CJ Brown

I learned it from a hockey card...
GoldMember
Local time
5:03 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
On a race engine at wide open throttle, as long as the intake tract flow is optimized for the engine, there should be close to zero vacuum in the intake manifold. ideally the intake tract and carb will offer zero restriction at WOT. The pressure differential that causes air to flow into the engine is actually inside the cylinder eg: that's where the vacuum is - not in the intake. Also, many race engines have close to zero vacuum at idle as well, due to overlap on the camshaft.

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
4:03 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
We can't really compare vacuum of a bottom loaded two stroke to that of a top loaded four strokes manifold vacuum which happens from the other end of the piston with no ports to bleed anything off.
A four stroke engine has a small amount of crankcase pressure, mostly from blow-by, which has to be bled off.

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
5:03 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I don't believe the pump needs to work at fuel throttle. I believe there is enough vacuum caused by the vinturi to draw fuel from the tank
Didn't someone take off one side of the carb at full throttle and it kept running?

tree monkey

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
could test it by removing the pump side diaphragm, priming the engine to start it, and running it at full throttle. open the gas cap to insure there is no pressure in the tank

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag