Tree Felling Technique Thread

Coltont

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
7:43 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Colton here's an oem muffler that ran minus two bolts for a few hours. I knew one had shaken out and then another but I had just a few hours cutting on the job and no more bolts. Finished the job with no muffler and a fat carb.

View attachment 181504

Here's a Chinese muffler ran with a missing bolt for a few days.

View attachment 181505

The current mufflers. Oem on left

View attachment 181506
Yep that looks about rite. If the bolts were loose it happened quick. I check them daily, but shart happens. You want any of this rain were getting? I'd be glad to send some your way.

bitzer

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
6:43 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Yep that looks about rite. If the bolts were loose it happened quick. I check them daily, but shart happens. You want any of this rain were getting? I'd be glad to send some your way.
We've finally had about 3 days with no precipitation. It's been a cold wet spring.

Coltont

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Was trimming after the buncher today with the 562xp husky. The sun was hitting just rite, he grabbed a big red oak, in was busy trimming. It made a big shadow cover me and made me jump! He was plenty far away from me i was safe . Just really caught me off guard getting covered up by that shadow for no reason on a perfect sunny day !!

~WBF

Thecallofthewildanswered1989-2017[PAID IN FULL!]
Local time
12:43 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Was trimming after the buncher today with the 562xp husky. The sun was hitting just rite, he grabbed a big red oak, in was busy trimming. It made a big shadow cover me and made me jump! He was plenty far away from me i was safe . Just really caught me off guard getting covered up by that shadow for no reason on a perfect sunny day !!
That is on guard. You know the quickest way to turn a Faller into a tree hugger? any faller know?

~WBF

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
It is when a bird flys over the tree you are falling, especially a big bird. That has got me about 10 times. Scary! I literally hug the tree when I see the flash of a quick moving shadow

~WBF

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
@Coltont
Good trick with the all those 362/365/371/372/385/390 Husky mufflers is to peen the little round lip on each outside where the muffler bolts go through so the bolts stay in the tube.
I use my axe and bar wrench and hardly touch it. So you will hear one bolt sliding up &back when the saw is off as you shift it when packing. The other will likely be tight still. Blue loctite is good insurance.
IDK about the 562 handle bar bolts but the 357/359 are thicker so you can always drive them in where needed. Even on a new saw with a T-handle wrench. I have done it with a 372 but they are tight. Great replacements. Not sure why they Husqvarna never upgraded with the 372/390 ?

The starter assembly is another post yet.

Last edited:

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Been a while since I checked in on this thread. Hope all you fellers are staying safe in the woods. I’ll be getting started on my logging project again once the ground freezes up...2wd tractor doesn’t like the mud.
Hello Josh.

madhatte

It's The Water
Local time
4:43 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Checkin' in, y'all. Randy -- the 562XPW you built for me is still by far my favorite saw ever. Between the grease on the filter base you suggested and the oilable prefilter I got from R Dougan in Myrtle Creek, I am unafraid to run it on fires now. Our fire season this year has been less busy than usual but still busy enough. Historically some of our weirdest and worst fires have been in September so the long range forecast of warm/dry bodes ill but profitable.

RandyMac

Stiff Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Any thoughts on directed energy weapons causing wildfires?

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Decided to say screw it and get started in my woods. Ground is still soft but manageable. It seems it is never gonna freeze up this year.

As many of us know, it’s not wise to stay by the stump when felling through other trees. A crotch on this one jammed on a 20ft tall stump on its way down, shot the butt directly backwards fast. I was safely out of harms way via my planned 45 degree escape route. Sharing for others who may not know what they should be planning prior to dropping a tree. Always have a way out and use it gents
02270148-D7E1-42F9-A7B8-892B478248A7.jpeg

Skeans1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Decided to say screw it and get started in my woods. Ground is still soft but manageable. It seems it is never gonna freeze up this year.

As many of us know, it’s not wise to stay by the stump when felling through other trees. A crotch on this one jammed on a 20ft tall stump on its way down, shot the butt directly backwards fast. I was safely out of harms way via my planned 45 degree escape route. Sharing for others who may not know what they should be planning prior to dropping a tree. Always have a way out and use it gents
View attachment 222459

Two quick way to get rid of that risk:

One a Humboldt face or even a block face there’s a reason we use it out here it was setup for steep ground to not allow the butt to shoot over the stump.

Two a small step with a humboldt is a quick little insurance policy to help make sure that butt isn’t head back at you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Two quick way to get rid of that risk:

One a Humboldt face or even a block face there’s a reason we use it out here it was setup for steep ground to not allow the butt to shoot over the stump.

Two a small step with a humboldt is a quick little insurance policy to help make sure that butt isn’t head back at you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes sir a humbolt would’ve prevented it. But what I’ve experienced with humbolt on ash is that it pulls deep fiber almost every time. If I were cutting this for firewood it would’ve been a humbolt, but this was for the mill.

By small step I assume you mean using a snipe cut on the under cut??

Willard

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yes sir a humbolt would’ve prevented it. But what I’ve experienced with humbolt on ash is that it pulls deep fiber almost every time. If I were cutting this for firewood it would’ve been a humbolt, but this was for the mill.

By small step I assume you mean using a snipe cut on the under cut??
XP, as you said about the tree landing on a 20 foot tall stump, no Humboldt or any kind of notch even with a back step is going to keep that stem in place.
Preventive clearing in the lay of chicots, snags or what ever is the upmost importance.

Last edited: