Tree down and hung up in another tree.

hseII

AKA - Karenberly's Husband
Local time
6:04 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
In the future, buy a big enough rope, (my next will be 3/4" stable braid), with the splice already in it, from tree stuff for instance: when you put it in the tree, connect it with a suitable size Crosby shackle.

You can do all that from the ground with a big shot: http://www.sherrilltree.com/big-shot-deluxe-kit

Add the heavy duty fishing reel w/ mount & it's even easier.

bcf4bdf267c420ef3550d0d2df9b0a29.jpg

2 Rings & A Flattop, LLC Test Dummy

dall

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My 5/8" stable braid is 200'ish also.

Baby Uncle has some kinda pull line rope that is 1 1/4" or 1 1/2" that is crazy strong: about 150'.

He told me to stop buying rope. [emoji38][emoji38]

heath what i have was given to me by a superintendant it was safety rope for when we are in skywalkers

hseII

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
heath what i have was given to me by a superintendant it was safety rope for when we are in skywalkers

You've got some good stuff for sure.

I'm recommending something that most anyone can buy.

I like TreeStuff.com for this kinda stuff.

fearofpavement

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It's very difficult to pull the butt of a tree that's standing on the ground (without a crawler)
I usually just keep undercutting a few feet off the butt of these "leaners" until they stand up and then you can pull them over in the direction you like (essentially refelling the tree)

nickw

A Legend in my own mind
Local time
5:04 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Some of the aftermath. One of the toughest jobs I had to do so far. I had to cut my way into the tree due to underbrush and prickers.
You need a granberg clip n trim chainsaw attachment for that. I have a 42 cc poulan set up just for dealing with brambles. Will cut a path in a hurry.

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Never heard of it. What is it?

nickw

A Legend in my own mind
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Never heard of it. What is it?
Would be best to look it up on granberg site but basically it is a bar attachment that adds fingers to hold brambles or vines so they cut clean and not wrap up in the saw or drag across your skin. $20 in the 16 inch size. Requires a hole in the bar to attach it. Great tool if you have brambles like I do. Like I say I've got a little saw that stays set up with it.

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Cool. I will check it out. I went in with a 026 swinging it like a Samuri sword. Lol.
Cleared enough so I could cut.

nickw

A Legend in my own mind
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Cool. I will check it out. I went in with a 026 swinging it like a Samuri sword. Lol.
Cleared enough so I could cut.
When I do that I always end up bloody. Those damn brambles with get you bad enough holding still much less if you give them some momentum.

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
[emoji106] Thanks for the tips.

fearofpavement

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I also buy ropes at TreeStuff. They're good to deal with and have good prices. I also got my Marvin Pole Saw there if I recall correctly. That's been a very valuable addition to my tree tool stable. If I had to do without a tool, it wouldn't be that one. I'd rather do without the Stihl HT101 pole saw.

junkman

Crush it
Local time
3:04 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
In the future, buy a big enough rope, (my next will be 3/4" stable braid), with the splice already in it, from tree stuff for instance: when you put it in the tree, connect it with a suitable size Crosby shackle.

You can do all that from the ground with a big shot: http://www.sherrilltree.com/big-shot-deluxe-kit

Add the heavy duty fishing reel w/ mount & it's even easier.

bcf4bdf267c420ef3550d0d2df9b0a29.jpg

You cuttin the tree off the stump ,or digging around the stump with the mini and pushing it over ?

hseII

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You cuttin the tree off the stump ,or digging around the stump with the mini and pushing it over ?

The stump was dug around with the mini, & in the picture, the mini is pushing while the Mustang CTL is pulling.

Works good that way. [emoji6]

hseII

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I also buy ropes at TreeStuff. They're good to deal with and have good prices. I also got my Marvin Pole Saw there if I recall correctly. That's been a very valuable addition to my tree tool stable. If I had to do without a tool, it wouldn't be that one. I'd rather do without the Stihl HT101 pole saw.

I like Tree Stuff better than anyone else I've bought from.

They are good People.

Yes, the owner sold out to Sherrill, but so far, TS is still being operated like it was before the buyout, but the same people.

Last edited:

hseII

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Sav

Saves a lot of stump removal time that way.
I like your style Dude.

I'm just picking up where my elders left off.

I did a similar thing with the JD excavator the next weekend on some sweet gum, but did not use a rope.

The 1st one went perfect.

The 2nd one taught me a cheap & valuable lesson.

Nothing was damaged, but those gum sometimes have a root that can be missed, and cause the tree to go a bit to the left of the intended lay.

That 90' gum fell within inches of the newly planted save trees , about 25 degrees to the left of the intended lay.

From now on, if I'm pushing, & there is any chance of touching something I don't want touched, a pull line will be used.

hseII

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The trouble is, sometimes there are buried items that prevent removing them like that, so utility checks must be done ahead of time.

Those Oak stumps in the 1st pics were dang big though, & would have been aggravating to have to work around if left.

Taking the tree down with the stump still on it is the easiest way to remove both, if the ground permits.

fearofpavement

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Unless you have a decent sized crawler, removing the stump with the tree attached is the most effective method.
When I was in New Guinea, the villagers there would not have access to anything other than machetes and sharpened sticks they hardened in the fire. They would dig and cut around the roots of very large trees until they toppled pulling out the stump. Then literally the entire village would take the huge tree (200' plus) and toss it over the edge of the mountain.

hseII

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Unless you have a decent sized crawler, removing the stump with the tree attached is the most effective method.
When I was in New Guinea, the villagers there would not have access to anything other than machetes and sharpened sticks they hardened in the fire. They would dig and cut around the roots of very large trees until they toppled pulling out the stump. Then literally the entire village would take the huge tree (200' plus) and toss it over the edge of the mountain.

What was the purpose of taking down those trees?