Trailer decking

Homemade

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
12:44 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have a trailer that needs a new deck. Its 7x15 feet roughly. I'm hoping that decking it self will help make the trailer stiffer. It was defiantly home build and needs more support underside but it works for what I do.

Anybody has an idea on how much some rough sawn 2x6 lumber for a new deck would cost? I do have a few people around that have saw mills but I figured you guys for an estimate before I get taken to the cleaners.

redoakneck

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Pressure treated from home Depot was about 100 bucks for 2x10 x16 ' to cover it?? 7 boards at 14 bucks each ??

angelo c

Coal Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
What are we talking about in the way of "tralier".
Everybody I know round here with an equiptment trailer uses white oak rough sewn boards. Last about 5 years with a good trac hoe or loader hauled daily.

mdavlee

Hillbilly grinder
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
White oak will be heavier and will last a long time if you seal it. It should stiffen the trailer up some.

Homemade

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'll try and get a pick tonight. It's more of a large garden tractor hauler, maybe three 4 wheelers could fit on. It's not strong enough for a skid steer. Hoping to stiffen it up and use it as a wood hauler or what ever. I was worried pine wouldn't have enough strength.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hinerman

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
11:44 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'll try and get a pick tonight. It's more of a large garden tractor hauler, maybe three 4 wheelers could fit on. It's not strong enough for a skid steer. Hoping to stiffen it up and use it as a wood hauler or what ever. I was worried pine wouldn't have enough strength.

I have had no problems with treated pine. It lasts a long time (sits outside uncovered) and is plenty strong for hauling wood on a 16' trailer. Unless you are hauling heavy equipment I see no need for anything else. But if you have access to white oak boards, why not.

Homemade

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have had no problems with treated pine. It lasts a long time (sits outside uncovered) and is plenty strong for hauling wood on a 16' trailer. Unless you are hauling heavy equipment I see no need for anything else. But if you have access to white oak boards, why not.

Thanks! That's what I'm looking for. I think if I go with 2x10's, I'll have enough strength to stiffen the trailer up. I'm not too concerned with ware on the boards from tracks and suck because it will never have tracks on it.

Hinerman

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
11:44 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks! That's what I'm looking for. I think if I go with 2x10's, I'll have enough strength to stiffen the trailer up. I'm not too concerned with ware on the boards from tracks and suck because it will never have tracks on it.

If you can find it, use lumber treated with CCA (chromated copper arsonate). You probably won't find it at Lowes. It was discontinued in 2003 for residential use, but can still be found for outdoor application. The new preservative is MCQ or MCA, and although "safer", is very corrosive to metal.