popopboat

Super OPE Member
Local time
5:21 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hello,
would you guys consider this as too much clearance between piston and cylinder wall?
I know piston is upside down in cylinder, but i cannot really record other way hehe.
Do i must replace piston, if its only completely necessary please. Cylinder walls are in very well shape.

cuinrearview

Unskilled Hammer Donkey
Local time
11:21 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That looks pretty sloppy, but it's not conclusive like that. Feelers are the best test. If unavailable I have been known to drop the piston in crown up and invert the jug with the plug and decomp holes plugged. The piston shouldn't drop right out.

popopboat

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It definitely does not, actually it kinda "kicked" when i tried to push it down fast with screwdriver handle. (not the sharp side)

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That looks very sloppy. Get a 35$ meteor, too cheap to say no to cheap insurance and they are good quality.

popopboat

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Would like to, but shipping ends up with additional 30$ so..

popopboat

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hard to find an oem here actually.
But i would say around 60$ too, or even more.
I can barely fit half the double sided razor (wilkinson classic) between piston and wall

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hard to find an oem here actually.
But i would say around 60$ too, or even more.
I can barely fit half the double sided razor (wilkinson classic) between piston and wall
I don’t even need a feeler gauge to tell that piston is worn out, that’s a lot of slop just visually looking at your video. It might run for a little while with new rings... until the skirt breaks and wipes out the motor. Your choice.

popopboat

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I know that its worn out, just wanted to know if its critically worn out or could run for a while safely until i find replacement. I mean im not a logger by any means and it would be used for light duty only.
It has decent compression with old rings.
Has anyone found 52mm piston only on internet (ebay, aliexpress), already searched all over but most are 54mm or 56 kits

By the way this is 064 crankcase/crankshaft with 650 cylinder/piston and 660 handle.
I paid 80$ for it, crankshaft is in top condition (bearing), bearings dont have play, crankcase is in decent shape.
In total with new recoil, exhaust, plastic cover, air filter kit and bar it would cost me 150$.
Is it worth investing in a new piston ?

Lowest price i found 064 is 260$, and prices go up to 400$, and usually is 350$ just for reference.

Last edited:

tree monkey

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
10:21 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

popopboat

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Sorry, need 52mm not 54.
Found a guy in germany, for 20$, and overhere i found for 26$, but AIP not meteor.
Can you tell me is it even worth putting new piston or should i resell it and get money back?

cuinrearview

Unskilled Hammer Donkey
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
he's looking for 52mm not 54 mm

Sorry, need 52mm not 54.
Found a guy in germany, for 20$, and overhere i found for 26$, but AIP not meteor.
Can you tell me is it even worth putting new piston or should i resell it and get money back?
Sorry. I searched 52 first but thought "those 064s are more rare, and most of these sellers handle the full line anyway". Looks like you're on your way though.

Teemore

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
4:21 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Have a look at this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Meteor-Pis...118255?hash=item4aca08402f:g:UOcAAOxypNtSgBfW
I did a bit of research about aftermarket pistons some time ago and I came across people who have been happily using AIP pistons. None claimed they were OEM quality but they were deemed OK. If you can't get the Meteor piston at a price that suits, it would probably be better to run an AIP piston with OEM wrist pin, needle bearing + clips than your current worn piston. Saegenspezzi in Germany seem to sell lots of AIP pistons....

popopboat

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks everyone!
I definitely decided to re-build it.
According to my needs, it will probably last me for a lifetime (annual firewood), but i will always have a saw that i can rely on.
Ill make some pictures when i get everything what i need for a rebuild and will make a post about it, i doubt before summer.
Thats gonna be complete rebuild, from bits. Also re-powdercoating of a crankcase.
I guess that ill have some really nice time doing it :) as i enjoy doing that stuff.