Trees you've cut

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
8:43 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Skip to the 3 minute mark to see what can happen when you cut above your bore cut to release the trigger. Very good tip @Shanesaw80 for those that don't want their saw to turn into the rare and elusive autonomous flying model.

Edit: Video by Mr. Snelling. I tried to tag him but can't for some reason. Thanks for posting that video, I learned something valuable when I watched that years ago.
If you snip it from the bottom like @Deets066 does it’s not a problem. Perhaps he could show a video to explain what I mean.

Shanesaw80

Tree Assassin
Local time
6:43 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have a question for you two, have you ever logged in north eastern america? Serious question. I haven’t logged out west so I wouldn’t be the person to ask for advice on techniques for out there... different timber and terrain period.

I’ve never logged in the US but have logged in eastern Canada throughout New Brunswick, Nova Scotia and Quebec in hardwood. Not sure why you’re so defensive about cutting technique and any possible tips from people. If you know it all then good on you, was just trying to help out but I won’t bother to comment on your expert cutting anymore.

deye223

AIR FUEL SPARK VROOOOOM
Local time
10:43 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
c05ac57281b29986b6474d661666e909.jpg

Before
5ea426738737515477971f87ba5f9e57.jpg

After one more day of cutting and this job is wrapped up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Unfortunately at the time my 12 year old son could drive one of these like he been playing a video game up in orbost Victoria.
He just does not get saw skills ......

It’s a block face with a humboldt on the stump. The biggest benefit to using a block face is the butt hugs the stump longer because the hinge wood can bend vs snap straight off.
45cdf185bb51bbe5102480ee379651ab.jpg
34f5131d92e1a290f30e99e1a12c403e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE

Last edited:

deye223

AIR FUEL SPARK VROOOOOM
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I was gunna say I wish the cutting technique worked on our dry hard woods .......
Ya see all the wood I drop is dry ...... keeps me on my toes but lately I am starting to think I am getting to old (54) and slow for this *s-word ......

Skeans1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
5:43 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’ve never logged in the US but have logged in eastern Canada throughout New Brunswick, Nova Scotia and Quebec in hardwood. Not sure why you’re so defensive about cutting technique and any possible tips from people. If you know it all then good on you, was just trying to help out but I won’t bother to comment on your expert cutting anymore.

I haven’t on the east coast but we have hardwoods like oak aspen besides our alder these techniques work on these species as well.

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Not sure where you gathered that but logging is different in different areas and the techniques used are as well. That’s all I was trying to say. I respect your knowledge.

Last edited:

deye223

AIR FUEL SPARK VROOOOOM
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
All this talk about of barber chairs just thought I would post this .
20190712_012155.jpg
I was standing just one back step from the red because what is not in the pic is a log and I knew I wasent going to get over it with the saw , yep at this point I am thinking about my saw and not me ......
I should have known better as if you look at the bark it is so strait which means so is the wood , most of the trees around here have a slight helical look so I deserved all I got on this one ......
KEEP YOUR MIND ON YOUR JOB ......

Last edited:

Deets066

AKA Deetsey
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If you cut at or below the bore cut the tree won't snag the saw from you. The only time I see a benefit in angled cuts is when facing a tree. Angled cut just means more wood to cut to get to the same point.

If you snip it from the bottom like @Deets066 does it’s not a problem. Perhaps he could show a video to explain what I mean.

He understands completely

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I appreciate the knowledge. I knew about the bore cutting method, but I like the other two methods shown.

The scariest stuff I ever did was on a steep (but not tall) rock slope. The two trees were very hollow and leaning. You could only access them from one angle, and there was no escape route. If the land owner did not have 3 young kids, I would have left them, but luckily I was able to drop both of them w/o a problem.

As they started to go, I held the saw firmly between the tree and me for protection.

Skeans1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Not knowing how to file a saw chain kills bars a hell of a lot quicker than bore cutting.

I file by hand, I only use square file, and your response has nothing to do with my statement.

CLEARCUT

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
@HYPERSAWS are you guys missing Silvey being around down there? That’s one thing I never loved to pack out myself was the jack pack.

Good backpack jacks are certainly becoming harder to find, but I hear that the Borntrager jacks are pretty good, and they’re making a backpack set.
Yeah, we have enough stuff, that you might as well take two trips instead of killing yourself for one if we needed to pack out. These jacks have quick-connect fittings with the little plastic plugs. Seems to go smoother to just take the ram off and drag the hose with the pump. Then the plug keeps crap out of the fitting. Farther than to the next tree, then we coil the hose up.

HYPERSAWS

West coast cutter
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Many
@HYPERSAWS are you guys missing Silvey being around down there? That’s one thing I never loved to pack out myself was the jack pack.

It would be nice if they were still around.
Those Jack's are homemade I am 90% sure.
Really fast setup you pump on the up stroke and down stroke