs.
I like to get up and personal and slam the dogs in the back and cut half my vee and then stick it in the mouth and pull. I like a close race. Every time there is no split then that's a dam close race.

Yes! It barber chairs and somebody please explain how it can be safer than a back strap?

The Diamond and the T-cut demonstration were both bull sh—t. The T-Cut is BS. What's the point? Not to mention he missed a tuff in the back that snapped. It puts you in a more vulnerable position in the vid and can put you down a hill further from your trail. They say don't stand behind or exit from the back of the tree, backbar ect. but you do the safest. There are four reasons you are using a strap on BC coast and it's mainly for positioning, then protecting the wood, then uprooting, then barber charring.
Subject to change..

~WBF

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I have a question for you two, have you ever logged in north eastern america? Serious question. I haven’t logged out west so I wouldn’t be the person to ask for advice on techniques for out there... different timber and terrain period.
one is so closed minded, he will never be able to see past the end of his dick. He's probably 20 yrs younger yet 40 yrs older than I. Very old fashion. The other is very open minded, now especially for a guy that teaches a stupid book. They are both a couple of ignorant sluts. I do mean that in the nicest way .
I could fall black cotton in central BC in the morning and drive down to the lower mainland and try to get away with the same thing and be killed splat dead in the same day. People that have been on line for years need to start pulling their head out of the azz. It's a big world out there and as I said...you don't have to go that far.

Last edited:

junkman

Crush it
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
[QUOTE="
Yes! It barber chairs and somebody please explain how it can be safer than a back strap?
.[/QUOTE]

On a leaner ,i am talking alder the back strap is sap wood ,the sap wood is what seems to chair out,you could be part way though your bore and have the strap split out . the triangle cuts the sapwood away so you are left with heartwood that is less prone to chair out . I've seen guys boring alder in videos ,not always but sometimes the back strap splits up the tree on them ,only seen it on heavy leaner's though .

HYPERSAWS

West coast cutter
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
[QUOTE="

On a leaner ,i am talking alder the back strap is sap wood ,the sap wood is what seems to chair out,you could be part way though your bore and have the strap split out . the triangle cuts the sapwood away so you are left with heartwood that is less prone to chair out . I've seen guys boring alder in videos ,not always but sometimes the back strap splits up the tree on them ,only seen it on heavy leaner's though .[/QUOTE]
That's when just a face cut works well