Sure Mike. Sounds good. Testing!!!

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
9:13 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Jeff, I can feel the difference in torque, which I'm sure would translate to cut times.

I'm sure the best running saws will have very open mufflers, as mine do, but it does not work on every saw.

If you want, I'll bring some mufflers for testing at the CT GTG, and I'll let your or Mason or Dan run them so no one cries foul.
Im glad I am considered a trusted saw tester on here by someone lol.

deye223

AIR FUEL SPARK VROOOOOM
Local time
11:13 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Impressive results, but I would caution against applying them to all saws.

TM is expert at porting saws, and his saws need all the flow they can get.

I have a few saws that lost torque when I opened up the mufflers too much. Since I like to lean on a saw, I changed them back.

I believe that each saws has a sweet spot that will depend more on it's porting more than on any formula. (will depend on cylinder porting and ignition timing)

Also, I believe TM runs screens on all his ports??? (that would reduce flow about 50% compared to the unscreened ports some builders use?)

I put on my Motorcycle Helmet and lowered the face shield to prepare for the backlash!

This is the exact reason for my post . :thumbsup:

Spladle160

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So every saw is individual and precious and they all like their muffler drilled out a specific size? How do you know if you should try employing the use of an additional hole? I've had some bad experiences trying that.

timg

Supporter of Cat Eating Komatsu Machinery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Great test and tune session. Just curious what were the RPM gains with the quad port configuration and the almost 2-second differences any idea? Thanks for sharing!!

blsnelling

Friend of the Riff Raff
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
As far as the 461 being tested...most of the gains to be had with a muffler mod were realized with the first two ports. The additional ports may have helped a little, but the times are within the margin of error for the wood being cut. Just my opinion.

Deets066

AKA Deetsey
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
As far as the 461 being tested...most of the gains to be had with a muffler mod were realized with the first two ports. The additional ports may have helped a little, but the times are within the margin of error for the wood being cut. Just my opinion.
I tend to agree, I’d think you’d want an average of at least 3 cuts rather than just one