High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Tool prices (Mac, Snap On) vs working functional tool(Craftsman)

Carhartt

Super OPE Member
Local time
12:15 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I am looking at a pliers set. Nothing fancy or out of the normal specialty tool. Don't get me wrong, I love a quality tool. But man is it hard to justify a 100.00 or more for a Mac set of pliers vs a Craftsman set. Ive used both and they both do the job just fine. Why don't Mac, Snap On, etc. make there prices of there tools a little more cost effective? I don't mind paying for quality. These aren't ratchets, sockets or wrenches, im talking a pliers set.

Husky187

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What pliers specifically, needle nose, linemans, mini... etc? I have a bunch of channel lock branded pliers, from needle nose, dykes, lineman and I couldn't be happier with them. I also have some Knipex branded ones which are incredibly legit. Some of the channel lock models come spring loaded too which make a world of a difference when you need to pull a quick staple out on a job. Just my two cents.

USMC615

Fapper Fi
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Agree with ya Carhartt...I've gotten along just fine for decades with Channel-Lok, Irwin, Craftsman, etc brand pliers and non- Snap-On/Mac tools in general. I don't own a large quantity of Snap-On, Mac but I'm sure if I worked in a service garage or mechanic occupation, my thoughts might would be a little different justifying the cost.

Wagnerwerks

I have yet to "suffer" from CAD
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I believe sears still sells the craftsman rebranded Knipex. Theyre the best. All tool trucks sell them at premiums but sears used to and them warrantied them. Many mac sets are chinese now. Some are still ohio... Snapons best pliers are still the knipex.... But very pricey.

Carhartt

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have a mixed lot in my tool box. Craftsman, channel lock, Vice grip, Irwin. Probably just as many no name. I was just going to add to the my collection, some new angled thin needle nose specifically. Ill try and research the Knipex pliers and see what I can find.
I have some Klein wire stripping/crimping tools.
Does anyone else have a favorite go to Vice Grip when all else fails and you have given up hope of being fancy about getting that broken bolt or bar stud out?

Czed

Aluminium Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Knipex are expensive. Bout as good as it gets though. Irwin makes the best channel lock style pliers I've ever gotten my mitts on. Seriously check them out if you need channel lock style they are unbelievable.

CR888

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
2:15 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I like knipex, if youcan get a good deal on them.their hard to beat. But if you look there are others out there as good or near like NWS, made in Japan Minimax, Felo, Booher, Vigor, Facom, Wiha etc. Even the old stock Sandvic's are good. A lot of good pliers can be found near new on eBay. Ya just got to know what's what and which ones not to buy dressed up under good names but average quality.

earlthegoat2

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I lump Knipex in with tool truck brands. They are actually better than the trucks but they cost the same out in the world.

One brand of pliers I was turned on to recently which I had never heard of before is Pro America.

http://proamericatools.com/

This one was a total lark. Never even heard of them until I ordered a random pair of pliers from McMaster-Carr. This company seems only to make plier type tools. They really are nice. They seem like Channellock at first glance but the action is smoother and there is more attention to detail. Little more expensive than Channellock but less than the trucks.

94BULLITT

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
If you use Snap on tools daily you will be glad to pay their prices. The snap on pliers have 3 adjustments where everyone else has 2. Their pliers also have what they call a talon grip. The SO dealer had new pair of Channel locks and told me to hold on to a piece of wire as tight as I could. I young he the dealer I had the time was probably close to 70. I had a death grip on that wire and he easily pulled it from me.