ferris

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
3:26 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
from the first cut to the last cut maybe, but from cut to cut, no

I ran about 2 tanks through the saw bucking the logs we pulled out. about twice as many as was in the pics. I really need to back the timing off. that will be the first test in the new cant.
How far did u go with the timing advance?

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
9:26 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That's really impressive IMO. I wonder if the A-I system has changed compared to other older models like 261 etc. I think I took a pic of my ms261 filter after 1-2 tanks a few weeks ago.....I'll check & post itView attachment 153163 I'd become an injection believer with a saw like that.
You need the outerwear cover for the 261 filter.

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
From the 8 to 10 tanks that I have used, the filter does not get any chips stuck in it. I have used the filter cover since the 2nd tank. It seems to be OK.

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Nice experimental data Scott... its interesting that some modifications took a step backwards? Also looks like the biggest gains were in timing advance and the final adjustment to the transfer ports. Keep up the great work, bud.

Some of it may be due to the "order of operation" … in other words, if the muff mod was done before the timing advance, would that have made a bigger difference and the timing advance less difference … all things to ponder!

The transfer port adjustment may not have mattered w/o the other port timing changes … we just don't know.

As long as it all works together in the end, that is what matters. It is like a symphony.

Sty57

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
8:26 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Some of it may be due to the "order of operation" … in other words, if the muff mod was done before the timing advance, would that have made a bigger difference and the timing advance less difference … all things to ponder!

The transfer port adjustment may not have mattered w/o the other port timing changes … we just don't know.

As long as it all works together in the end, that is what matters. It is like a symphony.
So when you start modifying a saw for the very first time.
What is your order of things to do?
Muffler mod, timing advance, cut the base and squish and so on........

Do you have a checklist or a spreadsheet to keep track of all of your mods and how the affect the cut times and driveability?

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
No, wish I did. Sometimes I do multiple things at once, sometimes not. I usually just play it by ear.

If someone tells me their saw already runs great (like the 066 that recently came in) I just do #1, and the owner was thrilled with the saw when he got it back.

My order of operation: 1) muff mod, remove carb limiters, and low restriction air filter.

2) Timing advance

3) Base Gasket Delete (if there is enough squish).

Some saws respond so well to #1 that I don't bother with #2 (a "do no harm" attitude).

Conversely, saws like my brother's 460 did not respond much to #1 until I did #2.

Factory timing can be all over the place, I only want to advance it if it seems the saw needs it.

Iceboy

Super OPE Member
Local time
4:26 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The MS661 has a pin next to the oil pump adjustment. You push it in and you get more oil. Has anyone noticed that that the 462 seema to have a pin aswell?? I m wondering if it's the same case here??

Στάλθηκε από το LG-H818 μου χρησιμοποιώντας Tapatalk

GCJenks204

"Special Buns"
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Seeing lots of gains in different ways on these 462's from various builders. One I talked too used one stock for 2 days of falling with a 28" bar and he was impressed with it stock, can't wait to see how they look all ported. If only I had the cash to send 4 out to get done by different guys...

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So what's the signs of a saw needing more timing?
And how do you know when you went to far?

Very non scientific. If I do the mods in #1 and the saw is still lethargic, I do #2. Often works.

I usually only take .020 off the key, about 6*, basically just following what Randy often does (see his old 461 build thread).

I believe that will give you the lion's share of the benefit w/o doing any harm. If I were going to do more, I would hook up a timing light (but I don't). IMO, better safe than sorry.

tree monkey

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

the order of how you do it don't really mater, it all has to work together in the end

The MS661 has a pin next to the oil pump adjustment. You push it in and you get more oil. Has anyone noticed that that the 462 seema to have a pin aswell?? I m wondering if it's the same case here??

Στάλθηκε από το LG-H818 μου χρησιμοποιώντας Tapatalk

yes push the pin in for more adjustment